Hows this sound?Combo/camshaft

-

Hallzy

Reaction score
Go easy on me fellas looking for advice with cam selection or thoughts on this one
400/451 Half filled hard block
Scat crank & rods
Ported stealth heads w/Manley valves and upgraded locks and retainers
Rpm dual plane
Comp pro magnum roller rockers
Icon pistons 10.5:1
Morel solid roller lifters
Bullet cams
264 271 @ 50
626/626 lift
105° lsa
This is all the info I currently have from the machine shop and I'm a total rookie here so tell me what ya think.
Mostly a street car but I would like to give my boss a run for his money one day he's running 10.6 if I could get into the low 11s I'd be pretty stoked.
I know these heads will be the choke point we had them flowing 298@500 but its a start

Last edited:
No expert here but i think your cams a little much for a dual plane and your combo in general. Depending on your weight you could be in the 10s. I run 9.60s at 2700 with a 440 .030 over 12.5 and a 255 @ .050 .618 solid roller. Promaxx heads mw ports with just casting cleaned up. And an indy single with 1000 demon. But with you bigger cid the cam might be close.

No expert here but i think your cams a little much for a dual plane and your combo in general. Depending on your weight you could be in the 10s. I run 9.60s at 2700 with a 440 .030 over 12.5 and a 255 @ .050 .618 solid roller. Promaxx heads mw ports with just casting cleaned up. And an indy single with 1000 demon. But with you bigger cid the cam might be close.
Thanks for your input i appreciate it. Weight should be around >3300. It may be a tad too much but intakes and heads can be swapped easier than cams right!!! LOL it never ends does it.

Well then my best guess is that u have too much cam and not enough intake. For that cam ur gonna need a single plane intake and 4.30 gears. Kim

What's the measured compression ratio? "10.5:1 pistons" doesn't mean 10.5:1.

Machine shop was figuring 10.7 trying to keep it on pump gas

Last edited:
Well then my best guess is that u have too much cam and not enough intake. For that cam ur gonna need a single plane intake and 4.30 gears. Kim
THIS ^^^^^^^
Bingo, winner!

Swap the intake, you have enough cylinder head, it is not a choke point. The item that chokes the engine is the intake. What carb is on top. (Size) Listing the full set of flow numbers at there various points would be super helpful. Not just one data point. (So not helpful) Saying their fully ported and the kind of head they are is important and glad you did say.

Nothing is assembled yet so I only have limited information and I apologize for that. Actually the reason I'm asking you guys is I would like the knowledge so I can have some input with the builder rather than just waiting to see what I get. You all know what works I do not.

Nothing is assembled yet so I only have limited information and I apologize for that. Actually the reason I'm asking you guys is I would like the knowledge so I can have some input with the builder rather than just waiting to see what I get. You all know what works I do not.

I understand. It's best though to have the exact information before making a selection. On the off chance something is figured wrong, you don't want to make your selection before you know the exact final static compression. Otherwise you're just guessing.

How’s it sound? I bet it would sound incredible with 13:1 and a single plane and a 1050 dommy up top.

THIS ^^^^^^^
Bingo, winner!

Swap the intake, you have enough cylinder head, it is not a choke point. The item that chokes the engine is the intake. What carb is on top. (Size) Listing the full set of flow numbers at there various points would be super helpful. Not just one data point. (So not helpful) Saying their fully ported and the kind of head they are is important and glad you did say.
Int
.200-89
.300-196
.400-267
.500-298
.600-306
.700-314
Exh
.200-117
.300-168
.400-191
.500-212
.600-223
.700-231

I should mention also they figure they want to dyno it with an 850 carb.....too small?

A Victor will do if u have room for it under the hood. I think the TF is a copy. At least a 850. I run a 1000 on my 470. Has a Comp solid roller. 275/275. 108 with .625 lift. Kim

A Victor will do if u have room for it under the hood. I think the TF is a copy. At least a 850. I run a 1000 on my 470. Has a Comp solid roller. 275/275. 108 with .625 lift. Kim
Got any for sale? I see you are in Kindersley I'm in Wainwright but my nephew lives in your town

You kinda remind me of a few folks who came looking for a 500 h/p street engine, and although I recommended cooling it down, they insisted BIG Power.
We had to de-tune them, cam and all, for them to be able to drive it without two feet.
Re-replaced just about everything, and they're real happy now.
If you've never had a big power car, go easy, cuz you can easily overdo it,
- and you still got to get it to hook ! ! !

i have a torker 2 that would be a better option for you. also its tought to figure some things out. cam grinders want converter, gears, weight, power, torque, etc and then converter builders need all about the same and the cam. so what comes first the chicken or the egg

You kinda remind me of a few folks who came looking for a 500 h/p street engine, and although I recommended cooling it down, they insisted BIG Power.
We had to de-tune them, cam and all, for them to be able to drive it without two feet.
Re-replaced just about everything, and they're real happy now.
If you've never had a big power car, go easy, cuz you can easily overdo it,
- and you still got to get it to hook ! ! !
Well why build the small block and not be happy to only do it the way you wanted later and spend twice as much? I wanted a big block a body and thats it. There was no question of if or should I just do it.

Sorry for the thread jack but how are you liking the Promaxx heads? I was dead set on the Trick Flows but the promaxx is starting to look pretty good.

I like my promaxx heads almost 4 seasons no issues. But im eyeing up the 270s cause theyll make more power on a new build im planning. Bang for buck from what im reading the trickfliws are real nice. If you already got heads though and its a mostly street car i dont think me personally would spend the money

-
Back