Hub Vs Lug centric

-

Lustle

Reaction score
So new wheels/tires are needed for my Scamp. The 205's on 14's all around just don't cut it. It will just burn the tires through first and well into second if I mat it. Making it interesting to race light to light. As cool as it looks in front of everyone.

So I understand the difference between hub and lug centric. I would PREFER hub centric. As keeping the weight on the hub just makes sense to me. None of the aftermarket wheels I can find are hub centric. So I was going to use hub spacers to promote the wheel riding on the hub. But none of the spacers I can find fit the particular wheels I am looking at. In the end I might have one of my customers at work machine me a set.

Which brings me to my question. How bad is it to run lug centric? Does anyone here run lug centric? And will I run into any problems are the track with lug centric rims running 11/12s or faster? I wanna hear your experiences with it.

Lug centric stresses the lugs alot. I've broke plenty offroading, never on a car though. Be sure to get good aftermarket lugs and check them regularly.

I had wheel vintiques lug centric wheels at one time. Terrible.

Good to know. I was actually looking on their wheels, they were on the list. I'll definitely reconsider now.

Lug centric stresses the lugs alot. I've broke plenty offroading, never on a car though. Be sure to get good aftermarket lugs and check them regularly.

I'm most worried about snapping one while headed down the track. I'm running extra long drag style lugs. I am sure they are strong. But like I said. It just makes sense to run the wheel on the hub. It's what its there for.

Whats your hub dia and your wheel pilot hole?

Not sure of hub diameter. I would have to measure to double check. Most of the wheels I am looking at are 3.300.

3.3 would be 83mm or 83.82 to be exact, measure your hubs in mm and let us know. I believe they make a 83mm to 71.5mm ring

I never even HEARD of this until the dubya dubya dubya came along. Many of the "steel spoke" off road wheels had oversized center holes, to accomodate the different hubs of the various 8 bolt 3/4T trucks. Nobody I ever ran around with EVER had a problem with OS center holes. The wheels on my old 70 were not hub centered, and I've had a few since. Never had I had a problem.

X2^ wheels on my 95 bronco are lug centric and have been for at least 10 years, and have had no issues, mainly street driving but has seen some offroading. I always torqued them to 100 ft lbs with a torque wrench and thats what I torque my wheels down to on my demon

Until the all the rice-burner stuff came along, nobody ever worried about "hub centric" wheels, or the center hole spacers, and other assorted paraphernalia. We never bothered with this stuff back in the '60s-'70s and I can't recall ever having a problem with it. Even the aftermarket wheels with the slotted lug holes and special shanked lug nuts and funky oval washers seemed to work just fine. I don't know why they wouldn't work today.

Thanks guys for all your info. The wheels I want are only Lug centric, so I'm gunna run em and find out!

Either is fine as long as you have all the right parts and everything is made to work together.

-
Back