Hyper Pak Intake with 350cfm 2bbl To much for a 225 Street Slant Six?

-
If you're simply streeting it, perhaps seek out an offenhauser intake or something of the like, no need to spend the money on a hyper pak. If money is of no concern though, go for it. I'd say, perhaps a small 4bbl, like a 390cfm, so that way you run on the primaries most of the time, and when it's WOT you can still have fun. The 2bbl will always be pumping in 350cfm, where as a 4bbl will be doing a lot less when you don't need that much fuel being pumped in.

Why not get the new Aussie intake?
From what I have read it's probably a better street intake and is ~$450.00 brand new. It can also be had in a 2-bbl., 4-bbl., or supercharger version.

Why not get the new Aussie intake?
From what I have read it's probably a better street intake and is ~$450.00 brand new. It can also be had in a 2-bbl., 4-bbl., or supercharger version.

I concur. The equal length runners will make a huge difference. I still say though, if you're making it only a street car, then why not just get an offenhauser intake or something else that isn't $400? You can get those for $100-$200 easily.

If you're simply streeting it, perhaps seek out an offenhauser intake or something of the like, no need to spend the money on a hyper pak. If money is of no concern though, go for it. I'd say, perhaps a small 4bbl, like a 390cfm, so that way you run on the primaries most of the time, and when it's WOT you can still have fun. The 2bbl will always be pumping in 350cfm, where as a 4bbl will be doing a lot less when you don't need that much fuel being pumped in.

Basics:
A Carb is a simple, yet complex fuel metering device that uses the difference in pressure above and below the venturi (s) to pull fuel into the air stream through a series of metering orifices. It doesn't matter what type or brand the Carb is or even what size they all work basically the same way.
If you are using the common Carb Manufacturer's formula to determine the Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM) requirement for your engine:
  • CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM / 2 / 1728
    Where:
    CFM: Cubic Feet per Minute, of air flow.
    Cubic Inches: the Engine Size.
    RPM: The RPM that you want to know the flow at.
    Generally this will be the maximum RPM that you intend the engine to see.
    2: corrects for the 4 stroke nature of our engines.
    1728: a constant that turns Cubic Inches in to Cubic Feet
You must accept that the results are intended to select a Carb for a 100% Volumetrically Efficient engine. Volumetric Efficiency (VE) is the measure of the engines breathing efficiency. Race engines can reach VE's that exceed 100% while most street engines are between 65 an 80% with some well tuned street engines in the 90% VE range.
You can not directly compare the CFM rating between 2BBL's and 4BBL's as the test pressure that is used to measure the CFM is different between the two. The 4BBL is measured at a test pressure of 1.5 inches of Mercury (Hg) of pressure drop, while the 2BBL is rated at 3 inches HG. To convert the 2BBL into 4BBL use the following formula: 4BBL Flow = 2BBL Flow / 1.414.

So that 350 CFM 2BBL Carb actually flows 248 CFM on the 4BBL scale & a 390 CFM 4bbl flows 552 CFM on the 2bbl scale.

Here is a setup im thinking about, does it sound good to you?
INTAKE::
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/OFY-5270LK/

CARB::
http://www.holley.com/0-8007.asp

EXHUAST MANIFOLD::
Stock slant six manifold for now, possibly upgrade to headers later.

------------------------
Eventually i will be boring it out when i hottank and rebuild the engine. and upgrading camshafts and to electric ignition and possibly switching out the stock 3 speed to a 833 four speed (manual also)

How does that set up sound to you?

If you are serious about anything bigger than a stock super six set-up,you will need headers to realize its full potential. The single biggest improvement (besides the head upgrade) I did was a set of headers.Felt like a whole new engine,and gas mileage went way up.

If you are serious about anything bigger than a stock super six set-up,you will need headers to realize its full potential. The single biggest improvement (besides the head upgrade) I did was a set of headers.Felt like a whole new engine,and gas mileage went way up.

Yes i will be putting headers on eventually

as in...the 390 venturi and blades are smaller than the 2 barrel, so you'll get better milage with the 390 carb.

it's dispersment of the 390 cf,m through 4 smaller holes instead of 2 bigger holes.

