How would you save Dodge?

-
Some pepole dont realize that organized labor made this country!!

I speak from an educated standpoint, I used to be a local President for an SEIU local. I saw what kinds of shenanigans go on.

So if not Bethlehem Steel, go talk to the Machinist's Union at Boeing, they are waiving bye bye to the new 787 Dreamliner line which is going to South Carolina. Great negotiating skills there at that union.

I didn't read the entire thread, and maybe I'm oversimplifying. The solution needn't be complex to work, though.

1. Do some boots-on-the-ground research to compile a prioritized list of what the consumer actually wants from the product
2. Manufacture a quality product using said list as requirements
3. Optimize all aspects of manufacturing (procurement, labor, shipping, etc) to market the quality product from a volume-oriented business model rather than make piles of money on every transaction (leave that crap to the companies producing supercars)
4. Gain trust and respect of the consumer (great customer service, etc)
5. Do really well over the long-term

I think that's roughly the plan that's been used to hand us our a$$es. Turnabout is fair play.

I didn't read the entire thread, and maybe I'm oversimplifying. The solution needn't be complex to work, though.

1. Do some boots-on-the-ground research to compile a prioritized list of what the consumer actually wants from the product
2. Manufacture a quality product using said list as requirements
3. Optimize all aspects of manufacturing (procurement, labor, shipping, etc) to market the quality product from a volume-oriented business model rather than make piles of money on every transaction (leave that crap to the companies producing supercars)
4. Gain trust and respect of the consumer (great customer service, etc)
5. Do really well over the long-term

I think that's roughly the plan that's been used to hand us our a$$es. Turnabout is fair play.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner folks! For the past few decades the companies have been telling us what we want, not listening to what we want! They study market trends, put together "packages," and basically tell us that if want one of one thing we can either have one of something else or do without. Go to Dodge's website and build your dream truck. Seriously. Try to get a tan interior in a truck with 4.11s on the site. What does the rear ratio have to do with the color of the interior?
Cliff Gromer also detailed a business model that Lee Ioacca used that Bob Lutz kept in place, that Benz honored, and then went out the window when Cerebus took over: building cars that weren't sold. Hardly fits the criteria for number three on the list. The plan is simple. If the dealerships don't order the car, don't build it. Now the company has production targets of cars built. Build a certain number and everyone involved gets a bonus. The line workers, middle and upper management. Doesn't matter these cars are sitting in the side lots rusting with no miles on 'em. *(Everyone gets paid! The company overextends lines of credit for cars that have just cost money to make and no profit because they are unsold. But everyone's happy that the company is in bankraupcy because I have my paycheck! Let's party! Woo hoo! Oh, but wait a minute, if the cars are unsold, and they're aren't showing a profit, then what happens to my job? Oh! Screw it! I have money now, who cares about next week!)* [*read with extreme sarcasm]
Really, I see on here the union/non-union debate and I've covered my feelings about that in a previous post in this thread from a dealership technician point of view. But the idea of optimizing every bit of the business needs to be understood by the unions. My wife is a state union worker and the selfishness and greed on behalf of the union astounds her. Are you really saying that you wouldn't take a pay cut and/or less bennies in order for one of your co-workers to keep a job? It happened with her union with the overwhelming majority voting to reject the governor's proposal of withholding a 3% pay raise in order to keep the number of jobs. They were willing to watch their co-workers walk out the door in order to keep three pennies on the dollar.
That being said, overloading a company so top heavy with management isn't the right idea either. How many chiefs does it take to manage that many Indians?
The quality aspect also comes back to engineering and assembling line management. Being a Ford tech for a number of years, on the body and wrench side, I always said that if, on Judgement Day, the Good Lord found a Ford engineering unworthy said engineer would be damned to Hell for an eternity of working on the s*** he designed. Anyone change a thermostat on a late model 2.7L Chrysler lately? How 'bout a water pump on a late model 3.0L Ford? Over engineering seems to be the name of the game.
Getting the unions to understand they have skin in the game would help, too. Read my last post. The idea of oh, well, let the dealerships fix it, needs to end. Why, as a Ford tech, was a I performing recalls as part of the PDI on cars? Safety recalls for things like bad welds on seat frames. Loose bolts? Having the customer come back within two weeks of buying the car to have a safety recall performed isn't a way to gain customers.
And speaking of the dealerships, ramp up tech training. Right now, in this ecomony the dealerships are looking for experienced, certified technicians. I.E. they're looking to steal techs from another dealership instead of seeking younger guys to train. Why? Because of warranty reimbursement issues. An uncertified guy can only work on customer pay whereas the certiified guy can work on factory warranty issues, where the dealership money is.
And provide a better network for your dealerships to remain viable. The dealership I worked at raised their rates from $75 an hour on cars/ $85 an hour on diesel to $90 an hour on cars and a $105 on diesel with the idea that make those who can pay pay more. As a result they've gone from seven techs over this past year, down to four, with the diesel guy being the only who's busy...
Helping with that viability brings us to number five. Great customer service. Driving away customers with outrageous pricing when other shops in the area are half that on the labor rate isn't a way to show customer service.

