Hughes Magnum "Whiplash" cams...

-
Why not just call Tim at Bullet Cams

Just a guess, the grind is
HR273/340
HR280/340

Here's bullet's master list

You will probably need to either cut the valve seal boss down or run the Hughes retainers with this cam, and different springs than stock. I did a lot of research on this Magnum cam thing. I have heard that Stock magnum springs are supposed to be good for .500 lift, but I have also heard that they are close to coil bind at this lift and that they will begin to float at around 5500. I have a stock 360 Mag with nothing milled, stock head gaskets and a 512 lift cam which has only about 20-30 thousandths clearance between the bottom of the retainer and the top of the valve guide seal. This seems to be the case with stock magnum heads, most builders recommend no more than .525 if nothing is milled and you run the stock thickness head gaskets. If you run that 544 lift Whiplash cam with stock retainers you will be damn close for clearance if you have enough at all.

Hughes told me that their retainers are designed to add an additional .125 room for lift over stock retainers and that they had run these retainers on cams in excess of .600 lift. Last time I priced them they were about 65 bucks, and the springs were a little over 120. I have heard that the 3800 V6 GM Beehive springs are a direct replacement for the Magnum beehive springs and I have found them as cheap as 55 bucks a set. I haven't been able to verify that they will work out of the box. I looked at getting a Hughes cam but by the time I bought the cam, springs, and retainers I was looking at 500 bucks!!

For the money, Bullet is a pretty good deal. I called them and all that he offered at the time was a regrind of a stock camshaft and the best he could offer me was .480 lift and 280 duration, would have been 150 bucks by the time shipping was involved. If your'e on a budget this would work as you could keep the rest of your stock valvetrain. I corresponded with another FABO member who did the bullet cam regrind deal and he said that it ran well but he wished that he had bought more cam.

If I had to do it over again I would buy the Mopar Performance 380 horse crate 360 cam which has 501 lift and 292 degrees duration. It sounds great, pulls hard and I saw it on sale recently with new lifters for 300 bucks. The only drawbacks are that it has low vacuum at idle and might be a problem in a car with power brakes and it requires a good converter , a single plane intake, and deep gears for max performance.

Yea I here ya on the springs and retainers....yes, the Hughes Whipilash cam recommends their springs be used too. Which makes sense when you are talking that increase in lift. I'd actually probably swap on better heads at the same time to take adv. of cam more anyway, in which case new springs/retainers would be a given...

Never heard of Bullet...but seems like a good option. The crate cam would be as well. But if your swapping heads, I'd go with the Hughes cam myself. Just my opinion.

Good info though!

Ok, i'm running a reground cam from bullet, i sent in my stock cam, Tim id a nice job for a "buck-fifty", He stretched it as far at it would go for "best" overall power/torque, Its a .477,.477-.218,.218 @50 on a 112 LSA, this is with 1.6 rockers, Even though this cam is nice, my engine could use more, it holds 17 inches of vacuum.

Now i'm running RHS heads from hughes engines, they are stock with there 1110 springs, he told me I'm still limited to .500 lift (safe), maybe i can just change retainers & be good for .530 or so lift.

Now if your wanting a new roller, it'll be 350.00 from Tim (bullet cams) or the 365.00 for the wiplash, custom roller from hughes is 395.00 if i remember.

I just put that same roller cam in my 340. It's ground slightly different since it's not a Magnum. I'm still working on the geometry and clearances for the pushrods with the 1.6 rockers. I'm excited about running this cam.

Bullet grinds for Hughes like Rob said

-
Back