I found my Holley carb....think it was on the Titanic....scary pics....

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
650 Holley DP carb, bought it new 10 years ago, been working awesome for the last 9 years since installed on my 340 4-speed....left me getting home last fall Fred Flinstone style....figured "9 years of use with no tweaking is pretty good" so I got a rebuild trick kit and tore it apart...was shocked to find the amount of crust found inside......all parts appear to have a date code of 2005, but the bowls, and main body are toast!!! I have seen and rebuilt better carbs from junk yard cars where the carb was exposed to the elements for years!!! Always run good gas in this engine too, often mixed with race fuel and additive for winter storage (car sleeps during the winter in heated shop)

No rot on the metering blocks, base plate (except light rust on steel butterflies), jets, power valves, acc pump housings...etc.....anybody else ever see this? My friend who can rebuild these in his sleep says he thinks he can remember a batch that had bad metal? I have never seen this before, car ran awesome for the last 9 years...pics soon....

Attachments

• DSC01855.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC01856.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC01857.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC01893.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC01894.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC01910.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC01898.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC01904.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC01909.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC01907.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 336
More pics....

Attachments

• DSC01863.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC01857.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC01858.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC01902.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC01901.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC01870.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 293
This is not a "Holley carb bashing thread" I still like these and another 650 DP will be on this engine soon......just sucks to find this.....:banghead:

Attachments

• DSC01903.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC01912.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 280
There's a thread on here somewhere where somebody has one of the 'bad metal' carbs, called in the casting numbers and holley took care of it. May want to look into it

The coating on the main body is bubblin off. What a hoot.

The coating on the main body is bubblin off. What a hoot.

Sure is! check out this pic, barely bumped it with the wrench...coating is garbage....... look at how it flaked off, no older Holley ever did this.....

Attachments

• DSC01905.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 269
Is it flaking from bad metal, or is the gas eating away at the plating???

The worst parts are where the fuel sits inside, not as bad where it doesn't sit in the metering plates...

That looks like it's flakin off deeper than just the coating. Like the first layer of metal is flakin off. That's crazy.

That looks like it's flakin off deeper than just the coating. Like the first layer of metal is flakin off. That's crazy.

Yes, but I notice that it's much worse where the gas sits inside.

Not as bad on the metering blocks and main body that isn't in constant contact with gas.

Metering blocks look fine. but they are a different metal right? I'm sure they might have **** inside them....but all my years, I never seen a Holley this bad, even if it sat ouside with bad gas inside it.....

It sure is, you must have seen where the Acc pump gasket was...not gonna seal up there anymore...metal flakin away :happy1:

Metering blocks look fine. but they are a different metal right? I'm sure they might have **** inside them....but all my years, I never seen a Holley this bad, even if it sat ouside with bad gas inside it.....

I thought that all the parts were the same metal... Main body, metering blocks, bowls, etc...

Does Holley do their own castings or buy them from other companies? Are they all made by the same guy, or split between sources???

I have good news for you, I just went threw this with a used carb i bought. Couple months ago i Pulled the bowls and same problem. I called holley and after he confirmed the number on the carb being in the "bad" batch of carbs about 10 years ago, he told me to ship him my carb and he would send me a new one. So a couple weeks later a brand new holley in the box shows up at my door. Call holley and you will get a new carb

Call Holley on Monday and see about getting a replacement.

I've seen worse, but only with vacuum secondary carburetors where the secondaries were very rarely opened. In that case, the gas just sits in the rear bowl and ferments.

It sure is, you must have seen where the Acc pump gasket was...not gonna seal up there anymore...metal flakin away :happy1:

That's why I'm thinking that it also may be a reaction to the gas also. :fart: #-o

We all know that the "new" gas is terrible for fuel systems... :violent1:

How do we know that they are not increasing the amount of ethanol at the pumps and not telling us??? They change the formula here all the time. We are starting to get into the "summer blend" which = "more $$$$" on the premise that we don't get the fog like L.A...

So they like to jack up the price in the summer here for that.... :protest:

Thanks, I can't afford a new carb now, but have a carb a friend is gonna borrow me that runs fine, so fingers crossed :happy1:

Rear fuel bowl had more way more rot than the front but both are total junk......

They will replace it, did everyone miss my post? His date number on his carb falls in the same set of numbers mine fell into for "defective" bowls. Everyone that has ever turned them in has gotten a brand new carb.

Naw, I saw it. Evidently he didn't.

They will replace it, did everyone miss my post? His date number on his carb falls in the same set of numbers mine fell into for "defective" bowls. Everyone that has ever turned them in has gotten a brand new carb.

I did see that, that's why I posted that I hoped Holley would replace it for him...

What are those dates??? What time period did it last for???

-
Back