I found this pretty interesting: Car runs on compressed air.

-
That would get the groceries home and I think make a good boat engine also :coffee2:
Cool Frankie :glasses7:

That would get the groceries home and I think make a good boat engine also :coffee2:
Cool Frankie :glasses7:

I agree. something like that would make a good commuter car. 200 mile range plus only a few minutes to refill the air cylinders as compared to hours to recharge batteries.

I doubt, or would hate to think that something like that would ever replace our IC cars, but, there IS going to be a replacement, at least for "grocery getters" and daily commuter cars, and I'd like to have as many choices as possible available.

Compressed air, full electric, gas/electric, hydrogen cell, etc... Of all of these I like the compressed air idea the best. Also seems to be more understandable to most gear heads,and more "hotrodable" than the other technologies, albeit quieter.
besides, who doesn't already have an air compressor? lol

That is way cool! I can see the tree huggers being all over this while the oil companies will try to kill it. Interesting to see if this ever actually goes into production.

It's been around for quite some time and they have not put it into production so far.

I love my gasoline power rides/ my car just sat for 4 1/2 months in a unheated warehouse and got it out this week by just filling the carb bowls with fuel and a lttie more gas down the throat of the carb. Engine fired right up and after a min running was moving the car and ran 30 mins just fine at 70 mph. Got some fresh gasoline after the 30 min drive and its ready for another season.

I did nothing to the car all that time, just unhook the battery and left it in the car. Nothing is under high pressure waiting to blow up, carb fuel lines have 6 psi and that is only from the mechanical fuel pump to the carb, a few feet of fuel line. Even with FI there is 45 psi from the gas tank to the engine and it increases the risk of fire in a crash.

I like old school, works very well in so many ways.

I love my gasoline power rides/ my car just sat for 4 1/2 months in a unheated warehouse and got it out this week by just filling the carb bowls with fuel and a lttie more gas down the throat of the carb. Engine fired right up and after a min running was moving the car and ran 30 mins just fine at 70 mph. Got some fresh gasoline after the 30 min drive and its ready for another season.

I did nothing to the car all that time, just unhook the battery and left it in the car. Nothing is under high pressure waiting to blow up, carb fuel lines have 6 psi and that is only from the mechanical fuel pump to the carb, a few feet of fuel line. Even with FI there is 45 psi from the gas tank to the engine and it increases the risk of fire in a crash.

I like old school, works very well in so many ways.

I do, too, but it's time to face the facts, our government is working toward, and trending toward making it far too expensive for most working and retired people to afford to buy gas in the manor in which we are used to. Sure there will always be some diehards with deep pockets who will continue to rely on gasoline as a sole or primary source of fuel, but, the vast majority of us and more directly, our kids will be looking at alternative means. Smaller engines, hybrids, CNG, electrics, and so on. It's just an undeniable fact.

Many of us might go down swinging, but eventually the price of a gallon of gas in this country is going to reach $7.00 or $8.00
Driving a V8 or even a 6 cylinder gas burner will not be a feasible mode of daily transportation for most people. If you're not one of us in that light, I solute you, and cheer for you. Unfortunately it my opinion that most of us will relent willingly or unwillingly to the costs.

I have two V8 Darts, three V8 Trucks, two diesel trucks, and two 4 cylinder cars. presently I spend between $750.00-$900.00 a week on gas, alone. I will be fully retired in about a year, somehow I can't see myself being able to afford that type of fuel bill just for vehicles each week.
I will be selling off two of the gas v8 trucks, and 0ne of the diesels this years. I'm undecided as to selling off the Darts. Perhaps I'll sell the 72 and keep the 71. I plan to keep both 4 bangers as daily drivers as an economizing measure.

This thread is about "What's better": old school, or new tech. It's about the realities of where the automobile industry is going, and, more importantly, where the fuel industry is going.

