Hughes Stroker Kit

-

70dart

Reaction score
Has anyone used the 340 stroker kit from hughes engines or know of anyone who has? If so how was it, it is the option I am looking at right now but I was wondering why there seem to be such a price diference between them and some of the other 340 stroker kits out there as hughes price is substantially loweror did I miss something here? Is there a possible Canadian distributor for 340 stroker kits that anyone knows of, thanks everyone!!

70DART

I have a Hughes 340 stroker kit in my 69 Dart. Just got the car together this spring. I have absolutely no complaints about the kit. I had Hughes do the short block assembly and I did the rest. They also did my head work and balancing too. For the money, they are the best! Let me just say this, if you're looking to make a lot of power and torque, this is the way to go. My Dart was fast before when it was a .030 over motor, but that is nothing to the power it makes now! Lots of fun to drive!

I BE STROKIN':)

I do not have a Hughes stroker kit in my 360, but they did some machine work on the pistons and I bought parts from them. Very knowledgable, easy to get along with and fair with price. I will continue to do business with them in the future. They beat the hell out of dealing with Indy cylinder Head.

I had a set of magum heads done by them for a customer .They were nice but a little expensive. I also bought a stroker kit from muscle motors, they do very nice work i would deffently go back to them. I friend of mine bought a set eddies for muscle motors the porting was alot nicer then hughes. If you want power goto muscle motors it worth the coin.

416stroker
What do you mean by balancing. I have heard of this but am not quite sure what it involves. What combo of parts are you running and how much HP are you putting out.

Thanks for all of the input guys, as the shipping would be alot more cash then I want to spend I am just looking for a good quality kit with the right combo of parts and any work I need to hire out will probably be local for shipping cost reasons. :-k

I have been talking to HUGHES and planning to buy a short block 408 or maybe a 426. i have a 71 DEMON in sheet metal and body work now and plan on starting the assembly soon. i have had some success building my own from scratch and having balancing done by my local shop of 20 years. I went 6.33 1/8 with a 40 over 360 flat top with stock edy heads with a 139 60 ft time in a 3040 pound shelby dakota. i should mention i was topping it off with a 200 shot from an NX plate system. I decided i woud like to have a hughes engine this ime as they have always provided me good info and cam shafts in the past. they are the tip of the spear whenm it comes to MOPAR preformance tech. anyone have any reason why hughes isnt a good idea? maybe some MM fans out there with a better idea

Well if they are the tip of the spear in mopar tech, Dave and the guys sure didn't know about the lift loss from the rotten 59* SB angle last year. Kept telling a friend of mine the lift with a 1.5 rocker would be as stated on the card... nope. Was about .030 light at the retainer as expected. Don't know how many phone calls/PM's telling me they said it should be what was written and if I was sure. Hard to beat physics/geometry! :)

The kit they are selling is likely the Scat 1-98011 then balancing it.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=1-98011&dds=1
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=1-98011-bi&dds=1

Check flatlanders or some of the vendors here, Brian at IMM member ou812, and Mike at MRL Shipping cross border is a pain for most and expensive.

Don't buy a main girdle, waste of money, regardless of the sales pitch.

Find some one you are comfortable with and go from there.

Well if they are the tip of the spear in mopar tech, Dave and the guys sure didn't know about the lift loss from the rotten 59* SB angle last year.

This is most likely a miscommunication or something. I have spoken personally with Dave Hughes several times about very in depth engine theories/dynamics over the years--since about 1996. He was the one that warned me about the lift loss associated with 59* small blocks (Oh I wanna say at least 5 years ago-probably more) I think you should reconsider your statement above. Perhaps you weren't dealing with Dave?

Hughes engines has always done right by me. J.Rob

I bought a stroker kit from Hughes. No complaints. Very easy to deal with and although they don't claim to know everything about everything... Hughes represents Mopar well and is a good company.

This is most likely a miscommunication or something. I have spoken personally with Dave Hughes several times about very in depth engine theories/dynamics over the years--since about 1996. He was the one that warned me about the lift loss associated with 59* small blocks (Oh I wanna say at least 5 years ago-probably more) I think you should reconsider your statement above. Perhaps you weren't dealing with Dave?

Hughes engines has always done right by me. J.Rob
errrr herrr.no miscomunication they told me the same thing, i shipped thier cam bck!

when I was looking to build or buy a motor I spent a great deal of phone time talking to them and inn the end they were always more interested in either building me a short block and walking me through the balance of the build or selling me the parts to do it all myself instead of quoting me a complete build and standing behind it so I went to Brian at IMM - much more straight up , will sell you all the parts you want but he is an engine builder first and he will go through what you are wanting inn detail and build you the best package at a great price , Best decision I've made and in the end it cost less to build and ship than what the locals would charge to build here on Vancouver Island .

PS 525hp /527tq and its been to Moparfest in Ontario twice now with out any engine issues at all closing in on 20,000 km in just over a year ,not too shabby for a stroker

-
Back