I think the long ram hyper intake is too much for the 2 brl and will cack out above 3000 rpm....

as in...the 390 venturi and blades are smaller than the 2 barrel, so you'll get better milage with the 390 carb.

it's dispersment of the 390 cf,m through 4 smaller holes instead of 2 bigger holes.

I think the long ram hyper intake is too much for the 2 brl and will cack out above 3000 rpm....

------------------------
Eventually i will be boring it out when i hottank and rebuild the engine. and upgrading camshafts and to electric ignition and possibly switching out the stock 3 speed to a 833 four speed (manual also)

------------------------

that will work great and yes get headers 'cause that is the biggest cork on these things'.
On the 2 brl thing....I had a problem with mine using the clifford intake and I think it was that the pv opened but then closed again from pulling through a lil carb with the large runner clifford intake and big valves ported head/full length 6 to 1 header and 9.8 compression- high speed vac built up and it went LEAN...thats what the plugs showed.
I was distracted by a new 340 I was building at the time and never got to the 4 sho bottom of it.

I should have blocked the pv and ran 71 jets instead of 61's....if I only had a time machine...
the other thing is that the 350 2brl ran out at 5400/135'ish mph rpm loaded, pedal to the floor it would not go any faster in 3rd

just rambling now...

Your manifold & carb selection is perfect, but now that your motor inhales better, it's got to exhale better. You really should do the headers at the same time.

Your manifold & carb selection is perfect, but now that your motor inhales better, it's got to exhale better. You really should do the headers at the same time.

Thanks! Since you brought it up, i was wondering if you know any certain set of headers that would work with the 225 slant six and the intake manifold i will be using? Please not to pricey, im just looking for function and something that would help it sound cool 8) But nothing too cheap, i am willing to pay whatever is needed.

look duder...if u want to buy a header flange and sum bendd, then we can weld up sumthing header wise...

where abouts r u located?

I'm tired of mopar guys being out in left field, it's time to go fast brougham... and destroy chevy pieces of sht without even frukin noticing.....

MOPARS RULE!!!!!!

Well my dad gave me my 1960 valiant that is in **** condition for my birthday he said i could fix it up. Currently it is on cinderblocks and doesn't run the interior is destroyed from 30 years of rat infestation and the body is rotting and someone painted over the original bluue with white. I am hoping by that before i get my liscence i can have the thing somewhat running. Bottom line im 13 i love cars and motors and i try to work on them i love anything classic and my dad collects old cars and restores them with me. I also am trying to restore my first classic motorcycle a 1982 Honda xr100. And my dad told me when i get my valiant running he will teach me how to drive going up and down our dirtroad. Like you, i sold my drumset for 300 bucks to start saving for parts on my car. its currently sitting in a locked metal box sitting under my bed xD

The thing that really sucks is that both my brother and sister had their project cars, but they finished when the economy was in good shape so my dad was able to finance them. Lucky me being the youngest with the economy now in horrible state, my dad doesn't have money for me and my project so i do yard work constantly to try to fund my project. Hell, I guess Obama really loves me

Ok Right this second i don't need anything i am mostly putting all of my money into the engine and stuff, but in the future i might need some stuff off the dashboard/console as that part has been destroyed by rats. It is functional but in the future for when i am going for cosmetics i will give you a ring, thanks man!

I did a Carb selector on Holley.com and they also recommended the 570 CFM Four Barrel Carburetor street avenger, Is that to much? I really like this carb... o.O But i don't want it to be to much for my Slant six

Stock cam?
jmo, a lil big

though if you plan on a cam later you could get away with it by maybe running a stiff sec spring so it don't bog or 'fall out' on ya.

Stock cam?
jmo, a lil big

though if you plan on a cam later you could get away with it by maybe running a stiff sec spring so it don't bog or 'fall out' on ya.

I will be upgrading my cam. Do you have any suggestions? By the way for some background info. I have a 170 in the valiant but i am not using it, my dad has a 225 that has been sitting in the dirt for 30 years untouched. I will be hottanking it and boring it out and rebuilding it. I would like to upgrade my camshaft but i do not know much about camshafts. Do you know of a cam that i should use? or does a rebuild come with one.. I really want to make the 570 work :-D

-
Back