How would you guys go about this?

-
Trapster is correct. !!!!

Place it in the back seat, put on your goggles or helmet with a face sheet and put it in gear.

Trapster is correct. !!!!

Place it in the back seat, put on your goggles or helmet with a face sheet and put it in gear.

Any and all of these are great ideas but I myself would back it on a trailer and haul it because if you drive it on the freeway/highway with no windshield the next thing you will or might be replacing is the headliner LOL:eek:ops:

If you are around Sacramento, there has to be a way to avoid the freeways. If you stay under forty and wear sunglasses you should be fine. I used to ride my motocycle up there before the helmet laws, and a couple of times I rode without a helmet (I know, stupid) and my eyes watered but were fine.

In Washington the law does not require a windshield in a vehicle. It does require that you have eye protection. If it was me I would put on the goggles and drive it. Once bought a Toyota pick up in Portland (45 miles south of me). It had been next to a house that caught fire. When the fire department hit it with water the windshield was destroyed. Pulled the glass out and drove it home on I-5. Just go slow and don't tailgate.
~Michael

I don't know what's legal or not regarding front glass anymore but when I was in high school in the 80's, a guy drove his Chevelle for MONTHS wihtout a windshield. He wore goggles like a stock car driver.

oh please go with the goggles idea, just think, you save $50 dollars for the tow and you can video it and give us all a GREAT laugh. just don't get behind a dump truck lol.

If you have my luck- you will get fined for no inspection sticker lol. Def have to have someone drive infront of you to tape the whole thing hahaha. Leave the windshield wrapped in a thick blanket on the back seat or in trunk- those things arent cheap- new is over 200. Used 100 and up around here. Def wear glasses/goggles- damn bugs suck at 30mph on my atv let alone at 60- that would be like getting shot! Uhaul has trailers to rent for 60-70 with insurance for the day, and thats a full trailer-not a dolly type trailer. Or just ask glass place to swing by when they are in area. Maybe get the guy to come over after work or on break- he may do it for extra pocket money-hint hint

I bought a pair of goggles at the local Yamaha dealer and drove my 67 Coronet convertible with no windshield, but it was only about 8 miles at no more than 35 MPH. I did have the top down, but for a coupe the headliner would certainly be a worry. I might also be concerned about blowing out the back glass at highway speed (even with all the side windows down.
You would need ear protection as well. At 35 MPH there was alot more wind noise than I expected.
You would have thought a bright red convertible with no windshield, with an idiot driver wearing bright blue googles, would have attracted alot of attention. But I didn't see any other drivers looking my way, even as I sat at a traffic light surrounded by other cars.
I think everyone was afraid to be caught looking at the strange guy driving with googles.

buddy of mine drove his elcamino a from across harrisburg to get his windshield installed. He removed all the old and took his vinyl top off and did all the prep work to have it replaced.

He drove the car about 15 miles across the major highway and city with no windshield without issues. He then took the new window over on a second trip in another car ( mostly because of the lack of interior room in his car)

all worked out for him even in a town that where the cops are hungry for tickets

Buy a gasket and find a glass company (or a buddy) that will come to your house or DIY or get it towed.

Goggles and drive, what is the worst it will be, a fix it ticket?? I would be a bit worried about the headliner getting screwed up though......

-
Back