Hurricane Ian

-
The local government wanted to shut this island down for their own interests,

fans.jpg

Glad you guys are safe!!!!!!
The American spirit will now shine. The little guy will get it DONE> The gov ment can only do so much even if it wants to.
Side story. About 5 years ago (plus 1 month) I was in a North edge Houston hospitcal with hurricane Harvey humping 50 inches of water, waiting for power to come back on to get a triple bypass. Kingwood, a high end burb was 100 yards away and so was the flood waters. No TV, generator power, nurses that could not get home for over a week, big military chopper coming and going 24 hour a day, moving patient from flooded urban hospitals to ther. I was there (trapped) 20 days total.
But who saved the majority of those flooded residents? The red necks, despicables with their boats of all sizes and and flavors!!! Many were parked in the hospital parking lots as the water was a rocks throw away! It was a site when it finally appeared on TV when it came back on!! They called it an armata. (spelling?)

When you hear that from an insurance adjuster, you know you are about to get screwed... :BangHead:

WOW...Sounds like you have had an Adjuster in the past with "No Ethics"

You're trying to make someone guilty by association... if that's the case then I should just ignore all your "How-To Articles" simply because I have gotten bad advise from other people on here!!!

Get alot of different news stories from different people. But from what I've seen is the locals here take matters in their hands. The local government wanted to shut this island down for their own interests, But Governor DeSantis had different thoughts. Local construction companies took to building the road in Matlacha on their own and are getting **** done ! Local fishermen / boaters are taxing people and supplies to and from the Islands ,setting up food and water dispensererys free of charge. Looks like the national gaurd is here making the roads passable.

And the Governor says its OK to shoot looters !
More info depending on internet service
I wasn't even sure where St. James City was, but when I didn't see You chime in on another Ian related thread, I just looked it up. And here You are!!!!! So glad You made it through, even tho' You've got a lot of work to do, be safe in what You do..peace!!!!!!

WOW...Sounds like you have had an Adjuster in the past with "No Ethics"

You're trying to make someone guilty by association... if that's the case then I should just ignore all your "How-To Articles" simply because I have gotten bad advise from other people on here!!!

Don't take it personally... But yes, I have had bad experiences with insurance companies:

My brother has been an insurance adjuster for 20 years... And worked in body shops for 12 years before that... I don't hate adjusters...

He helped me with a claim against a 'substandard' insurance company that was incompetent... After the company sent a contracted adjuster to look at my car, my brother pointed out over half a dozen items that they missed from just looking at a picture... They sent another adjuster to look at it again and missed even more... Then after we questioned them about that one, they finally sent their own adjuster who finally declared the car a total loss...

I kept pushing the company to get the claim settled after a couple of weeks and asked if they were going to cover my rental car when they kept delaying past the one month of rental coverage in my policy and they kept saying that they will see... They kept dragging it on and on... It took them two months to come to the conclusion that my car was totaled and give me a check for the loss... Not to mention that they would only pay half of the standard local labor rate of a body shop in their claim... I decided to keep the car and they told me that the salvage value was $450 when my brother looked it up at $250... The insurance company said that they threw me a bone by not deducting the salvage value from my claim and then stiffed me on the extra month of rental car that cost me $850... This is after the adjuster admitted that they were not happy with the contracted adjusters, basically admitting that they were incompetent...

They thought that this made us 'even'... :wtf:

After that I went back to my regular company as the difference in the policy cost would have offset the cost of the extra month of rental car on that claim...

My brother worked for a top tier insurance company and settled his claims in 3 - 5 days max... He also could transfer the settlement $$$ to the customer's bank account within 5 minutes from his lap top, which is much faster and easier than having a check cut... I learned my lesson the hard way, not to go with a cut-rate insurance company...

Let's not mention the name of the insurance company involved, but let's just say that I will never go with Stonegate again... :icon_fU:

*******************************************************************************************************************

When I moved back to Chicago from Detroit 15 years ago, I gradually moved my stuff with many trips back and forth over many months...

I made a trip back to Detroit during Christmas break to find that thieves had broken into my house, ransacked it, stole my toolbox from the basement loaded with $10,000 worth of tools, removed all of the new copper pipe that cost me $13,500 to have done, cut the heat exchanger out of my brand new one year old two stage furnace, and stole my whole A/C unit from outside the house...

I contacted the Detroit police they were 'too busy' to come out and make out a report... However when I went back in spring, I called them again and they sent out an officer to make out the report...

When I submitted the theft report to my insurance company they questioned why it took so long to get a police report... I pointed out to them that I was dealing with the Detroit police department who didn't feel it was a priority when I first contacted them... They tried to accuse me of fraud and asked for way too much information, some of which was a list and balance of all of my bank accounts with account numbers and any investments etc... Way to much personal information that was not related to my claim and none of their business... I spoke to a few lawyers about that and they were not willing to pursue the case... I lost over $35,000 in that deal...