well from a union stand point (don't hate me I'm union) we have taken cuts in pay and benefits we do not get production bonus' and the new guys work for 4 dollars less an hour than the old timers (two tier pay scale) don't think I am complaining because my pay is pretty good for only H.S. that being said the problems belong to both the union and the company the company needs to be a little more picky about the people it hires and the union needs to stop standing up for the guy that does not want to come to work and yes the union needs to get out of politics and so do all companies

I am sorry if you are union but no one is worth $70.00 per hour to install a light bulb on a new car. Fair pay is right but that is outragous. :angry7:
$70 an hour????? where the hell do you get your info from? I worked for G.M. for 31 years and never saw $70 an hour, are you including the benefits in with that? If so you need to recalculate because the UAW fought for benefits are no where near that, they are no better than a non unions benefits. And as for installing a light bulb, theres gonna be a few more operations included in with that job. In 31 years on an assembly line I never saw a job like that.

$70 an hour????? where the hell do you get your info from? I worked for G.M. for 31 years and never saw $70 an hour, are you including the benefits in with that? If so you need to recalculate because the UAW fought for benefits are no where near that, they are no better than a non unions benefits. And as for installing a light bulb, theres gonna be a few more operations included in with that job. In 31 years on an assembly line I never saw a job like that.

Have to agree here. All those $70/hr numbers everyone quotes include estimated costs of benefits. This coming from an ex union, currently management, soon to be retired guy. Also spent the first part of my career as non union labour, so I've pretty much seen it all.

As to the workload unionized persons are to perform, I'd have to say the non unionized positions are required to perform a much larger range of duties and usually for less pay. Sounds good from a productivity standpoint, but it can play hell on your personal life as the expectation is always that you will do more tomorrow, faster, better and cheaper than you did today. At least the unions offer some protection in the form of contracts.

Chrysler's problems are symptomatic of the entire North American economy and sooner or later, somethings gotta give.

I think there is alot of circumstances that the car industry is going down.

First of all, how many of you guys are prowd of your new Mopar car. 40 years ago if you started with a Dodge, in most cases you continued with it.

How many times does the car manufacturer check the market. What is people wanting to drive? What is the needs? What is the average income so people can afford a new Dodge. When this is figured out, go to the designing team and let them do their job. Then let's build them!

But, here is the next issue! Why build a car that needs to be checked and adjusted by the dealer!!!!!! Build it right from the beginning!!!!!

If you have someone doing 2 hours wrong work from the beginning of the line that will probably take 2 days at the end of the line!

And honestly, how many want to pay for 16 hours that doesn't lead to anything? That car could have been $800 cheaper to the public!

I've been into LEAN production for years and I still find companies putting out thousands of dollars on faster machines, faster welders, faster robots. If they instead checked and found all the stops in the prduction they could find much more money then that.

What I mean is that if you work with things that work pretty well it's better to work with thing's that doesn't work quite well. There is the money . It's just a lot of waste!

And the public pays for it every day.........!

I started to drive Dodge back in 1981. I was proud of it due to it wasn't so common to see Dodge cars in Sweden. The import was closed down and older Dodge and Plymouth could be seen every once in awhile. Ever since I've been driving Dodge and still is proud of it. Even if it's a 2002 Dodge Dakota crew cab!

If you compare to the beginning of the 1970ies, I think we have the same situation going on. A lot of high performance cars is produced and the government and the public want cars the doesn't burn so much gas!

As someone mentioned earlier, why doesn't Chrysler/FIAT check the market and produce a reliable car that people can afford on a daily basis. The car must fill their needs and have good quality.

I was also a union president and have also worked in management. Bottom line, there is plenty of blame to go around. All free countries have labor unions, in fact America has much less than most other developed countries. Fact. without unions, there wouldn't be overtime, vacation pay, benefits, OHSA, or many other workers rights. Would you really want to live without these things? You union haters, can thank men like Henry Ford, who let men freeze to death waiting in line for jobs, literally. My father retired from Chrysler and was a UAW man. Do I think they are whiners at times? Definitely.

