how to use bondo

-

mopardart72

I'm a pretty big deal
Reaction score
whats all needed to fill holes with bondo tell me the materials i will need as i am stripping the dash pad and fillign the holes sanding and painting it the dash color and F glassing some gauges

no after the dash pad is ripped out there are little holes that need to be filled so it will look good

The holes on the top are way too big for bondo. You could fiberglass it if you wanted to, I'll probably be glassing from the underneath and then putting a layer over the entire top.

i was told after you rip off the dash pad. not the entire thing there is a small aluminum piece with holes that you can put tape under and fill with bondo sand and repeat til you get it smooth

why do you want to fill factory holes that are UNDER the dash pad where they will not be seen anyhow?

If you want to make something look better than it currently does and you are not experienced with body work than it is probably best to let someone who knows what they are doing do it for you......in the mean time you need to practice.

body work is not something that you can pick up over night and automatically make look good....there is a lot of tricks to the trade.

if you want to fill dash metal the right way....you will need tin and a welder and weld in new metal to fill the holes ,grind your welds off,mix up your bondo and spread it out,depending on how much bondo you use you may need to grate it down before you can start sanding.

you need to know what steps to use certain grits of sand paper and you need to know how much hardener to use in bondo and at what temperatures the bondo reacts slower and faster too and the time period you have to start tooling the bondo before it gets so hard that it becomes very labor intensive.

or as mentioned you can use fiberglass,or "tiger hair" which is a bondo like mix but with fiberglass fibers ....duraglass.

tons of ways to go about it....first practice on some things before you commit to doing something like that first .

also....there is not to much room in that area and to do a good job ....and to be able to get your tools in the area and to paint if you plan on painting after you do your work.....you will most likely need to remove the windshield.

or pull the dash frame out of the car all together but that's a project in itself and requires the removal of the windshield anyhow.

I was just going to say. Don't fill holes with bondo. Best to weld them up.

why do you want to fill factory holes that are UNDER the dash pad where they will not be seen anyhow?

If you want to make something look better than it currently does and you are not experienced with body work than it is probably best to let someone who knows what they are doing do it for you......in the mean time you need to practice.

body work is not something that you can pick up over night and automatically make look good....there is a lot of tricks to the trade.

if you want to fill dash metal the right way....you will need tin and a welder and weld in new metal to fill the holes ,grind your welds off,mix up your bondo and spread it out,depending on how much bondo you use you may need to grate it down before you can start sanding.

you need to know what steps to use certain grits of sand paper and you need to know how much hardener to use in bondo and at what temperatures the bondo reacts slower and faster too and the time period you have to start tooling the bondo before it gets so hard that it becomes very labor intensive.

or as mentioned you can use fiberglass,or "tiger hair" which is a bondo like mix but with fiberglass fibers ....duraglass.

tons of ways to go about it....first practice on some things before you commit to doing something like that first .

Everyone is right on. Even small holes, don't try to fill them with bondo. Patch the hole with fiberglass or weld it (speaking for more than what you're working on) and then use the bondo to smooth things out after you're done. The whole goal is to use as little filler (bondo) as possible.

If your talking about eliminating the dash pad and filling the holes in the frame its best done by welding sheetmetal patches into the frame, but to do this you'll have to really protect the glass or pull the dash. Another option would be to rivet some tin under the holes in the dash and then smooth with bondo. I dont think tape would be strong enough to support filler because it has to withstand vibration and lots of heat.

Never mind what everyone else has contributed.

1. Use as much hardner as possible
2. Smear on at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch all the way across
3. After you achive the desired thickness add another 1/4 inch
4. Begin sanding

After steps 1-4 are complete you will have a complete understanding of the do's and don'ts of Bondo.

ill prolly just f glass, well i want to use sum pvc pipe 2 1/16 dia and fiberglass them in for the custom look for my gauges so ill probley just fiberglass over it and sand it down

4. Begin sanding

After steps 1-4 are complete you will have a complete understanding of the do's and don'ts of Bondo.

lol that's good stuff.

4. Begin sanding

Great advice buddy lol......let me add that you may want to add an addition final 2" thick coat of spot puddy to smooth things off for a great looking finish!

its called body FILLER LOL sorry that is a pet peeve of mine, people calling it bondo....awh. anyways

Its not for filling, I would do as recomended either fiberglass or weld in a pannel, welding is the best IMO. Then grind the welds, sand blast, check for pin holes, then coat with Mars glass, Fiberglass reinforced body filler, sand, then filler, then if needed light coat of Glaze.

And yes body work is something that can take YEARS to learn, to do right that is, anyone can smear some filler on a part and sand it.

filler should never need to be a 1/4 of an inch thick! Although they do say it can be a maximum thinkness of that, More hardener makes it create more pinholes, and in that case it may harden way to quick if your not quick, make sure its mixed thoroughly

Good luck!

Yeah....BONDO takes years to master........HAHAHA just messing with you.

I always just refer to all filler in general as bondo sorry...habbit

you could start filling them with "tiger hair" a fiberglass filler with long strands in it will work and will hold up to some abuse, after filling the holes you can smooth over it with some sanding then a coat or two of neatly applied "bondo"......just filling with bondo will pop back out just from vibration but " tiger hair " will hold up for many years

-
Back