Hunting. It isn't a place for the stupid.

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
Seriously. If you can't positively identify your target, don't pull the trigger. My dad beat this into my brain at 7 years old when I got my Daisy Red Rider.

http://news.yahoo.com/sheriff-hiker-mistakenly-shot-ore-bear-hunter-192316549.html

SUBLIMITY, Ore. (AP) — A California member of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves was shot and killed in Oregon after authorities say a hunter mistook him for a bear.

Christopher Ochoa, a 20-year-old from French Camp, Calif., and a friend were hiking through a field in Western Oregon on the way to Silver Creek Falls Park on Friday evening.

Ochoa was wearing dark-colored clothing when an Oregon man hunting for bear with his 12-year-old grandson saw something moving in the brush and fired one shot from a .270-caliber rifle, striking Ochoa, the Marion County Sheriff's Office said.

The sheriff's office said the hunter, Gene Collier, 67, hasn't been charged and said the shooting appeared to be accidental but turned the case over to the local district attorney's office.

Collier cooperated with detectives, according to a press release from the sheriff's office, and there was no indication that he was impaired by drugs or alcohol.

Ochoa's family in California told police he and Raymond Westrom, 53, of Lathrop, Calif., were in Salem, Ore., to do work on a house. Ochoa was set to report back for duty on Oct. 25.

Westrom directed Marion County sheriff's deputies through the woods to Ochoa, who was still alive when deputies arrived. The deputies administered first aid, but Ochoa died at the scene.

Bear season in Western Oregon runs from Aug. 1 until Dec. 31. Hunters are permitted to take one black bear per season, with restrictions on cubs less than one year old or sows with cubs.

That's just Bull Sh@t, they probably won't even charge old gramps. We used to get guys like this up north during hunting season. We called them "sound shooters" and they're dangerous as hell. Buddy of mine years ago had this happen to him, coming through to the edge of a tree line when he heard the whine of the bullet followed shortly by the boom.:angryfir: Turns out the hunter was about hundred yards away down this cut line so Jim (Jim has a knack for handling explosive situations) up and fires off not one but two from his 300 Mag. right over this idiots head. The sound shooter's probably still running or at the very least crapped his pants:D

I can see it now...

Hey honey, want to go hunting in Oregon?

What a load of crap.

That isn't a good way for the grandson to learn a valuable lesson but he wont forget it.

I don't know if they was on private property or not but on game management lands down here you suppose to wear hunter orange at all times. I know people who wear it on their own property even though they don't have to because someone might be hunting on their land.

Its a bad deal when a accident happens like this but I understand how it can happen. I went hunting one morning and was up in the tree. I heard deer coming in on me so I go through my regular routine .... get up, get ready, click the safety off. So I'm standing up by this point with my rifle ready to "take aim" when a guy coming slowly walking through the woods with a shot gun. The dumb *** didn't have any orange on at all and he was walking really slow so he could jump a deer. He didn't even see me and he got really close to me. I stayed silent and did not move a muscle. After he got out of sight I sat down and thought "What a idiot!" With him walking that slow he sounded just like a deer.

We get out of state dummies here who bring in a steer to the game station and think it's trophy elk...... enough said.

We get out of state dummies here who bring in a steer to the game station and think it's trophy elk...... enough said.

Oh man.......

My wife is from the East Coast. She didn't have a clue what an elk was when she came to Oregon.

She was like..... "They are like a deer but a little bigger, right?"

I took her to a game refuge so she could see one up close and personal. She crapped her pants.

Oh man.......

My wife is from the East Coast. She didn't have a clue what an elk was when she came to Oregon.

She was like..... "They are like a deer but a little bigger, right?"

I took her to a game refuge so she could see one up close and personal. She crapped her pants.

I had bought property in Southern Colorado not long after I moved west (18 years ago). I've seen some huge 12 point buck white tails and 400 pound black bear in Northern Wisconsin. So..... my bud and I are camping on the property and he warned me that a big Elk can face off a buffalo while we're drinking whiskey around the campfire...... Sure enough, we hear an elk bugle maybe 200 yards off..... In my infinite wisdom, I say "Hey, let's track that elk down, it'll be fun!".

Keep in mind this at about 8500' elevation and fall so it's pretty cold and seriously dark. I pull out my rechargeable spot light and we go hunting.......

