i am about to give up - i am thoroughly confused egading linkages

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
i was told over and over that a /6 to SB would be simple, and while that was sort of true, the reality is that a lot of things can get confusing between years of cars, trans styles, shifter styles, etc. i dont mind this its just that i dont have the understanding and now my car sits in the driveway rotting. i already pissed away this season of driving because i just had to do the swap.

i am really at a loss.

i am being told that i need either a shorter gear arm for the trans, or a different rod that connects the gear arm to the "bellcank", or a different bellcrank altogethe which i have no idea what that is, or a small block abody shifter linkage, or a 76 linkage specifically.

can someone please help me narrow down what it is i exactly need?

i am going from the 67 /6 with a 904 auto trans floor shift to a 76 318 with 727 auto trans. i cannot get the linkage from the /6 to work properly with the new trans. the 727 trans did not come with the console linkage, it came with the column linkage. the trans is good, the shifter is good, but the linkage is not working.

do i need all new linkage? just get a lokar shifter? a new bellcrank for a 76?

please any advice is needed and very much appreciated. i am new to all this and trying to stay focused and not fustated, but everyone says something different.

FIXED IT!!

i am an idiot
actually was a case of non communication. my bu ha never moved over the lower "Arm" - the one that attaches the rod to the trans with 2 bolts - that keeps the rod coming from the shifter itself in place. i thought he had but he hadnt and i just noticed.

now just need to fix a major steering box leak!!!

Call year one and ask for a cataolg for A body, and a B/E body one. I beleive there are pictures in there of the setup and parts available. Check on line , maybe they have a pic there.

Glad to hear you got it fixed. I will admit that working on our beloved money pits can be a real pain in the rear. That's when we need to step back and take a deep breath. Sometimes even walk away and concentrate on something else.

This is the first summer in 6 years that I could drive my Demon. The previous 5 years I had a stupid clutch problem that I could not fix. One summer I had the 4-speed transmission out 6 or 7 times and the problem kept coming back. So after all that and I have it working now, due to a rain filled summer and working too many hours, I've driven my Demon a total of 5 times this year.

Here's to next year. It can't get any worse!

Wylde1.

That lower support captures the drop rod from the floor shifter and keeps it from moving around so much. Before the failsafe spool type motor supports a broken left biquit type motor support combined with that shifter support would move the trans to neutral. Over rev and bad day could result.
" Bellcrank " is part of the kickdown linkage and probably just added to the confusion. Good luck

-
Back