I live in a right to work state with little or no unions. I am self-employed plumber now, and at times easily beat that $70.00 mark. It really seems to enrage your typical arrogant white collar worker. They can't stand to think about a nasty plumber making more money than they do. Unfortunately for them, I have a valuable skill that people are willing to pay for. I think the union and non-union argument comes down to the same fact, people are jealous of their pay and benefits.

Any of you non-unions guys drawing government benefits right now need to thank all those lazy union guys, because you wouldn't have them without organized labors influence.

I was also a union president and have also worked in management. Bottom line, there is plenty of blame to go around. All free countries have labor unions, in fact America has much less than most other developed countries. Fact. without unions, there wouldn't be overtime, vacation pay, benefits, OHSA, or many other workers rights. Would you really want to live without these things? You union haters, can thank men like Henry Ford, who let men freeze to death waiting in line for jobs, literally. My father retired from Chrysler and was a UAW man. Do I think they are whiners at times? Definitely.

I live in a right to work state with little or no unions. I am self-employed plumber now, and at times easily beat that $70.00 mark. It really seems to enrage your typical arrogant white collar worker. They can't stand to think about a nasty plumber making more money than they do. Unfortunately for them, I have a valuable skill that people are willing to pay for. I think the union and non-union argument comes down to the same fact, people are jealous of their pay and benefits.

Any of you non-unions guys drawing government benefits right now need to thank all those lazy union guys, because you wouldn't have them without organized labors influence.

"there wouldn't be" - past tense. Do you honestly think that the 5 day, 40 hour workweek would vanish if unions ceased to exist?? That BOLI overtime laws would disappear? With all of the government bureaucracy, that OSHA would somehow be dismantled?? That a company that decided to drop vacation pay and such wouldn't get shellacked by its competitors once all the good employees jumped ship. Pshaw. Unions did, at one time, serve a valuable purpose. Nowadays, they spend almost all of their time and union dues, giving help to liberal causes that a lot of their members find very objectionable. If you think they have your best interests at heart, think again, most are out to support any and all legislation helping illegal aliens come here and take American jobs, they figure they can bribe them into union membership if they help them politically.

SEIU Executive Vice President Eliseo Medina met with Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano to discuss immigration reform.

In the first of its kind meeting -- to convene a diverse group of advocates to begin sketching a framework for reform-- Vice President Medina issued the following statement:

"Today's White House meeting with Secretary Napolitano and a diverse group of labor, faith, and business leaders is an important step towards shaping smart, comprehensive immigration reform legislation in the comings months. As the leader of the Department that has for far too long been tasked with the impossible job of enforcing broken, outdated laws, Secretary Napolitano knows first-hand how critical it is that we pass sweeping immigration reforms that are smart, enforceable and strengthen our economy for the long term.

"In coming months as the immigration debate heats up, Secretary Napolitano will play a central role in promoting real progress on the issue. In order to achieve the smart policy solution that the American public wants, we urge Secretary Napolitano to stand up publicly, light the fire and become an outspoken champion of comprehensive reform.

"Enforcement without reform has been tried for decades with dismal results. Instead of solving problems, it wastes taxpayer dollars, marginalizes immigrant communities and degrades the quality of life for all workers. In particular, expansion of employment verification programs like E-Verify is like painting the roof when the house is on fire; it's the wrong solution at the wrong time.

"For every day we delay on passing a solution to our broken immigration system, we impede our nation's economic recovery, create unnecessary divisions in our workforce, and cost taxpayers billions of wasted dollars.

"It is unacceptable to live in a country where millions of workers are living in shadows. The only way to ensure that every job in this country is filled by a legal permanent resident is to get undocumented immigrants out of the underground economy, into the system and under the rule of law. Diverse groups are aligned on the need for a comprehensive solution. Now we need the Administration and Congress to take bold steps, roll up their sleeves and pass smart reforms once and for all.

The last part is decoded as follows:

ensure that every job in this country is filled by a legal permanent resident is to get undocumented immigrants out of the underground economy, into the system and under the rule of law.

Translation: we make all 20-30 million illegal aliens legal with the sweep of a pen. No more illegal aliens, they're legal now. Amnesty is what the unions are supporting.

I've got a radical idea, why don't we ensure that every job in this country is filled by a US CITIZEN or someone who has obeyed our laws and gone through the Naturalization process and has learned our history, our language, our culture, and our Constitution and supports it??

Keep paying your union dues, illegal aliens need your support.

-
Back