Huge Upholstery Disappointment

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Found what looks like "curry spice powder" under the "65 Formula S bucket seat I just paid $125.00 USD to re'cover. The guy wanted to use fabric on the seat bottom but I insisted he use the burlap I provided. I chose the camel color and the guy was to provide the labor and other materials. Not only did he not replace the 55 year old foam, but now the seat back has no support. The back of the factory seats have a solid feel (like knocking on wood) but his seat only has the vinyl material with nothing to back it up.

Last edited:
Photos

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

Last edited:
Did you provide the foam? Did your quote for the job include foam?

You insisted on certain materials, which means the shop was already doing something different from what they would normally do. Could be a case of them doing exactly what you told them to do, or at least, what they thought you told them to do. $125 to fully re-upholster a seat is pretty much nothing, especially if they were to provide all the materials. Sounds to me like you paid for a cover, not a full rebuild.

If the 60 year old foam is turning to dust, I would think the customer would normally be consulted regarding rotten foam. However, here in Mexico local customs may be different.

Last edited:
If the 60 year old foam is turning to dust, I would think the customer would normally be consulted regarding rotten foam. However, here in Mexico local customs may be diferent.

I think that would be the right thing to do, absolutely.

But considering a new cover from Legendary would be well over $300, and the seat foam material would be another $80, just having a cover made for $125 seems like a steal. Now I know pricing is different in Mexico too, but it seems to me like you paid for a new cover and install and not a rebuild. They probably should have confirmed that when they had the seat apart though. It does seem pretty clear in that first picture that the foam is pretty rough, so maybe they figured you already knew?

Sounds like there was some confusion there on what exactly the job was going to be.

Personally I'd take the time to just rebuild it yourself. People tend to think that this stuff is voodoo magic when it's really quite simple. The voodoo magic involves people that use a sewing machine to make custom vinyl covers themselves. The rest of it literally just involves putting the burlap and foam on the seat, putting the vinyl cover on inside out, folding the vinyl cover over the seat and then hog ringing it to the frame while pulling everything tight and ensuring it is even. There are people who will do all sorts of difficult and intricate stuff to their cars but they're hesitant to do this job when it is not really very difficult to do at all.

I know it sucks to pay the money and not get what you wanted but like was said before, the cost of foam itself is higher than the total you paid for the entire job so I think there was an honest misinterpretation by both sides there.

-
Back