i finaly went for it

-

spstacman

Reaction score
i finally went a head and bought and modified a edelbrock sp-2p 318 to fit on my 1965 barracuda ...it is nicer than the factory 2bbl but didn't help the performance as much as i hoped but it asking a lot lot form a engine with 90lbs of compression

Photo-0119.jpg

looks great! sounds like u should upgrade to 360 heads that give u higher comp then ull be set!

360 heads will drop his compression into the 7-8's get some 302 swirl port heads, very nice on a 273. Also get an RV cam, as that intake will run out of gas at about 4500,

ya then all the effort to modified the post 65 intake would be in vain . and not sure the heads are the problem

dump 273 and put in 318 for performance..did that on mine as the 273 4bbl was only so good and not original motor, even though it is a formulas s originally..

sp2p's are economy mpg manifolds. Not much good for performance. the runner sizes are pretty small. Better off with a performer or something like a dual plane with larger runners on it.

sp2p's are economy mpg manifolds. Not much good for performance. the runner sizes are pretty small. Better off with a performer or something like a dual plane with larger runners on it.

Or even stock 4 barrel intake. Are the secondaries opening? Should be better than 2 barrel carb.

Do you have dual exhaust?

How is the timing? How is the valve adjustment?

Adding 500-600cfm carb, if the air can't exit will not add much performance,
it will let you get worse gas mileage I found this out in 1979. ;)

i do have dual exhaust timimg is at like 12 degree advanced and its got a 650 cfm carb

You got a a 650 Vacuum carb? thats kind of an oddity, but better than a DP for sure on that car. Test to see if the secondaries open: put a paper clip on the rod coming out of the dashpot that opens the secondaries. The rod will suck up into the dashpot when the secondaries are activated and will pull the rod through the paperclip. when it relaxes, the paperclip will tell you how far the secondaries opened up becasue itll be lower on the rod from where it started as it will have been pushed down by the dashpot housing. I got an Edelbrock 500 CFM, still shiny. That would be the carb to use. Those carbs work very well on stockish motors, gives it a great idle and throttle response. If your overcarbed, bogging, you can use a stronger spring in the dashpot, itll delay and restrict your secondarie opening.

-
Back