How would you repair this?

-
Is the paint chipped or just wrinkled sheet metal? Hard to tell from pics.

Is the paint chipped or just wrinkled sheet metal? Hard to tell from pics.

It is cracked right on the lip as it curls under for a couple of inches. The rest is wrinkled sheet metal. Only on the drivers side though. The passengers side is not quite as bad and is not cracked.

I would say your going to hammer and dolly the wrinkles. Sand paint off. Little plastic filler and re shoot the quarter.

I now see why you requested the moulding pictures. Oopps! That's a bummer man. How bout hemi rear wheel wells! Hope you figure it out.

I now see why you requested the moulding pictures. Oopps! That's a bummer man. How bout hemi rear wheel wells! Hope you figure it out.

Yep, I was really hoping that perhaps the trim would go a little higher and cover it for a year or two.. But sadly its just to low. I mentioned the hemi wheel wells to the wife and she just shook her head.. Well that could had been because I mentioned needing larger tires and wheels.

How on earth did you do that?

In the wrong place obviously.

folded mine up also, even stretched them, they didn't do that!

Ya, I was a bit surprised. I don't know if it was the under coating inside the wheel well. Or if there was something else that was there that may have caused it. I'm a bit bummed and its just another thing I have to do to the car.

I'm wondering if rust has weakened the metal

Might as well do mini tub and 3 inch spring relo before fixing the 1/4,s.Sorry to see this didn't,t work out so well for ya.

I'm wondering if rust has weakened the metal

That very well could have been the case. I used a heat gun and rubber mallet. Took probably half hour per side. Like stated the passengers side was not nearly this bad. Wish I would had thought to roll the lips prior to painting it.

I mentioned this in another thread, but per the norm around here, it got ignored and run over. If you roll the lip in, it is MUCH easier to take a cut off wheel and slice the lip into small sections about 2" long. Then you can easily tap each section up without any damage. I have done several like that in both primer and paint and didn't hurt the finish one bit.

I mentioned this in another thread, but per the norm around here, it got ignored and run over. If you roll the lip in, it is MUCH easier to take a cut off wheel and slice the lip into small sections about 2" long. Then you can easily tap each section up without any damage. I have done several like that in both primer and paint and didn't hurt the finish one bit.

I did cut it into sections. See I listen.....:blob:

I wish I knew, but it didnt take much of a tap for it to warp like that. At about half way bent up is when I noticed it had it start to dimple. Just ever so slightly, The more I tapped it the worse it got.. Figured at that point the damage has been started and I need to get it bent the rest of the way so I just continued. I know it looks like hell and Im irritated it did that, but Im glad I have extra paint from when I sprayed the car... Besides there are some more rust bubbles forming behind the rear wheel that I want to take care of so I guess its ok.

-
Back