Hughes Engines 426" Magnum smallblock...yummy!

-

Beatnik

Reaction score
Hughes just posted an update on their website (see link) on their latest small block incarnation. It's a 426" Magnum mill with all the good stuff that makes 600+ hp on 92 octane. Man this is the kind of stuff that gives me goosebumps when I think of it sitting between the fenders of my Dart...

Imagine smoking your typical bigblock (Chebby or Ferd) guy who thinks his car is the **** like he's standing still and then popping the hood and showing him your "little" smallblock? Oh, that would feel so good.

Dave if your listening, make this thing available as a crate engine!

http://www.hughesengines.com//general/techArticleDetail.asp?articleID=1000062

Tell me about it.

Would be nice to see some mopar crates like that being built with chevy guy prices and production numbers, and with hemi orange paint to boot.

Just got off the phone with Hughes,they quoted me 16k for a 426 stroker,thats putting out roughly 120 more horsepower then my 10k 416 stroker...6k for 120 more h.p. i think i'll stick with my 416 and my engine builder...

Sorry SB guys, but for that price I'd rather shoehorn a 528 Hemi between the fenders.

No kidding,
These engine packages for the masses are just way out of the ballpark for your average working man, but it would be nice to have the "play dough" for eye candy like that.

I think prices on them went up. They also had a lot of quality control problems so most people end up ripping them apart and going through them.

528 Hemi Crate Motor
528 Hemi Crate Motor
All new engines with World Block

Bigger is truly better in high performance engines. Mopar Performance Parts has developed a King Kong size 528 Hemi Crate Motor which cranks out a whopping 610 horsepower and 650 ft.-lbs. of torque.

Features include:

Heavy duty cast iron block with cross-bolted mains

Aluminum heads

Stainless steel 2.25" intake and 1.94" exhaust valves

Heavy duty single valve springs

Premium material umbrella-type valve stem seals

A 292 - .524" / .543" lift hydraulic cam

Forged 10.25:1 compression ratio pistons - 4.500" bore

Aluminum duel plane M1 4 bbl intake manifold

Forged steel Crankshaft - 4.15" stroke

Precision double roller timing chain and sprockets

Spark plugs wires breathers included

Heavy duty engine stand and shipping crate included

The 610 horsepower Hemi comes with Mopar Performance Parts cast aluminum valve covers and a chrome front cover, as well as Mopar's precise high performance electronic distributor. The motor comes with a basic 6-quart rear sump oil pan (1970-71 E-Body style). Mopar Performance Parts recommends that for maximum performance, a 850/900 cfm Holley carburator and 2 1/4" headers be used.
$17,495.00
MOPP5007630AC

I think they are now being built by Ray Burton so hopefully the QC will improve.

ok, but for virtually the same price, give or take a grand, I'd still go with the Hemi. Just my opinion.

Just out of curiousity Adam - I've never owned a Hemi, so I don't know... You asked if I could build a 600hp Hemi for 16k. To me, that seems like plenty of money to do that. Am I completely wrong? I can't imagine it would take that much money to make 600hp.

Lets see 17.5k for a 528 crate hemi,which is probably going to have to come apart because who knows who machined and assembled it,those crate motors don't have the best following when it comes to quality,a friend has one now that he is spending like 2k on to correct the butched heads...now my 416 SMALL BLOCK stroker,which i have 10k into cranks out 520+ h.p...so for 7.5 k less i'll take the smallblock and will hang right with that 528 hemi in an a-body down the 1/4 any day..:-D:-D

I have never done a Hemi either but if you build one from scratch I bet it adds up real quick. The new World casting blocks are over $5000, heads are $2500ish I think and rocker stands are over $1000

Plus you will need headersabout $1000, a BB trans, motor mounts. Most people are starting with a small block so going with the stroker will save some cash.

Nothing looks cooler then a Hemi under the hood though.

Lets see 17.5k for a 528 crate hemi,which is probably going to have to come apart because who knows who machined and assembled it,

The old Hemis were built by Cummins, The new 472s and 528s are built by Ray Burton. I think he knows a thing or 2 about Hemis.

That is a Nasty NA Small Block for sure. =P~...and

I CAN build a 600hp Small Block for less than $10,000..8)..how long it lasts is going to be the kicker....good thing my Recipe Prescribed Long Blocks are cheap!

I also am a permanent rider of the, "I wish I had some Play Dough" Boat :happy10:.

You guys are missing the point! Blow away the other guy with your Hemi and pop the hood, no surprise! Really cool (especially in an A-body) but still. No surprise.

Imagine the look of shame and total defeat on his face when you show him your little Magnum smallblock (ok, it's got a Victor on it) that just kicked his tail. Then you pull up to the pump throw some 92 in it and tool on home!

$16,000 and that Magnum will drop in your car. $17,000+ for a Hemi, and you still have to shoehorn it in, get all the ancillary things that surround putting a Hemi in your A-body, THEN get everything surrounding that Hemi to play nice with it.

Dont get me wrong, Hemi's are killer, and I'd love to have one. But talk about walking lightly but carrying a big stick with that Magnum!!!

Oh I get your point, sleepers are awsome. I built this 500hp 340 Valiant last year.

IM000250.jpg

Oh I get your point, sleepers are awsome. I built this 500hp 340 Valiant last year.

IM000250.jpg

Well bring it out to the track,and lets see what its got...Ray Barton is building the crate hemi's for mopar,at $17.5k and ONLY 610 h.p. big deal..I'll still take a smallblock stroker any day!!!

I do have this motor for sale, need to sell this before I can finish the 442 SB. Waiting for Hughes to call back to confirm a couple prices, bet it will be @16k. I have more pics if anyone wants to see them.

Well bring it out to the track,and lets see what its got...Ray Barton is building the crate hemi's for mopar,at $17.5k and ONLY 610 h.p. big deal..I'll still take a smallblock stroker any day!!!

I sold it in Aug. The motor went 11.60 in a B body before it went in the Valiant though.

Small blocker stroker with big block power and torque with less weight then a stock small block. Sounds like the way to go to me.

-
Back