Hughes converters?

-

peelo57

Reaction score
Last winter i rebuilded my 318.
KB 167, about 9.5 comp, lunati 10200701 cam .454/.475, summit 600cfm carb, home porting on heads, valve job...

runs nice and still gets decent mileage, 18mpg
rear gears are 3,23.

This winter its time to rebuild transmission.
planing to install tf 2 shift kit and using basic rebuild kit to refresh my 904 trans.

Because i live pretty far away from nearest custom trans/torque converter builder its too expensive order custom converter.

I was wondering would this be ok choice of the self converter?
has anyone here used hughes converters?
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/hup-27-25/overview/

Shipping is going to cost the same on either converter. I'd spend the extra $300 and get one matched specifically for my exact car.

I ran that converter for a year, It was just ok, I than spent the money for a custom built one, and wow what a diffrence. You wont be dissapointed in spending the extra money this time, read all the post on converters vs special built, believe it cause its true.

With that build you'd still be fine with the stock converter...

reason i am thinking of swapping converter is stock one is really inefficient.
it slips about 400 rpm at 60, and it stalls at 1400 rpm.

3.23 gears and tires I have. I should have 2600 rpm at 60, now I have 3000...

btw. Can condition of trans effect how converter works? Stall and slip at cruise?

I contacted to ptc last week. Still no answer, don't know if they even ship to Finland

Gues-ta-met of your horsepower? It's a factor.I knew little about converters at the time. I installed the Hughes 27-30 lock up about 10+ years ago (still running it). in a low horsepower Dart.Had about 185 hp at the wheels. When ordering my number wanted was a 3000 stall so I guessed that would be ok. It stalls between 1800-2200 max. Called Hughes to ask "What's up?". Answer was "Put about 350 horse power in front of the converter and it will stall 3000 rpm".My fault.Lesson learned. Add about 1000 rpm to what you think you need and maybe you will hit your target stall.For my street car it works well for a driver.Just a thought..

Shipping is going to cost the same on either converter. I'd spend the extra $300 and get one matched specifically for my exact car.

I'd have to agree with the above.

Think of it this way, if you put that converter in and are unhappy with it, and your car doesn't perform the way you want, you will be doing it again.

Just food for thought.

There are better converter brands out there. That's JMO.

hmm.

ok then I will wait for answer from ptc.

I know my engine isn't really hp or torque monster :)
but its nice peppy driver.

Give this guy a call..Ultimate Converters, Lenny is the best in the business 1-704-892-6837 he'll build you exactely what you need and it will perform just the way you want..

I don't know anything about that particular convertor but I am running a 2800-3000 Hughes convertor in my 440/727 and I love it. I guess it depends on what you like and the pocket book.

hmm.

ok then I will wait for answer from ptc.

I know my engine isn't really hp or torque monster :)
but its nice peppy driver.

That's why the converter is very important to you. You want every bit of power you can get to the rear wheels.

Hughes makes decent converters. I've used 2 in the past and mechanically they lasted good but the problem is all I've seen them offer is off the shelf units that almost never stall what their rated at. The last one I used I put in a buddies 440 magnum Challenger. It was rated at 3000 stall and even with a very good running 440 magnum it only stalls 2800. As the guys mentioned a custom converter is the way to go. If you ever got to experience how much difference a good custom converter can improve your cars performance you'd never by an off the shelf unit again.

still no word from converter builders.. Anyway if you read from Hughes web pages it clearly says how to estimate stall speed. healthy, not overcammed bb should stall where they estimate, healthy not overcammed SB should stall 300 rpm below their estimation.If engine has big cam it even can stall over 500rpm lower that they estimate. so 2500 rpm converter should stall bit over 2000 on my 318.

btw do I need new flexplate, bolts, etc for custom converter or Hughes converter?

-
Back