I can't figure this out!!

-

T-Lezzz

Reaction score
I've got a 75' dart sport w/ slant 6 1 bbl.

i can't keep the battery charged or the car running.

parts i've replaced:

Battery
alternator
battery cables
voltage regulator
ballast resistor

what am i missing?! why can't i get my car to start and stay running?

Don't know. Gonna need a little more info. Like, does it start and die right away, die after a short period, how long till the battery is dead after a charge, does it hold a charge if not connected to the car, is the glove box light on all the time,trunk light? The dead battery, and the car not running may be two separate issues. Or not.

1---Very first thing is determine if the charging SYSTEM is actually charging. Stop thinking of throwing parts at it

2--Second thing is determine if there is a drain on the battery when the car is parked

A--Charging system---What does the ammeter do when the car is running? On a healthy system, immediately after starting, and with the car running on the "fast idle" you should show an obvious charge on the ammeter. Depending on how long you cranked the engine, the ammeter should gradually drop back to center.. Turning on lights, radio, heater blower, should result in the needle possibly fluctuating momentarily, and immediately going back to where it had been just before

If this does not happen, post back

B--Battery drain. Get yourself a 12V test lamp and a multimeter. If you don't have a meter, get one with at least a 10 AMP current scale. Some meters don't, and only measure up to say, 200--250 milliamps, about a quarter of an amp

Remove the battery ground, and put the 12V lamp in series from the battery post to ground. A battery drain will light the lamp to some degree, you may have to do this in reduce light to see the lamp glowing. Go around the car, look carefully, and make sure everything is off, the doors closed, the trunk and glove box lamp off, etc.

Post back here with results.

I was "going" to post the above, but realized you said you cannot keep it running. We definately need more details about the engine "not running."

Does it fire and die immediately?

Does it run for 10, 20 seconds? Does it seem to be loading up from too much fuel?

Need details

Don't know. Gonna need a little more info. Like, does it start and die right away, die after a short period, how long till the battery is dead after a charge, does it hold a charge if not connected to the car, is the glove box light on all the time,trunk light? The dead battery, and the car not running may be two separate issues. Or not.

So, like, 'xactly, man

1. Easy way to check if it has a drain in the system is to disconnect the battery & reconnect it - did the terminal throw an arc across it as you slowly moved the terminal onto the battery post?

2. Check your positive battery lead that it hasn't worn some of the insulation off itself & is earthing out on the car - this WILL do everything you have stated as well.

Cheers

Throwing new parts at a problem can be expensive. Get a multimeter and determine root cause (free at Harbor Freight w/ coupon). An in-line spark tester ($4) is very useful too. Look for a timing light at thrift stores.

starter relay, bulk head connections, or bad ground. Im thinking starter relay, but Im not there, so...

At first the car cranked right up ran for a few minutes then woul die

Then they car would only start after being jumped then it would die after a minute or 2

I took the alternator (the new one) back to advanced and they said it was bad..so they gave me a new one..I have it installed but I haven't tested it yet because it started raining and I do all of my work outside..

So when I get to test it I'll let ya'll know what happens

Thanks for all of the help!!

charge the battery before you put on the new alternator, also have the battery tested. a bad/weak battery can kill a new alternator

"warlockpain" it says you're from enville. i go to Freed and preach at the Roby church of Christ in enville!

Plans are to have in up there when i come back in January, not sure exactly when i'll be back in town, but some time in the middle of january

-
Back