hydraulic roller lifter adjustment

-

mocar

Reaction score
Can use some help on how to set pre load on 340 with hydraulic roller cam and roller rockers,

Generally, hydraulic roller lifters require more preload than a flat tappet hydraulic lifter. Between 3/4 and one full turn is good.

are ya still sposed be spin them with your fingers? bout half a turn thay start gettin hard to spin?

I never have used that method. It's misleading. I get all the vertical slop out of the pushrod and call that zero. Then I make the adjustment.

Know the thread pitch of the adjuster and you can calculate how much preload you'll get out of "X" number of turns.

i run .080" with the stock hydraulic roller lifters....suggested by hughes. Works fine for me with 248° / .620" cam. I also try to get all the vertical play out of it, and then turn x rotations depending of the pitch of the adjuster.

Michael

To answer your question you should be able to spin them but they should resist ,If you can't spin them you probably have them too tight , it can be tricky to find the right starting point to add the preload to , be very aware the pushrod located properly , all the adjusters should have roughly the same amount of extension from the rocker as well .

To answer your question you should be able to spin them but they should resist ,If you can't spin them you probably have them too tight , it can be tricky to find the right starting point to add the preload to , be very aware the pushrod located properly , all the adjusters should have roughly the same amount of extension from the rocker as well .
PS if you have a oil priming tool it never hurts to pump up the lifters before you start .

I'll be a suck egg mule. I wanna know the manufacture part number and see what they want the preload at. I'd start there. If you don't know that information, just guess like everybody else is doing.

This is for all Hughes lifters. I don't see how it would be MUCH difference from other lifters.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/productInstructions/LifterPreloadFeb2016.pdf

1½ to 2 turns
.065”/.085” RV/Cruiser/4x4

2 turns
.080”/.085” Cast iron block & iron heads

2 1/8 turns
.090”/.095” Cast iron block & aluminum heads

Copied and from Hughes site.
I have iron block, aluminum heads, and roller lifters. Going with .093 preload that equals out to 1½ turns.
When I first started setting up my roller cam I went with ½ turn. I just didn't believe that it needed all that preload. I've never ran a roller cam with these unique looking lifters so I was hard headed on Hughes preload recommendations. Turns out with ½ turn the engine sounded like it was stock.... lol
Went with 1½ turns and the engine sounded "cammed", had better throttle response... engine just came to life.

I'll let Comp Cams say if for me.

Just scroll down to the third page from the top and see what Comp Cams says what preload you should use on three different part number lifters.

The Hughes description is an interesting way to set preload.
Yep, I like it and would follow those instructions if using Hughes hydraulic lifters. It is a variation of what I would use after knowing the specs for any hydraulic lifter I install.

-
Back