I got a stupid question

-

MarzGraphixDesign

Reaction score
Is there any way to tell the difference between a 318,340 and,360 just by looking at them. If yes what do I look for and if no what do I do to find out. Thanks

Look on the front of the block right under the driver side head. You should see some numbers "stamped" not cast right there.

It will be a series of numbers, but you should see 318 - 340 - 360 somewhere in that series of numbers.

A lot easier to get to.

Look on the front of the block right under the driver side head. You should see some numbers "stamped" not cast right there.

It will be a series of numbers, but you should see 318 - 340 - 360 somewhere in that series of numbers.

A lot easier to get to.

This is the quickest and easiest for me "most of the time" but I have a "Mopar manufactured" engine on which that number was destroyed. "X'd out"

Another way is to acquaint yourself with the pan differences on LA engines.......everything except 360 has the LARGE "moon" at rear of the pan, nearly as big as the front. A 360 has a much smaller rear pan "moon"

And......look at the balancer. 360s' have a huge "off balance" around the balancer, others don't.

Other than that...........as above.........look on the side of the block for casting nu's. These are sometimes difficult. My recollection is that a 340 is hidden by the manifold / starter / head pipe "pretty well."

Here's a good thread

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=285021

Here's the stamping BS and I are referring to, and that's no "bs"

attachment.php

An example number from above

Casting2.jpg

Pan rail after 68, pass side

Casting4.jpg

Casting no. drivers side

IMG_3421copy.jpg

Some of the older x blocks say 318 even though they are 340 race blocks.
Both places advised work although the numbers below he'd can be very tough to read .

And......look at the balancer. 360s' have a huge "off balance" around the balancer, others don't.
Others like a '72/3 340 do.

Other than that...........as above.........look on the side of the block for casting nu's. These are sometimes difficult. My recollection is that a 340 is hidden by the manifold / starter / head pipe "pretty well."
They can be difficult, usually possible though.

Thank You everyone. I appreciate all the info this will help. I totally forgot about the oil pan with the 360 being different.:banghead: I'm going to look at a motor and the guy has no idea what he has. Thanks again

Others like a '72/3 340 do.

They can be difficult, usually possible though.

(Balancer). While a cast crank external balance 340 does not use a neutral balancer, they look nothing like a 360. But you are right that might be a difficult point for someone not used to them.

-
Back