I dont think the bushings were install right

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Take a look boys is this right looks like the pin is to far in.The pin is not seated into the k frame.Or am I off my rocker.

100_1777.jpg

100_1778.jpg

100_1779.jpg

100_1782.jpg

100_1783.jpg

The shaft is pressed in beyond where it should be. It will not allow the pivot needed for the lca.

I will take a pic if you need.

Really? It looks OK from here, but I defer to you more experienced gentlemen and ladies.

George

I could sure use a pic and the help should the colar on the shaft be flush with k frame.

the pin don't look like it is all the way tight yet.into the k member that is.everything else looks ok.

Snake & 6pk, good question and great pics. I am soon to tackle the same job...
C

Thoes pics are perfect are all LCA the same.Now I will have to get my money back for the bushings.Thing is I am not going to take them back to the same guy.Now how will the next guy get the right depth.You have no idea how depressed I am now.Thanks for the help.

You took them to an idiot. Everybody who might rebuild their front end needs to buy a cheap 12ton press ($120 or so at Harbor Freight). The guy pressed the bushing into the LCA first and then without supporting the inner sleeve of the bushing he pressed the pin in and too far. I can show tricks on the upper bushings because it is easy to hurt the upper control arm if you aren't careful pressing the bushings in and out.

It is, however, easy to spot a damaged upper arm. Sight one bushing through the other. It should line up pretty much dead center. Then turn it around and line it up again. Some day I'll see if I can get some pics of this. You can also get a LONG 1/2" bolt to check straightness.

Jim, I would love to see some pics or a vid of the correct procedure.

Snake, be consoled by the fact that you are not trying to assemble what you have. You would be really messed up having to take it all back apart.
C

Isn't the pivot tapered right here in order not to press it in any further?

The part of the pivot is smaller that is inside the bushing right?

LCA%20003.jpg

You took them to an idiot. Everybody who might rebuild their front end needs to buy a cheap 12ton press ($120 or so at Harbor Freight). The guy pressed the bushing into the LCA first and then without supporting the inner sleeve of the bushing he pressed the pin in and too far. I can show tricks on the upper bushings because it is easy to hurt the upper control arm if you aren't careful pressing the bushings in and out.

I see what you are saying now.

Ok boys this is were I am at.The idoit gave me back my money,There now at a machine shop were the guy says dont worry we can do the job right.Thanks to all that help,esp 6pac.

They all say they can do the job right. The pin should go into the bushing first, then the bushing into the LCA WITHOUT pressing on the pin.

Ok, upper bushings. You need a LONG 1/2" bolt with a nut and heavy washer the size (or slightly larger) of the OD of the bushing. Then you need a tube that is slightly larger ID than the lip on the bushing. Set it up in the press with the bolt THROUGH on bushing to press the other out and the tube for the bushing (placed under the UCA and against the plate on the press) to be pressed into. Turn it around and do the other bushing.

A slightly smaller tube can be used for pressing the bushings back in. Maybe next time I do a pair (some time in the next year) I will take some pictures.

-
Back