I was too busy to keep searching for other attorneys two states away as I was a single dad with full custody of my two kids which were in school... I dropped them off and picked them up for school every day (and they went to different schools), while also taking care of my disabled mother who was going through back surgery and then fighting cancer after that... I was the only one she told about her cancer as she did not want anyone else in the family to know until the end... The cancer went away after the first round of chemo and radiation, but returned six months later and we went through round two but she didn't survive through that... I had to take her to all of her doctor appointments, take her grocery shopping, and help her with any other needs and errands, and take care of my kids at the same time... I was running two households by myself that were 45 minutes apart...

*******************************************************************************************************************

I did not mean to offend you, but I am skeptical when dealing with insurance companies after those experiences...

Last edited:
Don't take it personally... But yes, I have had bad experiences with insurance companies:

My brother has been an insurance adjuster for 20 years... And worked in body shops for 12 years before that... I don't hate adjusters...

He helped me with a claim against a 'substandard' insurance company that was incompetent... After the company sent a contracted adjuster to look at my car, my brother pointed out over half a dozen items that they missed from just looking at a picture... They sent another adjuster to look at it again and missed even more... Then after we questioned them about that one, they finally sent their own adjuster who finally declared the car a total loss...

I kept pushing the company to get the claim settled after a couple of weeks and asked if they were going to cover my rental car when they kept delaying past the one month of rental coverage in my policy and they kept saying that they will see... They kept dragging it on and on... It took them two months to come to the conclusion that my car was totaled and give me a check for the loss... Not to mention that they would only pay half of the standard local labor rate of a body shop in their claim... I decided to keep the car and they told me that the salvage value was $450 when my brother looked it up at $250... The insurance company said that they threw me a bone by not deducting the salvage value from my claim and then stiffed me on the extra month of rental car that cost me $850... This is after the adjuster admitted that they were not happy with the contracted adjusters, basically admitting that they were incompetent...

After that I went back to my regular company as the difference in the policy cost would have offset my loss on that claim...

My brother worked for a top tier insurance company and settled his claims in 3 - 5 days max... He also could transfer the settlement $$$ to the customer's bank account within 5 minutes from his lap top, which is much faster and easier than having a check cut...

I learned my lesson the hard way, not to go with a cut-rate insurance company...

Let's not mention the name of the insurance company involved, but let's just say that I will never go with Stonegate again... :icon_fU:

When I moved back to Chicago from Detroit 15 years ago, I gradually moved my stuff with many trips back and forth over many months...

I made a trip back to Detroit during Christmas break to find that thieves had broken into my house, ransacked it, stole my toolbox from the basement loaded with $10,000 worth of tools, removed all of the new copper pipe that cost me $13,500 to have done, cut the heat exchanger out of my brand new one year old two stage furnace, and stole my whole A/C unit from outside the house...

I contacted the Detroit police they were 'too busy' to come out and make out a report... However when I went back in spring, I called them again and they sent out an officer to make out the report...

When I submitted the theft report to my insurance company they questioned why it took so long to get a police report... I pointed out to them that I was dealing with the Detroit police department who didn't feel it was a priority when I first contacted them... They tried to accuse me of fraud and asked for way too much information that was not related to the claim, some of which was a list and balance of all of my bank accounts with account numbers and any investments etc... Way to much information that was not related to my claim and none of their business... I lost over $35,000 in that deal... I spoke to a few lawyers about that and they were not willing to pursue the case...

I was too busy to keep searching for other attorneys two states away as I was a single dad with full custody of my two kids which were in school... I dropped them off and picked them up for school every day (and they went to different schools), while also taking care of my disabled mother who was going through back surgery and then fighting cancer after that...

I was the only one she told about her cancer as she did not want anyone else in the family to know until the end... The cancer went away after the first round of chemo and radiation, but returned six months later and we went through round two but she didn't survive through that... I had to take her to all of her doctor appointments, take her grocery shopping, and help her with any other needs and errands, and take care of my kids at the same time... I was running two households by myself that were 45 minutes apart...

I did not mean to offend you, but I am skeptical when dealing with insurance companies after those experiences...

Most IA’s (independent adjuster) are more of a turn and burn claim handler and don’t care about no one but themselves!!!

I owned my own body shop up until early 2000’s and got out of it because dealing people who didn’t want to pay or bitched about the price given and could get it done cheaper somewhere else!!

Most internal adjusters have never been in the field, much less handle claims for more than a few years. So most of the time they are believing what the adjuster is telling them and not questioning anything further.

I was taught to handle claims as if were you house or car… I’ve told Insurance companies before when they ask me to do something unethical… I tell them, I’m not lying for nobody… if I lose my license over something stupid… they could care less… they have deeper pockets and they will just pay the fines and move on and move on to another sucker adjuster.

