Hypothetical - Cheap 360 Magnum Rebuild

-
Read up on the differences between net and gross. Cause you ain't got it. lol

When searching about windage trays found a guy saying this: maybe an LA motor would have been a good option.

guys im new here but i have a wide array of knowledge on mopars /i have 10 years of racing experience and my dad has 30+ years of racing both of us in 440 big blocks one thing that baffles me now and i need some answers, now my fist rig a 1999 dodge ram 4x4 ex cab black sport 318 98k 3.55 gr mods were duel cat back, headers k/n intake, throttle body spacer not to much here but my problem was after holding her at 5200/hit rpm limiter were ever that is,just a few seconds trying to pass a slow tractor trailer the trans wouldnt shift from 2nd to 3rd i developed a huge lifter tick / dead cylinder was #7 driver side rear
now me and dad tore it down and after further investigation we found the LIFTER journal had cracked this rendered the whole block usless i was devastated and sold the truck! now my dad digs out a 1997 or 98 mopar muscle mag because he thought this occurance sounded familiar and it did!!!
they wrote that ALL magnum engines taken past 5200rpm can have this problem for the roller lifters are too heave causing bad valvetrain vibrations that can crack at the lifter journals! further more they wrote there is no way to solve this problem unless someone makes a lightweight roller lifter!

now i have seen a few in this forum mention going to 5500 rpms so now naturally i am stumped???

Ha I'll read. Can you give me an opinion on a windage tray?

I think unless you are sustaining engine speeds of 5K plus RPM for extended periods, they are a toss up. I am sure others will argue, but that's my opinion.

That said, they are cheap enough, so if you want one, it sure won't hurt the bank account too bad.

I think unless you are sustaining engine speeds of 5K plus RPM for extended periods, they are a toss up. I am sure others will argue, but that's my opinion.

That said, they are cheap enough, so if you want one, it sure won't hurt the bank account too bad.

I just bought an oil pan yeaterday. ****! Would it be incorporated in the pan? Also, bought a pickup tub. Both for mid sump. Never seen a windage tray option...

stock pans dont have them, performance pans have them built in or at least crank scrapers...you wont need either with 300 hp. While a windage tray may be inexpensive, the main bolt studs to install it are not, at least for a Mopar....
Your $$$ will be much better spent on optimizing your ignition and jetting your carb because there is more HP in those two than any windage tray on something below the 400 HP mark.

I just bought an oil pan yeaterday. ****! Would it be incorporated in the pan? Also, bought a pickup tub. Both for mid sump. Never seen a windage tray option...

No. The small block windage tray bolts to special main cap bolts. It is a separate piece from the pan.

When searching about windage trays found a guy saying this: maybe an LA motor would have been a good option.

guys im new here but i have a wide array of knowledge on mopars /i have 10 years of racing experience and my dad has 30+ years of racing both of us in 440 big blocks one thing that baffles me now and i need some answers, now my fist rig a 1999 dodge ram 4x4 ex cab black sport 318 98k 3.55 gr mods were duel cat back, headers k/n intake, throttle body spacer not to much here but my problem was after holding her at 5200/hit rpm limiter were ever that is,just a few seconds trying to pass a slow tractor trailer the trans wouldnt shift from 2nd to 3rd i developed a huge lifter tick / dead cylinder was #7 driver side rear
now me and dad tore it down and after further investigation we found the LIFTER journal had cracked this rendered the whole block usless i was devastated and sold the truck! now my dad digs out a 1997 or 98 mopar muscle mag because he thought this occurance sounded familiar and it did!!!
they wrote that ALL magnum engines taken past 5200rpm can have this problem for the roller lifters are too heave causing bad valvetrain vibrations that can crack at the lifter journals! further more they wrote there is no way to solve this problem unless someone makes a lightweight roller lifter!

now i have seen a few in this forum mention going to 5500 rpms so now naturally i am stumped???

I have been building magnums for 3x as long as your racer kid has played with his 440 and have only seen aa few magnum blocks with lifter bore issues and they were not cracked, they got destroyed by lifters getting stuck after bent push rod. I have also been revving magnums over 6K for 30 years and never had a problem, other than a few bent stock pushrods. Dont believe everything you hear on the net.

The windage tray hp advantages show up on the big end. (High RPM's.) So, is there a bennifit to having one installed even though you do visit the high end often?

IMO, yes. It does help keep the oil under control and away from the crank where it can get pounded by the crank. It helps extend oil life and break down since it is not getting an extra beating by the rotating assembly.

It is a minor thing. But every little thing helps. Mopar stated it frees up 15hp on the big end. It also helps with mileage, albeit a small amount as the oil isn't hindering crank rotation. Also as well as oil life extension is also a small amount. As I mention above.

As far as how well the money you spend is done and how well it is, doing you best in the ignition vs. money on the windage tray is a cheap enough expense that both should not be an issue to spend on.

If it is, and you had to choose between the two, I suggest a second job and get both.

-
Back