HP & TQ difference between 10.1 comp to 11.1 comp?

-
You know what nobody seems to talk about? 2 things;
- 1)When the engine is running anywhere other than Wot, It is throttled. Or if a smaller than optimum carb is installed, it could also be considered throttled. A throttled engine could be running down to say 6/1 effective, or 5/1 effective cr, or any number in between, the designed cr and the low throttled effective. High octane gas not needed.
- 2)Fuel economy. The higher you get your effective cr (Ok, within limits) the more fuel efficient your engine will be.
-So for guys like me, with streetrods, c/r is very important. If I can get 1 or 2 or 3 mpgs better at 11/1 vs 9/1, over the course of 10 or 15 years thats a nice chunk of change. And dialing back my timing 2 or 3 degrees, or upping the fuel from 87E10, for Wot running a couple of times a year? Not a deal breaker. And yup, 11/1 does put a nice bark in the pipe. And if, like my S, it still goes 93 in the 1/8, thats a bonus.
As always, just my 2 cents, and what worked for me. No longer theory.

Heres street theory; build to 9.2/1 dcr.Use non-detonation prone chambers. Put a 500V-sec carb on it( to start with), or a spread bore, for street with street gears. Tune the timing for 87. Drive it. For track duty slam a 750+ on it and refuel/retune/regear. If you run into detonation, and have to back out the timing; either,slow down the burn time, or suck some heat out of the chambers.
Since 99%+ of my time is spent on the street. This went from theory to practical.In 125,000miles I estimate that I have saved MORE than $7500 IN FUEL COSTS ALONE.
I suppose I should add; 1) if you have limited knowledge or funds or time. a 9.2dc/r might not be the greatest place to start. You will need to be sharp on the tune. And 2), if you have a melt-down, and you tuned it, its your fault. Not parts. Not me. Not the combo. Just the tuner.
-And getting back to your original Post question;First;If you had a street BB, its already overkill in an A-body, so who cares. But for us SBMers, IMHO, at least enough to carefully research. My wife liked the $7500 after tax money I didnt spend on fuel.

I like to hear all yalls opinions on stuff.. Just real world talk on real life combo's. I just came accros a article talking about CR's and figure I would start a topic.. Lol my life has turned very boring the last 6 month's and need this stuff to keep me going lol. Been mechanic for 10 yrs and had to stop and go drive a truck for awhile bc my back and hip is messed up. Have already had one surgery on hip and need second and then back surgery. So I had to stop wrenching for a bit until I have some surgery done and I am really hating driving a truck. Its so freaking boring, never home to see the kids and wife and never get to work on anything when I do come home so I just like to talk about things to keep my mind sane lol.

Very sorry to hear about your physical troubles.
So What are you working on?
How many kids, then? Any old enough to help, or be interested, in the wrenching?
I read that statement at the bottom of your post. Theres definitely pride in bringing a project from theories and ideas to a well-running, well driving, conclusion.

Well I have too many projects lol. 67 barracuda, 69 super bee that was my first car and drove to high school. I built a mild 383 for it back then. It was .060 fordged pistons, and steel crank. 9.2 to 1 comp and crane 268h cam eddy dp4b intake and thermoquad. Fun car. I'm restoring it now. Have a Dakota drag truck that I'm finishing up... Once I get it done and dialed in this year I will prob race it some then sell it to fund the other ones. I have a 7 yr daughter and a 18 month boy. Mopar's and building them is my passion. I read more tech articles and Mopar performance books starting at around 14 yrs old then I did school books lol. I've built a few sb and bb but all mild street builds. I have a valve machine and do my own head work. And build my own trans. I owned a transmission shop for a while until the property was sold out from under me. Anyways the last sb build was the most aggressive and built it for the street but its too much. Just not practical. So I'm changing it over from street use.. I ask lots of questions " some make me sound dumb and I know the answer I just like to hear others comment" bc you can never stop learning. Always going to be some good advice to learn and improve on. I was lead tech in last shop. Always told my techs to never be afraid to ask questions. And I told them not only did they learn from me but I usually would learn something from them or with them about it also. And also told them never think you know it all bc if you do then you stop learning and will no longer know anything. Its better to sound less knowledgeable and ask and learn then to not learn at all.

With a 7 year old, ima thinking your still young. Too young to have so much physical troubles. Im guessing, accident?
But lead tech, doesnt usually come along at too young an age. So ima guessing, youre pretty good at what you do. And the tranny shop points in that direction as well.
Congrats on the kiddies. They will be a source of much pleasure as they grow up. And if trained up right will be companions, and friends, when they mature.
I wish you only good health, and every success, and that the roaring lion not find you.

Yes multiple accident's. Grew up on a farm and between lifting way too much as a kid and dealing with wild cows I went from being young to old really quick. Ruptured 3 disc and fractured my femur at age 14 they treated the back injury's but not the hip. Walked on it with a cane in school for a year. At 15 completely broke my femur in half rolling the ball joint over. Doc said ah its just your back causing the pain. Lol ya right. Enlisted in army at 17 bwent thri training until I couldn't run anymore. Docs finally found it but was too late. The joint was wipe out like a 90 yr old man. Had reconstruction surgery with a plate and 26 screw's. But I'm sure you can guess how it goes from there. It wasn't easy getting a job being so young. So I started the shop until parents divorced and sold the property and building without letting me buy it first. But after that I got a shop to give me a trial week to see if they would hire me. 2nd day I was hired. Few years after that I was offered a job in another shop for more $. Went there. After 6mth I was moved to lead tech. Hardest thing about getting a job was all the shops required ASE certs.. I still have yet to take the tests. Honestly I never had the time. Papers don't fix cars. I hired 3 ASE cert techs while I was there.. Fired all 3 bc they couldn't even fix car. Good test takers I guess.. But the ones that I had there that didn't have certs well they still have a job. Anyhow yes I'm young , 27 can run with most the older ones, But.. I love to learn and I soak it in like a sponge. That's the only way I am able to be where I am today. I'm not embarrassed to ask or learn. I mean what other boring loser 27 yr old reads camshaft theory books and engine building books for fun? Lol

Thanx for the personal tour. At 27, you could be my youngest son. My blood son just turned 30.
Well, I read those books too. But I was a Lot older when I started.Mom said as a young tyke, I liked to take everything apart.She never said wreck stuff.She said I was curious.
As a teener and young man, I had no goals, just wandered from job to job. When I got married at 24, people said I better get a grip on life. That got me started on the trail of taking stuff apart again to see how it worked.Three kids came along between 80 and 84.The rest is history. Im going on 62 now, semi-retired, and looking to give back.
-And youre right papers dont fix cars. I never made a ton of money, but in 30 years I always had work. I like to think God takes care of his own. I have always had a strong, healthy body and a sound mind. So I can only imagine your situation and empathize. Although I have had toothaches on occasion, I cant imagine thats worth mentioning.
-So Tn is a long ways from here, so I wont be coming over for a beer anytime soon. but if you care to chat now and then, feel free to pm me. Or you can keep it public. Im a private(loner) kinda guy. People have called me a nerd, and a loner, and a bookworm, and worse. But Im always willing to share.
-Time is the one true commodity that we are born with. Its in how we chose to,or are able to, spend it, that counts in the end. Kiss your wife, love your kids, share your time with them, and may God bless you.

-
Back