roughidle

Super Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of me getting high:

2013-01-14_20-49-41_884.jpg

2013-01-14_20-51-48_313.jpg

2013-01-14_20-52-46_225.jpg

2013-01-14_20-48-58_297.jpg

Front bumper bolts are 40" off the ground. Now I can deal with my cramped space a little easier. Overkill....? Yes. Safe....? Yes. Loads of time saved...? Absolutely Priceless!

The rear got the same treatment....

Here are a couple pics of me getting high:

2013-01-14_20-49-41_884.jpg

2013-01-14_20-51-48_313.jpg

2013-01-14_20-52-46_225.jpg

2013-01-14_20-48-58_297.jpg

Front bumper bolts are 40" off the ground. Now I can deal with my cramped space a little easier. Overkill....? Yes. Safe....? Yes. Loads of time saved...? Absolutely Priceless!

The rear got the same treatment....
Cool! Now just to make you think for a second. The ford GT40 is, from the ground to the top of the car, is 40 inches (now you know where the 40 in GT 40 comes from) just something to think about.

Dang I thought you found some laced brownies....

dude how thick is the stand your cars on Im going to have to make me one that would help alot !

Asa,

I built it out of 3x3x1/4 box tubing and 3x3x1/4 angle. The channel is standard 3 x 4.1#. It's beyond overkill, but I wanted safer than sorry...

I guess you did something similar at the rear. To jack the car up that high did you used some blocks on floor jacks?
Gets a little squirrelly if that’s what you did doesn’t it?
I have raised a B body up about 32 inches and put it on 12-ton jack stands.
If you are planning on taking framing members or sheet metal out, shore up the mid section just in case so things don’t shift.
You probably thought of that.

A job well dun, know I see a need for a mini bar and bar stool, Yes very nice!
Congratulations on getting higher and at a birds eye view

This should make things much easier to work on.... built in cupholders for sure!

As far as blocking it up all I did was take a 4x4 and cut it to sit across the front spring perch area and lifted the tail end up. The front end I just had to throw a chunk of 4x4 under the K frame and that got it up high enough. I just have such a small shop and such large plans for this car I needed an easy way to move the thing around from one side to another so I could access both sides of the shop. Now I can get the front end out from underneath it and install my spool mt K once I get a pair of BBJ upper arms. Once I start cutting to install the rockers and quarters (prepping for the mini tub I plan on re-installing the 4x4 and jack stands under the front spring perches to support the center of the car. If I get lucky the doors will close when I'm all said and done!

Hey Rough I can see how useful this would be in my project. with bigger wheels I could move my Charger around outside. Thanks for making this thread.

I'd load one on without hesitating. You just need to make sure you dont skimp on the casters. They will be the weakest link in the stands.

I'd load one on without hesitating. You just need to make sure you dont skimp on the casters. They will be the weakest link in the stands.

Being that I have a outdoor garage so the wheels would have to be big enough to push it around the yard

I see one thing wrong with that set up.

It isn't at my place!![-o<

Yessir!, Unfortunately for as heavy as I built the basterds it would probably run about $300 just for shipping costs to get a pair to you....:wack:

Anyways, happy building!:burnout:

Being that I have a outdoor garage so the wheels would have to be big enough to push it around the yard

Your definately going to want to use pneumatic wheels and tires then....This type of caster wouldn't even think about turning on soft or uneven ground...

Your definately going to want to use pneumatic wheels and tires then....This type of caster wouldn't even think about turning on soft or uneven ground...

I was thinking about these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-solid-rubber-tire-42427.html

Description
haul-master_tires.gif
Great for dollies, carts and other applications, this rubber tire is constructed of puncture-proof solid rubber! Features include a durable steel hub and ball bearings to withstand rigorous use. The grooved pattern tread allows a smooth, solid grip along the warehouse or workshop floor while hauling heavy loads.

• Durable steel hub
  • Puncture-proof solid rubber tire
  • Grooved pattern tread
  • Ball bearings
Wheel Diameter: 8" Width: 2-1/2" Axle bore: 5/8" Capacity: 300 lbs. Shipping Weight: 6.00 lbs.
image_17036.jpg

I was thinking about these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-solid-rubber-tire-42427.html

Description
haul-master_tires.gif
Great for dollies, carts and other applications, this rubber tire is constructed of puncture-proof solid rubber! Features include a durable steel hub and ball bearings to withstand rigorous use. The grooved pattern tread allows a smooth, solid grip along the warehouse or workshop floor while hauling heavy loads.

• Durable steel hub
  • Puncture-proof solid rubber tire
  • Grooved pattern tread
  • Ball bearings
Wheel Diameter: 8" Width: 2-1/2" Axle bore: 5/8" Capacity: 300 lbs. Shipping Weight: 6.00 lbs.

Unless you are only planning to go in a straight line only you will be in trouble.

-
Back