There is also the looming, uncontrolled, and unyielding EPA, which presently has proposals and studies on our old school cars. Have you ever heard of the "20 year rule"? It doesn't do away with our old cars, but what it does do is increase the registration cost for them, AND/OR Limits the number of miles per years we will be able to drive them, AND/OR only allows use of them for the purpose of shows, parades and special events.
I doubt they can seriously expect to implement such a restriction, but, remember, the EPA, like the IRS, can, and does work outside of regular congressional legislation, and the costs of implementation are not even allowed to be a consideration to them.

It's very possible that our children might be the last generation to see V8 gas only engines offered as a means of motivation for personally owned vehicles. If that is, indeed, the case, the replacement technology MUST be in the development stages right now, to be ready when (not if) the federal government pulls the plug IC engine for cars, AND increases the cost of gas to a price that is unsettling for nearly everyone but the most well off.

Like you, I'm a dinosaur when it comes to V8 power, but at some point, (hopefully not in my life time) we will have to face the reality, that there is an expiration date to our hobby, and it will be forced on us.

With that in mind, this C/A technology looks to be the best thing coming down the pike, so far.

Sorry, but you guys have let yourselves slide into the "junk science" bowl of **** that has brought us the tons of imagination in Popular Science since the 20's--like how we were all going to fly to work in the morning, in our compact private aircraft, parked handily outside our suburbia paradise front door, paper in hand, fedora on top, pipe in teeth.

Didn't, won't, happen.

In the same way that gasoline engines are horridly inefficient, AIR COMPRESSORS are also horridly inefficient. There already exist tiny, unsafe, unstable outdoor rolling toilets of small engine powered cars which get "fantastic" mileage due to nothing more than light weight, underpowered, and by being terribly inconvenient.

Wow, such blatant false marketing. At the beginning, "free air". Compressed air is far from free. Then at the end, a generator running on compressed air which powers an electric compressor to make more compressed air... while it is consuming the compressed air it makes... and they come right out and say it... perpetual motion! Amazing.

I like the idea of energy recovery during braking (same deal with electric) but this ad suggests they are going about as far with their technology as perpetual motion will take them. Nowhere.

I do, too, but it's time to face the facts, our government is working toward, and trending toward making it far too expensive for most working and retired people to afford to buy gas in the manor in which we are used to. Sure there will always be some diehards with deep pockets who will continue to rely on gasoline as a sole or primary source of fuel, but, the vast majority of us and more directly, our kids will be looking at alternative means. Smaller engines, hybrids, CNG, electrics, and so on. It's just an undeniable fact.

Many of us might go down swinging, but eventually the price of a gallon of gas in this country is going to reach $7.00 or $8.00
Driving a V8 or even a 6 cylinder gas burner will not be a feasible mode of daily transportation for most people. If you're not one of us in that light, I solute you, and cheer for you. Unfortunately it my opinion that most of us will relent willingly or unwillingly to the costs.

I have two V8 Darts, three V8 Trucks, two diesel trucks, and two 4 cylinder cars. presently I spend between $750.00-$900.00 a week on gas, alone. I will be fully retired in about a year, somehow I can't see myself being able to afford that type of fuel bill just for vehicles each week.
I will be selling off two of the gas v8 trucks, and 0ne of the diesels this years. I'm undecided as to selling off the Darts. Perhaps I'll sell the 72 and keep the 71. I plan to keep both 4 bangers as daily drivers as an economizing measure.

This thread is about "What's better": old school, or new tech. It's about the realities of where the automobile industry is going, and, more importantly, where the fuel industry is going.

There is also the looming, uncontrolled, and unyielding EPA, which presently has proposals and studies on our old school cars. Have you ever heard of the "20 year rule"? It doesn't do away with our old cars, but what it does do is increase the registration cost for them, AND/OR Limits the number of miles per years we will be able to drive them, AND/OR only allows use of them for the purpose of shows, parades and special events.
I doubt they can seriously expect to implement such a restriction, but, remember, the EPA, like the IRS, can, and does work outside of regular congressional legislation, and the costs of implementation are not even allowed to be a consideration to them.

