Hurdy-Gurdy Valve seats

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well ive gone ole school on these J heads. Doing the valve seats with my ole Craftsman crank ing valve grinder, and permatex valve grinding compound.
I must say this cleans the valve seat up quite fast, I was surprised.
Got new valves on order from Rock Auto, then I'm going to seat each new valve to its own posistion.This is a low budget 1975 360 build.
Keeping the 1.88, and 1.60 valve size.
All you hy-tech guys can laff.
Dave

20200515_193926.jpg

Got one of those myself, but under a different brand name. Still in the original box. I'll be the last to laugh, those are actually pretty good, the pic of the seats looks pretty good!

Last edited:
Navy aircraft mechanics still use Hurdy-Gurdy's...well, as of 1991 when my friend was in. USS Midway. IIRC it was mostly used to drill out rivets. I went the lazy route. I chucked the valve in a drill from the bottom and just lifted the valve up and down contacting the seat. Yes, it goes pretty fast.

Dont like the drumstick suction cup? All i have ever used.

I have used those, work great. I remember the old ones that had a flat blade on it and the valves had a slot like a flat head screw. My old Indian motorcycles have the slotted valves.

Thanks Guys.
Pishta....
I was an airframe mech in the Navy, for a long time. Used a hurdy gurdy alot,. Like you say specially for drilling out rivets. I have an ole Navy issue one in my tool box. Nice old American made unit, its nice and smooth.
Dave

I also have one from the past. My son does a ton of heads of all makes. Re-seating your old valves will work. But you said you ordered new valves. That may not work out so well. I have seen first hand what happens.

My son resurfaced a set of heads. They had new valves already installed. Same thing your doing. Steve checked the seal with a vacuum pump it was fine. They called up after installed and said it was popping out the carb at RPMs. An intake valve was leaking when running.

My son brought the heads back and pulled the valves. Two out of four the seats were not concentric with the stem. It was a Harley EVO . And they take a common valve.

The pattern on the seat was good . Because the guy was turning the valve in a circle, That is why that tool goes back and forth. If you spin the valve in a circle you will get a false reading on the seat in the head. Just a heads up. I have done what your doing more then once in the last 45 years . Have fun if you were closer he would seat those new valves .

Years ago a seat was 3 different angles, Three different stones and you had to keep dressing the stone, Every valve, Every angle. That is why and old three angle valve job was costly.
Today they have cutters for race motors that can do up to 7 angles at once. He mostly does 5 angle seats. When he showed me that I asked him Why he charges the same. His answer was the, In the end the cutter saved time and is more accurate but the cost was high for the tool and they don't last . He grinds some tooling but there are some that just get tossed.

DSCN1853.JPG

DSCN0926.JPG

DSCN0927.JPG

20191104_191806.jpg

I also have one from the past. My son does a ton of heads of all makes. Re-seating your old valves will work. But you said you ordered new valves. That may not work out so well. I have seen first hand what happens.

My son resurfaced a set of heads. They had new valves already installed. Same thing your doing. Steve checked the seal with a vacuum pump it was fine. They called up after installed and said it was popping out the carb at RPMs. An intake valve was leaking when running.

My son brought the heads back and pulled the valves. Two out of four the seats were not concentric with the stem. It was a Harley EVO . And they take a common valve.

The pattern on the seat was good . Because the guy was turning the valve in a circle, That is why that tool goes back and forth. If you spin the valve in a circle you will get a false reading on the seat in the head. Just a heads up. I have done what your doing more then once in the last 45 years . Have fun if you were closer he would seat those new valves .

Years ago a seat was 3 different angles, Three different stones and you had to keep dressing the stone, Every valve, Every angle. That is why and old three angle valve job was costly.
Today they have cutters for race motors that can do up to 7 angles at once. He mostly does 5 angle seats. When he showed me that I asked him Why he charges the same. His answer was the, In the end the cutter saved time and is more accurate but the cost was high for the tool and they don't last . He grinds some tooling but there are some that just get tossed.

View attachment 1715529064

View attachment 1715529065

View attachment 1715529066

View attachment 1715529075
True.. but not for 100% for the seats, you can spin in a circle and a chattered seat cannot hide. It will show the road stripes..lol...meanwhile the valve will show it's face is good and fool you going in a circle.

UpDate on the Hurdy-Gurdy Valve job.
Got a new grinder today. This one you can use in your elec drill. Just barely hold the gray center section, and you can control the circular motion, so as you are lapping, it is going back, and forth, and around at the same time. Just like the Hurdy-Gurdy.
Just wating for the new valves to arrive, then I'll give it a go.
Dave

20200517_153117.jpg

20200517_153140.jpg

-
Back