Howard Cams

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
Ordered a Howard cam for my 5.9 magnum on 10-14 through Jegs stated 2 weeks to get then changed to 11-14 checked on it changed to 12-2 Is Howard so busy that it takes that long to grind a cam canceled and ordered one from Oregon cam Ken said 1 to 1 1/2 weeks to make since I'll have time off over Thanksgiving hope it will be here by then

It may be a Howard's problem, or, it may be a Jegs problem.

The reason I say this is because several weeks ago I ordered a set of American Racing wheels and the delivery date kept changing. Now I have a delivery date of 12/10. It hasn't changed recently so perhaps that's a good date.

I wish I had the luxury of changing manufacturers as you do, but I don't have that option in the style of wheel I've chosen. I could pay the price from American Racing, but its substantially more.

With all that being said, it could be something happening on Jeg's end. Its hard to believe that Howard's or any other major manufacturer would run out of stock on high use items. Then again, who knows? We're low hanging fruit and at the mercy of the internet gods!

I ordered a lunati cam from summit about 6 months ago, exact same issue. Ended up canceling it.

Wow one thing I hate to do is beg someone to spend my money buying their product and/or service but it seams like that is the norm

Wow one thing I hate to do is beg someone to spend my money buying their product and/or service but it seams like that is the norm
Did you call Howards? Summit and Jegs get's a huge price break by buying in large quantities. Maybe Jegs was waiting for enough for a big order.

Did you call Howards? Summit and Jegs get's a huge price break by buying in large quantities. Maybe Jegs was waiting for enough for a big order.
Yes I'm use to dealing with this in the industrial supply business which comes and goes on delivery and price when not placing with a stocking order depending on the size of your account

I had similar issue , thru summit Howard's camshaft would took way too long, then I got one off eBay came in 5 days. I sent a camshaft to Oregon cams took 3 weeks to get back to me. Was worth it though.

I've ordered (Summit/Jegs) quite a few items that show expected delivery typically 2-3 weeks, and gotten them in about a week, week and a half. Isky Cams, Blueprint short block to name a few. Also direct ordered a custom Isky cam and had it in a little over a week. The only stuff that exceeded the listed timeframe were some Mopar Performance parts.....they are a crap shoot if not a likely bona fide backorder, or unobtanium item for sure.

I've gotten 2 howards cams from summit. One came in 3 days directly from howards. The other in about 8 days from howards. Both said 2 to 3 weeks out. Got lucky I guess.

Ordered a Howard cam for my 5.9 magnum on 10-14 through Jegs stated 2 weeks to get then changed to 11-14 checked on it changed to 12-2 Is Howard so busy that it takes that long to grind a cam canceled and ordered one from Oregon cam Ken said 1 to 1 1/2 weeks to make since I'll have time off over Thanksgiving hope it will be here by then
You're in great hands with Ken.. I live close by so I'm able to go talk to him and discuss my needs and wants.. I'm actually on the 3rd grind of my original cam.. I 318 came with a purple performance 464.. he grounded into a solid lift cam that was in the 600's lift and then had my cam reground into something smaller and less radical.. walk in with it and about two or three days later I get a call to come pick it back up.. I think it was $79 to regrind the cam and like $4 each for the lifters to be touched up..

You're in great hands with Ken.. I live close by so I'm able to go talk to him and discuss my needs and wants.. I'm actually on the 3rd grind of my original cam.. I 318 came with a purple performance 464.. he grounded into a solid lift cam that was in the 600's lift and then had my cam reground into something smaller and less radical.. walk in with it and about two or three days later I get a call to come pick it back up.. I think it was $79 to regrind the cam and like $4 each for the lifters to be touched up..
Yep seams like a pretty down to earth bunch

Wholesale houses pay tax on their inventory if they cant send it back to the manufacturer during audit time. It may just be they dont stock it and Howards has more to do than grind 1 Mopar cam? Maybe they have to do 10 at a time to make it worth while in setup costs. Dont know, all I remember was during inventory week at my electrical supply house, our shelves were bare and everything was boxed up to be "shipped back" to the manufacturer (although it never really left the building, and never would)

Yep seams like a pretty down to earth bunch
I shake my head when I read people not getting calls back from Big manufacturers or when they do get a call back finally weeks later or something they just get some techline person that's taking your information and reading the formula off of a chart... If Ken isn't available he will call you back, it's likely he could be out drag racing or something like that.. when you go to his small Warehouse like shop with a small few man crew you will never have seen so many cans in one place in your entire life.. shopping carts full, Cam's bigger than you! I mean what do these things go to?... 6 ft tall and 6 ft inches diameter?...
I tell people get anybody's specs and send your cam to ken and he'll grind it into anything you want for half the price...
OR LESS!!...

Wholesale houses pay tax on their inventory if they cant send it back to the manufacturer during audit time. It may just be they dont stock it and Howards has more to do than grind 1 Mopar cam? Maybe they have to do 10 at a time to make it worth while in setup costs. Dont know, all I remember was during inventory week at my electrical supply house, our shelves were bare and everything was boxed up to be "shipped back" to the manufacturer (although it never really left the building, and never would)
Not all states have an inventory tax we stopped that some time ago

-
Back