It's very possible that our children might be the last generation to see V8 gas only engines offered as a means of motivation for personally owned vehicles. If that is, indeed, the case, the replacement technology MUST be in the development stages right now, to be ready when (not if) the federal government pulls the plug IC engine for cars, AND increases the cost of gas to a price that is unsettling for nearly everyone but the most well off.

Like you, I'm a dinosaur when it comes to V8 power, but at some point, (hopefully not in my life time) we will have to face the reality, that there is an expiration date to our hobby, and it will be forced on us.

With that in mind, this C/A technology looks to be the best thing coming down the pike, so far.

Just remember there is another election coming up in 2014,,,,and another in 2016...pick and vote for your senator and congressmen wisely...find out what they really support and stand for.....just dont listen to the 6 o'clock news...

this is not pointed at the post above...it is just that once this administration is out of office..things can change and go the other way

Just remember there is another election coming up in 2014,,,,and another in 2016...pick and vote for your senator and congressmen wisely...find out what they really support and stand for.....just dont listen to the 6 o'clock news...

this is not pointed at the post above...it is just that once this administration is out of office..things can change and go the other way

Correct. But it takes the will of the people to make that change. If enough open minded people stay away from the polls during elections, the closed minded, big government types will win again.

There's a big difference between talking about change, and doing something about it. Change requires action, not by standers.

i used to work in the air, hydraulics, most people dint know how expensive compressed is. all this rig will do is shift the pollution to the electric power station.

materials capable of creating more energy than they themselves require to create it are real but nobody will ever bring a product to market in a capitalistic society which the whole globe is now so no go - the most promising I thought was the ENV bike , I went so far as to have my name on the list for a dealer territory before Suzuki bought the tech and voile no more ENV bike . They have even gone so far as to rework the prototypes to make videos of them being slow and lame where they actually were quick, nimble and good for 150 miles at 55mph on a litre tank of hydrogen

Do they make a super charger for it.

Yep... here ya go.

th

materials capable of creating more energy than they themselves require to create it are real

Unless you, God, and Einstein have recently changed the rules of the universe and physics, this is an utter impossibility.

Good point.

The video talks about the potential of an air compressor that can run on it's own product, and still produce air to operate the car. It didn't say that it was a reality, yet. That in itself is even more interesting, to me than the car.

It sort of reminds me of apples and carrots. These are two of the foods that actually consume more calories to digest than you ingest when eating them. There are others, too, like cauliflower and broccoli.
I sort of waiting until some can come up with a way of making an apple pie or a carrot cake with the same attributes! lol

i like it especially if they make it so it refills the tanks when in use. it would also
be cool if they made them sorta like volkswagens so you can put different bodies
on the frames.

Wow! Add a little gas to the air and fire it up, then this thing will really fly!

Do you remember the Vanishing Point funny car? It ran on hydrogen peroxide. Not the 2% to 5% stuff you can buy at the pharmacy, but the pure stuff.
Only like 5 moving parts in the, so called, "engine". A couple of tanks of hydrogen Peroxide, a valve connected to a pedal, a pure silver screen, and an expansion tank with a small orifice our back.

The car made absolutely no noise when staged. Hit the "gas" and the valve would spray a stream of hydrogen peroxide through the silver screen, and into the expansion tank, and out the back of the car. Since every action has an equal and opposite reaction, it would propel the car forward at extraordinary rates of speed.
It made a sound similar to opening up a compressed air line, only much much louder. lol

When pure hydrogen peroxide comes into contact with pure silver (the screen), the Hydrogen peroxide expands 5000 times, creating a flameless rocket.

btw, trap speed were above 400 mph. Best official speed was 386 mph, in the quarter.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlVVH8ecm5c"]Vanishing Point - YouTube[/ame]

X2, the media has its own-sometimes crazy ideas-inputs

-
Back