Hurst quarter stick with bench seat

-

Vitamin c

Vitamin c
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone run a hurst quarter stick or any other after market shifter with a bench seat? My fear is it will be to much of a reach, and probably lose the adjustability of the seat. Maybe a custom bracket would raise the shifter and help, but i guess id like to know what im up against here.

Hey, Vitamin c. A million years ago I ran a '69 340 Swinger with a bench seat and a B&M auto shifter on the floor. I'm 6'3" and didn't have any problem with the seat all the way back. My 5'3" wife didn't drive the car so there were no worries about a shorter driver.
You can mount the shifter anywhere on the tunnel since it's cable operated. I suggest you pull the seat forward to where the shortest current driver would normally have it and then mount the shifter where the reach is comfortable for them. Even if the shifter is touching the seat, you'll still be able to move the seat back for taller drivers.
My current '69 Dart now under construction is going to have buckets so no worries.

Hey, Vitamin c. A million years ago I ran a '69 340 Swinger with a bench seat and a B&M auto shifter on the floor. I'm 6'3" and didn't have any problem with the seat all the way back. My 5'3" wife didn't drive the car so there were no worries about a shorter driver.
You can mount the shifter anywhere on the tunnel since it's cable operated. I suggest you pull the seat forward to where the shortest current driver would normally have it and then mount the shifter where the reach is comfortable for them. Even if the shifter is touching the seat, you'll still be able to move the seat back for taller drivers.
My current '69 Dart now under construction is going to have buckets so no worries.
Well maybe ill give it a shot, i'm 6' 1". I do have a gear head daughter that i wanted to teach how to drag race this coming season, and thats where ill need to do some measuring. Currently the car has column shift, but i dont know how its going to work out for strip duty, and there may be some rules regarding shifters and using the stock column. Buckets would solve the problem, but im not a fan of the plastic racing seats, and you know what its like finding decent buckets for these cars.

I'm going to bend a 1" OD tube and weld a mount plate to the top of it as a base for the 1/4stick. Lifting it up off the floor a bit. Make it easier to reach for lockout when strapped it.

Then again, I turn the 1/4stick into a rear cable exit.

Look for pictures of race cars; ebay, etc., with the shifters lifted off the floor for ideas.

I'm going to bend a 1" OD tube and weld a mount plate to the top of it as a base for the 1/4stick. Lifting it up off the floor a bit. Make it easier to reach for lockout when strapped it.

Then again, I turn the 1/4stick into a rear cable exit.

Look for pictures of race cars; ebay, etc., with the shifters lifted off the floor for ideas.
I have been looking for pics and such, but not alot of luck, so ill keep looking. Building a base off the floor i think will be a must. what does a rear vs. front cable exit do for you? Does that have to do with a forward or reverse valve body? In Jegs, they only offer the rear exit cable for a GM applications. Also i see a mount plate offered for the rear exit quarter stick. what do these different options do for you

we ran a quarter stick years ago in a bench seat duster and it wasn't bad.

also ran my turbo action shifter in my dart with a bench seat and it was ok.

-
Back