I got burned and I bought a van...

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
16235494217472827053091260207867.jpg

Flipin jeeps. You cant get the dirt out of em..... trust me i tried. It aint possible.

And then I bought a van.
Its like a 1998 chevy 3/4 tonne. 200,000 miles. Fleet maintained its entire life. It is in good shape but i didnt care what shape it was in. It cost 400 bucks.... so decent condition was a pleasant bonus!

It will become my surf/X-country camping machine. It will be getting the full treatment. Im already on the look out for a T case and solid front axle.

Big coils, milatary surplus 37s, solid axles, body armor, bent tube, black paint, red stripe, wing? (At least that's the plan, hopefully it all comes together. :) some one should pick that up)...... i wish it was a diesel but for the price i had to pick it up.

image000003001.jpg

image000004.jpg

image000005.jpg

I told my pops. "This is such a terrible fu#king idea, it might just work.

:)
:rofl::steering::steering::usflag:

View attachment 1715751016

Flipin jeeps. You cant get the dirt out of em..... trust me i tried. It aint possible.

And then I bought a van.
Its like a 1998 chevy 3/4 tonne. 200,000 miles. Fleet maintained its entire life. It is in good shape but i didnt care what shape it was in. It cost 400 bucks.... so decent condition was a pleasant bonus!

It will become my surf/X-country camping machine. It will be getting the full treatment. Im already on the look out for a T case and solid front axle.

Big coils, milatary surplus 37s, solid axles, body armor, bent tube, black paint, red stripe, wing? (At least that's the plan, hopefully it all comes together. :) some one should pick that up)...... i wish it was a diesel but for the price i had to pick it up.

View attachment 1715751017

View attachment 1715751018

View attachment 1715751019

I'm confident anything you touch will turn to gold....

I'm confident anything you touch will turn to gold....

Well look at you. You make chicken salad outta chicken ****. Better than I ever could.

Boy that's a long wb sonofabitch!!! I once had a 70's Dodge longie, was a "church buss" I built the whole deal, shelves, ladder rack, and a vise mount for either conventional or pipe vise. It was a slant. Gas pedal had two positions, idle, or "on the floor" LOL

img049cs.jpg

img028cs.jpg

Most 12 valves i see are 10 grand with 500,000 miles on em around here. So.... its not in the budget but thats something that is an option (at the right price.)

My plan is sweat equity with this build. Before we built cars we built custom wood furniture so we plan to get stupid on the inside. Its a shame the price of wood now because that will screw us a bit but with good prep and some stain we can make even garbage wood look nice.

A big part of the plan is Tubs on all four corners. I want big tires but not a stupid high lift kit. So that will require cutting the body until they fit and closing up what's left.
It will be a fun build and vans are HOT right now so no matter what it should be a money maker or just fun for us to play with

And thanks @j par im glad one of us has faith.

And now Rusty when people make fun of me on the internet I can drive to their house....

Just kidding bud, I hope you and yours are doing well.

Last edited:
View attachment 1715751016

And then I bought a van.

View attachment 1715751017

View attachment 1715751018

View attachment 1715751019

Hate to break it to you Cope, but that ain’t a Chevy it’s a Ford.

I wondered who would ketch that. :)

I dont think its a 98 either.... i bought it sight unseen and it wont even be delevered untill monday but im out of town untill friday so.... i just know its a red van and I own it.

And now Rusty when people make fun of me on the internet I can drive to their house....

Just kidding bud, I hope you and yours are doing well.

Well come on. I'll make my home made chili.

I can paint a stripe but not a mural.
Even a stripe is pushing my paint skills.

Looks like one of my old Ford telephone Vans, those dividers made a hell of a racket going down the road! Mine was a CNG conversion. I was filling that thing every other day as the fuel guage wasnt calibrated to PSI so '1/2 tank' was "next stop, 1 of 2 CNG statoins in 30 mile radius..." Mine still had the vents.....! $400...NFW out here in CA.

It will have some stealth technology in it. I plan to use it for extended stay road trips and i dont plan on traveling unprepared.

MY wife asked how much a Sprinter in Winnebago or Westfalia trim was, I told her ~100K loaded. I bet you can deck that LWB van out by yourself for <10K .

MY wife asked how much a Sprinter in Winnebago or Westfalia trim was, I told her ~100K loaded. I bet you can deck that LWB van out by yourself for <10K .

Yup that is the exact number i had in mind. I plan to take this 400 dollar van dump 10K in it and buy me a 80K sprinter.

When this is done i think i can get 40 to 60K for it, if the market stays strong on vans.

Big Vans are Cool

You can travel cross country in them, and they haul parts when you need them to also.

1230171459.jpg

And less likely to die in the event of an EMP strike

I have been looking at sprinter vans now for a few years and talking to owners of them. One guy i just ran into brought up a good point on the sprinter vs the ram van. Him and his buddy's drive Baja each year. Last year one of the sprinter vans broke down on a lonely stretch of mexican HWY. The van had to be Towed to a large Mercedes dealership and then the dealer had to fly in a tech from germany to figure out the issue, (electrical sensor falure) THEN the part had to be flown in....

The Ram van wins in parts avability and ease of repair. So for me it will end up being a fancy "Dodge" van. Plus im more of a MOPAR guy than a fancy Mercedes type any way.

Parts avability and ease of repair was not realy something on my radar when buying a 80-100K van but after talking to that guy it is now.

Im not sure when i go to look at one they have always already fallen off?

:rofl::poke::popcorn::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::thumbsup:

-
Back