I am Amazed!

-

Fishthatkills

Fish that kills
Reaction score
So I got around to separating the "free" 318 and 904 this weekend. Real easy I must say. I am amazed that only four small bolts attach the flex plate to the Ttorque converter and that all that power is then channeled to the rear wheels and then propels all this weight. It just does not look all that strong to me but it does work! I mean where the flex plate is bolted to the TQ I know it's welded but just does not look that strong?

I am looking forward to getting the engine on a stand and diving in to see what I have. Can't wait!

It's a marvel of engineering and physics!

John B.

It's all about how the power gets transmitted. It's very difficult to shear off the bolts (fine thread grade 8) in that setup and the wide head and tabs on the plate give a lot of surface area to grab.

I was in the same amazement on my first mopar engine build!! Make sure you install a new front pump seal in the tranny and use some RED Loctite when you put the (4) Flex Plate/Torque Convertor bolts in....its a pretty long way back in there (from fully assembled - ready to drive) for something dumb.

8)

Agreed. On a higher performance build especially, those little suckers like to work their way back out, and if they work their way too far, it ain't pretty.
Ask me how I know...ok don't.

One could upgrade to a different converter which may have the larger 1/2" bolts, still just 4. As far as tightening them up I tried the whole blue thread lock and perfect torque specs, 3months later ting ting ting, Is that a rod? nope its a few of those lil bolts, grabbed the red loctite forgot about torque specs and no problems since :-D

more amazing is that theres only fluid connecting the 2 converter halves to the transmission.

The whole automatic transmission is voodoo to me...but I cant wait to get into and learn it!!!

The whole automatic transmission is voodoo to me...but I cant wait to get into and learn it!!!

When I rebuilt my 727 a couple of years ago, I could not believe how easy it was.
And, I couldn't get over how few parts there actually are inside it.
Best of all, after I put it back together it worked perfectly and is still going strong.:cheers:
However, I still can't tell you how it works.:dontknow:
Be sure to get Carl Munroe's book on rebuilding the Torqueflite. It is the best book on the market, bar none.

You now own the second simplest automatic transmission on the planet.
(Powerglide is the simplest)

-
Back