At the end of the day, I also have to follow policy.

Most people don’t know what kind of policy they have until it’s too late. I blame the insurance agent for not explaining coverage as to what’s covered and what’s not.

Policies were written by lawyers, so what does that tell you! Loop holes after loop holes!! I’ve had lawyers tell me they can take the policy language and use to their advantage or to your disadvantage, all while using what is written in black and white.

Heaven forbid it happens again, but if it does and you get no satisfaction with a police report, make sure you notify your agent and that way it’s on record that you are having difficulties obtaining a report. Fraud is rampant and easy to do. I’ve had fire losses that I know were started by the homeowner, but at the end of the day, if I can’t prove it, I have to pay it!

Not offended, I just don’t like being lumped into the same a category as most of the adjusters who are out there and don’t know what they’re doing or just Blatantly don’t care!

I tell people all the time…

“You are NOT in good hands with them”

They will nickel and dime you to death over A claim… I’ve had discussions with them about that and they don’t care! So now I won’t work for them because of their ethics and mentality towards the insured and the handling of their claims!!!

On another note…

Sorry for the loss of your Mom!

Time to Celebrate, Pine Island Road is Finished!

Ready for residential traffic to Pine Island and St. James City.

PineIslandRoadFix.png

After that I went back to my regular company as the difference in the policy cost would have offset the cost of the extra month of rental car on that claim...

My brother worked for a top tier insurance company and settled his claims in 3 - 5 days max... He also could transfer the settlement $$$ to the customer's bank account within 5 minutes from his lap top, which is much faster and easier than having a check cut... I learned my lesson the hard way, not to go with a cut-rate insurance company...

When I submitted the theft report to my insurance company they questioned why it took so long to get a police report... I pointed out to them that I was dealing with the Detroit police department who didn't feel it was a priority when I first contacted them... They tried to accuse me of fraud and asked for way too much information, some of which was a list and balance of all of my bank accounts with account numbers and any investments etc... Way to much personal information that was not related to my claim and none of their business... I spoke to a few lawyers about that and they were not willing to pursue the case... I lost over $35,000 in that deal...

I was too busy to keep searching for other attorneys two states away as I was a single dad with full custody of my two kids which were in school... I dropped them off and picked them up for school every day (and they went to different schools), while also taking care of my disabled mother who was going through back surgery and then fighting cancer after that... I was the only one she told about her cancer as she did not want anyone else in the family to know until the end... The cancer went away after the first round of chemo and radiation, but returned six months later and we went through round two but she didn't survive through that... I had to take her to all of her doctor appointments, take her grocery shopping, and help her with any other needs and errands, and take care of my kids at the same time... I was running two households by myself that were 45 minutes apart...

Man, that's a Rough Ride, Brother.... sorry to hear about your Mom

Great to see they have officials that got the b all rolling and helping the people they represent, Still praying for a speedy recovery, Joe

Took a boat trip into the mainland to get our truck ,but ended up just bringing back donated supplies for the island. Took a few pics along the way.

20221006_145832.jpg

20221006_093551.jpg

20221006_102908(0).jpg

20221006_145204.jpg

Scored this bad boy at the docks. Loaner free of charge till I don't need it. Now when we get a spot cleaned out we can run a fridge an window unit and anything else that may still work.

20221006_165356.jpg

Have they given you any estimate yet when you may get power back? Great that you got the generator, but those things drink gas about as fast as a jet ski...lol.

Glad you made it through.
My dad lives in Daytona, said a cell tower came down in his back yard. Missed the house by about 10'.
No water on his street, but a couple streets over is flooded.
His power is back on, but no internet. He did say the cell company got the tower mostly picked up, but it'll be awhile before it's rebuilt.

Nice comeback. :lol:

Scored this bad boy at the docks. Loaner free of charge till I don't need it. Now when we get a spot cleaned out we can run a fridge an window unit and anything else that may still work.

View attachment 1715995002

That's exactly what we did after Irma.

Ours is a Coleman 6250 and it was pretty efficient.

However we found that if we ran it for an hour, the fridge kept the freezy packs frozen for almost 3 hours, so we started doing that 1 on, 2-3 off, unless we really needed that window unit AC on.

The window unit was in a central room and we also had a fan that we could put outside that door to blow cool air into other parts of the house if we were working somewhere else. Not nearly as good as being in the room, but better than nothing.

@JDMopar, We got power today @3pm thanks in part to Duke power. These guys along with many others busted their asses putting up almost every new pole up on this island and stringing up new lines everywhere this last week. Last night night through some thunderstorms till late into the night.

20221016_111203.jpg

19 days. Amazing work done by those guys!! Hopefully you'll be more comfortable now as you go about "remodeling" your house.

-
Back