After about an hour we call it quits and settle back down at the campfire when we hear...."SWEEEEEEEEEERRRNNNNNRRRSWWWEEEEEEEEEE".....Mr. bull elk was right behind us, lol! Bigges **** elk I ever seen and lit from the campfire from underneath, I mean ear pearcing, 120 decibel elk whistle. You never saw two people jump in a desiel ram truck so fast. :eek:ops:

After that and dealing with a "red bear", I have a tremendous amount of respect for animals WEST of the Mississippi. :prayer:

Edit: No kidding...just reiterating this tale, I took a shot of whiskey... that really freaked me out, lol. I can't wait to hunt one, knowing what I know now and BTW, the meat is awesome! I'm a firm believer in eating what I kill.... minus mice, squirrel and rats.

Edit: Yes Terry, I did get a Win 300 mag and am sighting it in.....

About 20 years ago, as I was going through a game check, a guy in front of us had a pack mule dressed out in his truck.

Oregons new law
New rules that require youth to wear hunter orange when hunting take effect Aug. 1, 2011.
As of that date, hunters age 17 and under are required to wear a hunter (fluorescent) orange exterior garment or hat when hunting game mammals or upland game birds (except turkey) with any firearm

While this Hiker was not required to wear hunter orange anybody in the woods during a hunting season (most of fall and winter) should be wearing it. This poor fella walking thru the woods wearing dark clothing with a dark back pack made a bad choice that cost him his life.

I agree that the hunter made the mistake of not knowing his target before he shot but some hunter orange would most likely have saved a life.

I question why the area around what seems to be a popular hiking trail was even open for hunting in the first place

Everyone occupying that cut line that morning was wearing blaze orange, it's been the law for a lot of years up here.

Everyone occupying that cut line that morning was wearing blaze orange, it's been the law for a lot of years up here.

can you show me where you found that law? I have an Oregon Hunting Regulation in front of me and can't seem to locate it

News reports said the hikers were wearing dark clothing and did not mention anything about them wearing hunter orange

Idiot. Some guys will try to drive others out of an area by shooting at them and then saying oops..had it happen to a frined of mine. He demanded an apology and the bastard told him he shouldnt be hunting there because the areas was claimed by him and his buddies.

This was on govt owned land..

Thats what happens when you put a firearm in the hands of a fool.

I used to hunt birds and big game. After the second time of almost getting shot, I called it quits. I tell people, out of 100 guys out there, 5 are hunters, 95 are idiots with guns. And yes I was wearing a hunter orange vest and toque during my close calls.

We had a US Army Captain killed last year on Fort Bragg property during hunting season. It was the last day of hunting season and there were signs posted not to run till after a certain date. But he was wearing bright colors and the guy still shot him and there were no charges there either.

We've had the stupid hunters sindrum in Wa state for a long time. I'm in Eastern Wa and we get alot of West side hunters ( Seattle area) ,no hunting or even woodsmen savy. No respect for fenced areas or live stock. If it moves shoot it. I don't hunt any more because there are too many screw balls out there, too many close calls. Every year there is someone from the West side lost or shot. Rule of thumb . If you put a scope on something you have the potentual to kill . Think about it.

Are you sure that this wasn't Dick Cheney hunting under one of his aliases with his grandson???

i dont hunt all my freinds do i get my meat at the store where its rasied lol

We've had the stupid hunters sindrum in Wa state for a long time. I'm in Eastern Wa and we get alot of West side hunters ( Seattle area) ,no hunting or even woodsmen savy. No respect for fenced areas or live stock. If it moves shoot it. I don't hunt any more because there are too many screw balls out there, too many close calls. Every year there is someone from the West side lost or shot. Rule of thumb . If you put a scope on something you have the potentual to kill . Think about it.

That hurt!!!! Lived on the west side for 47 years, and the only time I had problems was elk hunt out of ellensburg on the east side of washington, not only did the jerk almost shoot my wife and I but he also tagged my elk. That ended my hunting just too crowded.
Moe

I used to hunt birds and big game. After the second time of almost getting shot, I called it quits. I tell people, out of 100 guys out there, 5 are hunters, 95 are idiots with guns. And yes I was wearing a hunter orange vest and toque during my close calls.

One of the many reason I dislike hunting. Risky enough driving on the roads.

Yeah a hunting age limit would be nice, same with better alcohol enforcement and mandatory safety vests--expect then the game can better spot you also, lol

That hurt!!!! Lived on the west side for 47 years, and the only time I had problems was elk hunt out of ellensburg on the east side of washington, not only did the jerk almost shoot my wife and I but he also tagged my elk. That ended my hunting just too crowded.
Moe
If your not part of that bunch then don't take offence. I've seen to much of it , from Duck and Goose hunting to Deer and Elk. Elk is the worst. People get down right crazy and yes they will tag your Elk.

Some of those hunters don't go hunting for the weekend,they go drinking for the weekend . Saw a lot of that

Moe

-
Back