i found this very interesting

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I always wanted to learn more about rivets.......if your interested in rivets too then check out this video .......really good info

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyXEjn7f330"]Disney Cartoon - Four Methods Of Flush Riveting - Aircraft Manufacturing - YouTube[/ame]

this is some interesting stuff I never knew.....I never knew rivets are preferred in aviation aircraft building

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hB3rIECtxM"]Installing Aircraft Solid Rivets - YouTube[/ame]

They're lighter, won't back out, can be ground flush, and can be drilled out easily.

Have wondered about this too. Have seen some cool art and furniture made out of riveted together metal.

You wouldn't believe the amount of force a tiny rivet can take before it shears. A 6/32" rivet can take over 1000 lbs before it shears. And that's just the run of the mill aluminum material. There are much stronger ones that we use here at work.

what originally got me thinking about rivets is that i think i am going to restore a vintage tool box .....but in order to do it complete, i need to knock out the rivets and remove the handle and latches .....and re-rivet them back on after the new paint is sprayed.

i believe the tool box has universal rivets because there is no hole in the center like the pop rivets.

Attachments

• CIMG2604.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 288
Those are more likely the cheaper hollow rivets, similar that is used on brake lining

WHAT?!

...and ruin the patina?

let me look in my purse ....oh yea that's where I left that extra 10K in sequential hundred dollar bills.......NOT

LOL.....that is a sweet car...actually a dream car!!.....but I don't even have 10 dollars right now so its back to fantasizing about a 68 fastback and doing nothing about it LOL.

that is so close in location.....I really think that I have seen that car in person too.

WHAT?!

...and ruin the patina?

why not ...patina is over rated.

I want shiny and pretty ....suitable for a princess .....well until it gets used a few times at least. :blackeye:

I was wondering how close that car was to you.

It's almost exactly what I'm looking for, although a bit over my budget.

If it were closer, I'd have to go look and make an offer.

Let me/us know if you go.

I was wondering how close that car was to you.

It's almost exactly what I'm looking for, although a bit over my budget.

If it were closer, I'd have to go look and make an offer.

Let me/us know if you go.

its about an hour ...maybe hour and a half away ...but when you live in the sticks everything is about that far anyway

I live in the "branches", and "everything" is about 30-45 min away!

rivets are actually a lot harder to find than I thought ....I asked about rivets at a hardware store and the guy said "whats that" so I take it they don't have them.

I wanted to get a few and see if I can get them to work with a air hammer and dolly.

rivets are actually a lot harder to find than I thought ....I asked about rivets at a hardware store and the guy said "whats that" so I take it they don't have them.

I wanted to get a few and see if I can get them to work with a air hammer and dolly.

They are hard to find in small quantities. But you can get them by the pound here: www.aircraftspruce.com

An air hammer and dolly will "buck" 1/8 inch diameter rivets but, struggles to do anything larger.

If you have a small airport nearby, that has a maintenance facility, you could probably get a mechanic to give you a few rivets, demonstrate the process, and slip him a little $$.

Rani i do this for a living as an aircraft sheetmetal structures mechanic. I have been doing this for 18 years. I would NOT use an airhammer to try to rivet stuff together. It will tear up whatever you are trying to rivet. Air hammers make too many hits per second compared to an actual rivet gun.

Check out these places.

Www.yardstore.com
Www.browntool.com
Boeing surplus
Aircraft spruce and specialty

the first 3 sell tools, rivet guns, sets, bucking bars, clecos, angle drills nutplate jigs, rivet squeezers , countersink microstops, and many more items you may never have seen before. The last one sells aviation hardware including rivets. Aluminum rivets are cheap as long as you dont need a material certification for aircraft use with them. They are sold by the pound.

Aircraft nominal sized holes (standard size) are drilled not as fractional until you reach 1/4"

It goes like this
#40 drill #3 rivet
#30 drill #4 rivet
#21 drill #5 rivet
#10 drill #6 rivet
1/4" drill #8 rivet

If the holes get damaged when removing the old rivets it is possible to use an oversized rivet. This is if the hole cleans up for the rivet shank that is oversized between 2 nominal sizes. If that is not possible, the hole is enlarged to the next nominal size. That is unless it cannot meet its E.D. (edge distance)

Most aircraft require a minimum of 2 D edge distance which is the distance from the rivet to the edge of the frame or metal sheet you are riveting be legal. this E.D. Is 2 times the shank diameter. Typical rivet spacing from fastener to fastener is 4 to 6 D. Minimum spacing but typically no more than 10 D. Spacing.

I have a wealth of information on this subject including rivet material types, head styles, different types of countersink flush fasteners including the Boeing type design counterbore countersink type rivet.

Hope this helps
Matt

rivets hold allot of airplanes together, we have a modified version of them as fasteners on our icbm/slbm entry points (maintenance inside them-door entries)

Trucking industry too. Look at the cabs of heavy trucks like freight liners, peterbilts, kenworths, western stars, etc as well as their box trailers.

The newer trucks are now getting away from riveted cabs and using lots of hi strength adhesives to hold the cabs together.

-
Back