Hydroboost braking systems

-
I have installed many of these systems exclusively on Mopars. I am also a dealer for Hydratech brakes. While one may be able to scrounge the JY for parts, when it comes to liability, I don't know why anyone would take the chance if you are installing these professionally.

This is a great system, and I've had one on my Dart since 2006. Call me at my shop 631,423,1517 or PM me if you want details or want to make a purchase.

Thsi system is the only way to go and seldom if ever fail provided the correct fluid is used. Mine is off a 2001 Chevy Astro. I took everything - unit, master, lines and even
the PS pump. It's a Saginaw with dual return ports. Plumbing is very easy. Be mindful of the pump you use as you are supplying both the steering and the brakes at the same time and need higher pressure and volume. Also the master is 1 1/8 bore with a 1.4 inch stroke. There's a serious misconception about what happens if the engine quits. You still have stored pressurized fluid and can get up to 4 applications of the brakes. Some things to consider are if you have rack and pinion
steering or a gear box, pump pressure and volume, and position on the brake pedal
arm for actuation in relation to the master booster arm. For installation examples, follow these links:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=523502

http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/hydroboost.html

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/pspumps.shtml

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/P_S_Pump_for_HydroBoost_Brake_Applications-p-1716.html

Good Luck

So none of the Dodge pickups use hydroboost?
Andrew
Diesels starting in '97 or so. I bought all of the pieces to convert our '96 vacuum boosted CTD from Rock Auto: Booster, M/C, P/S pump, & all of the hoses.

So no hydroboost unless you have power steering. That sucks.How many guys have power steering in thier big block A's?

I guess one could design a system that just uses the ps pump for brakes.Adapting a pump in and plumbing some lines would be not so simple with a big block in an A. Theres only so much room.

Should prove O.K for me as Im tossing the inners.
For just running H-B with manual brakes I'd look into one of the Spring Car pumps (KRC, Sweet, etc.) with a remote reservoir. Should make the packaging a whole lot easier.

One thing about just T'ing the return lines, you can get a very weird pulsation in the brake pedal from doing this. Not common, but I've seen a few report this problem. I don't know if it is THE solution, but the H-B on my Early Bronco works great with a single return P/C pump that it T's such that one branch has the box return on it and the other branch has the H-B return on it, with the Leg going back to the pump.

Um, always interesting to see zombie threads resurrected. Responding to two-year-old posts is fascinating in my view because it demonstrates how differently time behaves on the Internet.

I suppose when your maneuvering in 4400 lbs. of metal it doesn't have to act like the
cars of old did. I notice a big move to installing rear sway bars on older cars, rear disk
brakes which are a total waste of cash except for looks, and upgraded everything. So
why not brake boosters and masters. You don't really need a power steering pump to
upgrade - you can go elecrohydralic where the pump is slung with a small motor to
operate it right under the master. Pricey but does the trick. "No steering/no brakes."
is an old wives tale, an urban legend and just plain not true. There's no pulsing, no
pulling to one side on the front and no loss of braking if done properly. I've priced the conversion and it is about $200 bucks and probably 4 hours or more work. And
as a matter of fact the Saffarri had a very primitive and self contained anti-lock system ( no ECM required) and I might consider that as well.

I disagree on the RDB's, they are not a "total waste of cash". They are not the first upgrade that should be done, but they are more effective than drums when sized properly. It's those last two words where most fail.

I've seen a couple of the early electrohydraulic boosters. No thanks. Later stuff may be better, haven't run across any of it yet.

I wish some of you guys would do a better job of listing specific parts and photos of how and what was installed. It would really help. On there other hand, we have photobucket........................

I have installed many of these systems exclusively on Mopars. I am also a dealer for Hydratech brakes. While one may be able to scrounge the JY for parts, when it comes to liability, I don't know why anyone would take the chance if you are installing these professionally.

This is a great system, and I've had one on my Dart since 2006. Call me at my shop 631,423,1517 or PM me if you want details or want to make a purchase.
Came across your feedback. Interested in adding this to my 74 A Body that I am strapped for room with the 5.7 Hemi swap I’m doing. Can’t share pics?

Not a gen 3 but at least you can see it.

093B4741-A6ED-42BF-8859-E1BCDA6B5FB0.jpeg

Matt has hydroboost on his 54 Chevy LS swapped truck with manual steering. It will chunk my fat butt through the windshield. I get it, but there's no way I would spend that amount on an A body. They stop just fine with manual brakes.......of pretty much any kind, really. I get it though. It's popular to be cool.

