I garage working, engine smoking help!!

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
Smoke emitting from the rear of the engine, only seems to be on the passenger side. Also I found a threaded hole in that same area with no bolt... coincidence? pics coming in 2 mins...

Forgot to mention... It smokes almost immediately upon startup, after running for about 30 seconds -if that. I'm starting to get discouraged as I wanted to have this for my daily driver by mid-march... fix one thing and 2 more break... :sad7:

if no water is coming out of it...it is probably for the block/transmission braces..

Hard to tell from the pic. If it's not where the transmission brace goes, plug it. It may take an NPT thread plug. If it stops smoking, then that was your problem, if not, keep looking. The rear of the intake manifold is a fairly common place for leaks.
Before going through all that trouble, do you have a breather cap towards the rear of your passenger side valve cover? If so, smoke will sometimes come from there, starting as soon as you start it.

Oil from a valve cover gasket leak, drips down on exhaust manifold and will smoke almost immediately when engine starts.

If you don't believe me, start the engine and put your hand on the exhaust manifold.

As dirty as the engine is I suspect an intake or valve cover oil leak. I'd take it to a car wash & try to get the engine cleaned up a bit. If it's an oil leak it'll be easier to find then.

valve cover gaskets were just replaced maybe 2 weeks ago(ish) because that's what I thought it was... So majority says intake gasket? Once I get the rear I need and the wheels back on I can take the car outside of the garage and toy with it. i'm afraid that the fumes will piss off or harm someone in the apt complex(like the people who live above me and my garage).

Ok, so involved in taking the intake off is just hoses, distributor and bolts?

-
Back