I got it in!

-

joeboy

Reaction score
I spent today with the HEMI and my 727... I finally got it in, to say these motors fit tight is a understatement. The TTI mounts and headers fit great in reality. They just don't leave much wiggle room. I put a few scratches in them, but didn't end up dimpling or bending any tubes during install.

The 727 went in easy, if you use the mancini flexplate kit, I suggest putting the spacers on the plate with grease or something to hold them before you get the trans in... There isnt really a good way to install them later, because if you bolt the converter to 1, the others wont fit. (I did it after install, it just wasn't easy)

My only true interference is at the drivers header tube and the distribution block/porportioning valve for the brakes. They are right against each other, so I may have to re-bend the bracket for the valve to make it sit a bit closer to the frame.

The passenger inner fender is about 3/16 to the valve cover, which seems pretty tight, but lots of places seem to be about that close... I still have to drop the steering column in, but it looks like it will clear.

View attachment P1010578.JPG

View attachment P1010579.JPG

View attachment P1010581.JPG

View attachment P1010590.JPG

View attachment P1010592.JPG

View attachment P1010593.JPG

View attachment P1010600.JPG

well if your gonna but a hemi in an a body you have to do the SS hemi dart trick of cutting the passenger side shock tower for clearance...

looks great. I wish i could stuff one of those in my a body

well if your gonna but a hemi in an a body you have to do the SS hemi dart trick of cutting the passenger side shock tower for clearance...

Evidently I missed the Memo on that one... Next time I guess...

JOE

I like it very much but the passenger side would worry me. I think you'll get it straighten out since you're so close. Good job.

Holy Crap! Now I know why they call them elephant motors. Can you control the torque to stop the valve covers from hitting the shock towers? Beautiful job by the way! That is one impressive car.O:)

I have tried and tried to drop my motor in from the top. I have no idea how you did that. I found it easiest to install from the bottom. You can assemble everything on the K member then lift the car roll the motor under it. And set the car back down. Lift front end up to meet and your done. Took us probably 45 min to install the motor. And was easy as pie.

I had the same problem with the passenger side on my car. I just trimmed the valve cover where it was too close to the shock tower. I doesn't give you a whole lot of clearance, but it's much better than before. Nice build, by the way :thumbup:.
img0032pl.jpg

First, THANKS EVERYBODY for all the kind words. I'm finally feeling like the hard work is paying off. I have really been making progress and cant wait to post more PICs as I figure stuff out.

I like it very much but the passenger side would worry me. I think you'll get it straighten out since you're so close. Good job.

That is my project for the next few days... gotta figure something out...

would it help to lift the motor a bit in the front regarding the pass. side ? Just shim the mount on this side?

Right now I have a 1/4 shim under the drivers side to clear that brake prop valve I mentioned. I am gonna move that prop valve, then see if I can remove the shim, maybe it will relocate to the center a bit. I am gonna make a 1/8 shim just in case, but tinkering yesterday proved that adding a pass side shim yesterday just move the motor up, not away...

I had the same problem with the passenger side on my car. I just trimmed the valve cover where it was too close to the shock tower. I doesn't give you a whole lot of clearance, but it's much better than before. Nice build, by the way :thumbup:.
img0032pl.jpg

Thanks for the PIC Ed, when I shuffle the motor around I was gonna pull the valve cover and do just that.. I hate to do it, but I need the space. Is your running? any torque issues?

Thanks again fellas,

JOE

Thanks for the PIC Ed, when I shuffle the motor around I was gonna pull the valve cover and do just that.. I hate to do it, but I need the space. Is your running? any torque issues?

No, unfortunately not running yet. Once I do, I have to rip it apart again to do the body. Good to see yours coming along so nicely! Be careful with the valve plastic valve cover, it's very easy to grind too much.

Not on all of them. I know of several that did not need it......not to mention that Indy Cylinder heads makes a clearanced valve cover for a 2G Hemi.....

No, unfortunately not running yet. Once I do, I have to rip it apart again to do the body. Good to see yours coming along so nicely! Be careful with the valve plastic valve cover, it's very easy to grind too much.

Thanks for the heads up.. I was trying to figure out the best way to do it. I may use a dremmel to keep me going slowly... BTW, what exhaust did you use? how big is your gap at that inner fender? and any shims or spacers on the K-member?

JOE

I used the TTI headers. The gap is 1/2", a lot better than 3/16" but still not a lot. I don't expect it'll hit, but I won't know for sure until the first time I dump the clutch (can't wait!!!)

I didn't like the way the TTI mounts interfered with the factory A/C compressor and oil filter so I wound up making my own mounts and doing some fabbing on the K to make them work. I can't comment on the shim situation, but I would suggest definitely getting the steering column in before finalizing the engine position.

I dont have an A body, B body is what I put a 5.7 hemi into, so let me say this.....if you used the shumacher poly locks and a poly trans mount, that engine wont move a mm. I've put a galss of water on top of the engine and it barely made the water ripple even when I floored it. So the small amount of gap that you guys are having to the inner fender is not a worry.

WOW. that build is absolutely beautiful. i have a soft spot in my heart for darts.

Looking great. On mine i used the TTI mounts . No problem with the passenger inner fender and the valve cover. I can take off the valve cover with everything in place. The only difference might be that i have the early 6.1 valve covers that are alumn.

Attachments

• P9060330.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 473
-
Back