Hughes Converter Issue

-

JimmyV

MOPAR!!
Reaction score
Ok, i am going to explain this as best as possible so bare with me, i had a b&m torquemaster 1900-2400 stall in my car 360/727 with a b&m sfi approved flext plate, i recently made the jump and ordered a hughes 3500 10" converter, couple issues i am having.

1. the new converters weight hits the flex plate leaves about a 1/4 gap between then converter mounting tab and the flex plate. not allowing me to bolt it up to the converter flush.

2. it seems i would have to put some spacers inbetween the flexplate and the converter which does not seem right.

couplet hings i have noticed

if i lay both converters side by side on there snouts and take some basic measurements the new converter comes up slightly smaller, to be expected being an overall smaller converter,

if i put the flex plate on the hughes converter with some washers..enought to make it flush and bolt up it comes out almost the exact same as when i take the flexplate and put it on the b&m converter....

do i just need to get some spacers and throw it in and be done? am i over thinking this? does it seem normal to have to space it?

my old converter had a 11" bolt spaceing where the new one has a 10" the b&m flexplate does have both on it so that is not an issue...

Pleas help!

one picture showing how high the weight sits... the other showing the flex plate laying on converter

13396560_10207811174210024_1899855172_o.jpg

13396560_10207811174210024_1899855172_o.jpg

took another set of measurements...the converters are the exact same size from snout to mounting tabs..so i think i just have a blem converter

took another set of measurements...the converters are the exact same size from snout to mounting tabs..so i think i just have a blem converter
don`t know, but I think u got the wrong convertor.

Bob may be correct. Contact Hughes and see what they say, and the reason (should be) the mounting is different, is the 3500 stall is probably a 10" converter, where the lower stall may have been either a 12" converter(with a narrow ring gear) or a 11" converter with the wider ring gear. I hope when you ordered the 3500 stall converter, you gave the supplier ALL INFORMATION your engine-rear axle ration and tire size. Any mis-information will not get the converter you need.
Over the years I spent in the industry, I saw many so called bad converters because the buyer didn't give the converter builder the right information. Another quick question, did you buy the converter new, or used/

what is the part number of the B&M flexplate....is it for an externally balanced 360?....

got it handled.....the flex plate i have wont work with this converter, simple fix just had to order a different flex plate, i did question the possition of the weight and how it was situated on the converter and even sent pics into hughes and they assured me that that was how they weight should be and it will be fine... simple fix on my end

Bob may be correct. Contact Hughes and see what they say, and the reason (should be) the mounting is different, is the 3500 stall is probably a 10" converter, where the lower stall may have been either a 12" converter(with a narrow ring gear) or a 11" converter with the wider ring gear. I hope when you ordered the 3500 stall converter, you gave the supplier ALL INFORMATION your engine-rear axle ration and tire size. Any mis-information will not get the converter you need.
Over the years I spent in the industry, I saw many so called bad converters because the buyer didn't give the converter builder the right information. Another quick question, did you buy the converter new, or used/

i purchased new direct from hughes!

I dont see why its wrong
because they said internal balance???
the weight is on the converter so...
I have used the same one on my 360 for 10 years with out problem
will need maybe diferent bolt but that aint very costly

What's with the off the shelf converter? You know better! Glad it worked out!

I dont see why its wrong
because they said internal balance???
the weight is on the converter so...
I have used the same one on my 360 for 10 years with out problem
will need maybe diferent bolt but that aint very costly
its wrong for my application... the converter i have is 5/16 bolt...the one they pointed me too is 7/16

I guess in hinsite I cold have kept my external balanced flex plate and just popped the weight off the converter.......correct?

I do think that ma mopar do sale the right flex plate
for what you need

I didnt know you could buy a performance torque converter
with that small of bolt (sorry )
the 2 off the shelf converter that I bought hade the 7 16 bolt so...

I do think that ma mopar do sale the right flex plate
for what you need

I didnt know you could buy a performance torque converter
with that small of bolt (sorry )
the 2 off the shelf converter that I bought hade the 7 16 bolt so...
He said his was 7/16 bolts. His old verter was small bolt which is common for lower stall units

-
Back