Matt has hydroboost on his 54 Chevy LS swapped truck with manual steering. It will chunk my fat butt through the windshield. I get it, but there's no way I would spend that amount on an A body. They stop just fine with manual brakes.......of pretty much any kind, really. I get it though. It's popular to be cool.

You are in the group that just thinks it's not necessary. You yourself have been behind the wheel of a car that has the setup and brakes and steering are always my priority.... My dad laughed at it just like you when I threw the money down for the setup. Ask him now and he says money well spent no questions asked. He can squeeze a dollar about as hard as anyone I know lol....

A friend of mine also put this on his Mustang after he went for a test drive in mine. His wife drives it and she wanted something with a better pedal and the Hydroboost did just that.

It also allows a B/RB to fit with no problem. You can run whatever Engine combination for the street you want. It doesn't care. As for buying it to be cool, well that's you opinion. If that's the hat I wear for the investment, that's fine with me....

JW

You are in the group that just thinks it's not necessary. You yourself have been behind the wheel of a car that has the setup and brakes and steering are always my priority.... My dad laughed at it just like you when I threw the money down for the setup. Ask him now and he says money well spent no questions asked. He can squeeze a dollar about as hard as anyone I know lol....

A friend of mine also put this on his Mustang after he went for a test drive in mine. His wife drives it and she wanted something with a better pedal and the Hydroboost did just that.

It also allows a B/RB to fit with no problem. You can run whatever Engine combination for the street you want. It doesn't care. As for buying it to be cool, well that's you opinion. If that's the hat I wear for the investment, that's fine with me....

JW

SLO, To your point, my interest in the Hydroboost is allow a degree of room in my 74 A Body for the Gen III Hemi to not rub. I am confident I can find another way for it fit. But with no negative recourse for doing the HB upgrade, and plenty of positives attached in favor of, well I guess you and I are BOTH foolish with our funds. But I will concede, if the sacrifice is ultimately being one of the cool kids, I suppose sometimes you just got’a do what ya got’a do....

There's a serious misconception about what happens if the engine quits. You still have stored pressurized fluid and can get up to 4 applications of the brakes.

No there is (might or might not be) NOT a misconception. The first hydroboost I rode in was in the 80's, a then new Chev wrecker, big block, auto. You put it in neutral, shut off the engine on a 'safe' road. and good luck, either steering OR braking

My cummins is the same way. You kick it into neutral, shut off the key, and you can stop it EMPTY, with little confidence or reserve

I will admit that a light car like an A body might be different.

What I'm saying here, is don't make this sound like the yellow brick road. I've considered these for my car, and decided not needed. My car is apart, but when running I had 4X disc brakes and the original master. Worked great, and my legs are not that strong, anymore.

Reading through this post here and is all interesting.

Have not heard anyone here just going with the 15/16" bore master cylinders vs the stock 1" or 1 1/16" master cylinder bores with the manual brake setups.

The 15/16" bore masters give more pedal stroke and require less foot pressure to operate, giving you more stopping pressure at the wheels and more control while braking.

Successfully did this on a 69 B body manual drum/drum car. Huge improvement and better control. Before with stock it took a lot of foot pressure with a very short stroke, so the brakes were pretty jerky . . kind of on or off.

Others have stated that the 15/16" bore masters give it closer to the power brake feel.

I was very happy with this improved control, and all for just the price of the replacement master and bleeding the brakes.

The B bodies are heavier cars, so imagine this will work even better on the lighter A bodies.

Good Luck on your projects . . .

SLO, To your point, my interest in the Hydroboost is allow a degree of room in my 74 A Body for the Gen III Hemi to not rub. I am confident I can find another way for it fit. But with no negative recourse for doing the HB upgrade, and plenty of positives attached in favor of, well I guess you and I are BOTH foolish with our funds. But I will concede, if the sacrifice is ultimately being one of the cool kids, I suppose sometimes you just got’a do what ya got’a do....

No, it's a good upgrade. Here is a pic of mine in mockup stages with a RB. Valvecover comes out no problem.... A cast MT Valvecover cleared fine also which is what's slated for the car (TBD lol...)

Image1902195370.jpg

No, it's a good upgrade. Here is a pic of mine in mockup stages with a RB. Valvecover comes out no problem.... A cast MT Valvecover cleared fine also which is what's slated for the car (TBD lol...)

View attachment 1715475756
Did you bolt your Hydro boost directly to the firewall? How did it work as far as bolt pattern, any modifications to make it match?

Did you bolt your Hydro boost directly to the firewall? How did it work as far as bolt pattern, any modifications to make it match?

Nope. LuLu in the corner pocket. Nothing in the way and literally bolted right in... Which is rare for anything like this as we know lol...

JW

-
Back