I grew up in a motorhead family.

-
One thing I have noticed ( OK so more than 1 thing) is that as I age, I think back to the old memories of everything in life, more. hat good is life without memories?

My first car back in '62 was a 49 hand me down Chevy. I still wonder what dad and I could have made of it hotrod wise?? He was against drag racing, speed and stupid me wrapping my car and myself around some tree!

Dad started out a young man learning of mechanics during the Great Depression, then into a career in the USMC Aviation Corp, WW11 and Korea. He left the service a broken man, mentally. I was 7 then in 1955. He had little desire to do anything related to mechanicals, auto or aviation. . His interest went back to is youth and the farm, agriculture.

I wish many times he and I could have built a hotrod.

If I live another 10 days, I will be 72.

Damn, I miss my dad.

One thing I have noticed ( OK so more than 1 thing) is that as I age, I think back to the old memories of everything in life, more. hat good is life without memories?

James M Barrie (the guy who wrote Peter Pan) said that "God gave us memory so that we may have roses in December"

and since we're talking about memories, and Peter Pan
im just gonna drop this video here
why?

because it reminds me of the day i gained some street cred with one of my younger cousins
(now, keep in mind, this conversation took place after i became a Christian and cleaned up my life)
so, i was at some family meeting, and my cousin comes over and where just shooting the breeze so i asked them, how was your weekend?
(now, bear in mind, im about 10 years older then he is)
and he said, cool, i spend the night in town and i ran into this cool new band
i said who?
he said, oh you wouldnt know em
i said who?
he said "Peter Pan Speedrock"
i said, kiddo, i knew them back when they were still Peter Pan
he said "huh?"
i said, Peter Pan. the added the "speedrock" later because people heard the name and just figured they were a childrens act. people would call them for kid's birthday parties and such"

it was cool, he just stared at me

Cool video, but that is some head banging music! lol

Il like that quote from Mr. Barrie!!

I think got gives us memories so we can have good dreams as we get old. Was there not a country song that said something like " I only ride wild horses now, in my dreams??"

My first car back in '62 was a 49 hand me down Chevy. I still wonder what dad and I could have made of it hotrod wise?? He was against drag racing, speed and stupid me wrapping my car and myself around some tree!

Dad started out a young man learning of mechanics during the Great Depression, then into a career in the USMC Aviation Corp, WW11 and Korea. He left the service a broken man, mentally. I was 7 then in 1955. He had little desire to do anything related to mechanicals, auto or aviation. . His interest went back to is youth and the farm, agriculture.

I wish many times he and I could have built a hotrod.

If I live another 10 days, I will be 72.

Damn, I miss my dad.
My Pa left us when I was 14.. 40 years ago this summer. I was the only one out of us 8 to never build a car with him.. and I see now, it really had nothing to do with a car. It was life lessons. You needed a job to get money for a car.. then money to fix what was wrong. Then, when you got it all fixed, now you needed money for insurance! You also had to put the time into it.. no damned way he'd be out working on your car while you were at the movies. Sometimes you needed help from someone.. and if you were a jerk to the guy you now needed help from, well, you were SOL.
My older siblings were not happy I got away easy.. I got a turn-key '76 Plymouth Fury Sport, 360, auto on the floor when I was 16. I wish I would've had Pa around, and go the $50 beater route and spent the time with him... I'd trade that Plymouth for that.
When I'm faced with a life problem I'm struggling with, I ask myself "What would Pa do?".. the answer always becomes crystal clear.

Last edited:
Before our time my great grandfather drove V16 cylinder Lincoln. His sons drove the first tractors (no muffler) while half of the rural Midwest gave up farming and left for California. He would buy their homes, have his sons take them apart and sell off the wood and windows, etc. He new Morse code and taught his kids that skill in the 1930’s. Grandfather used it to start out as a radio operator in/after boot camp (1944).

Great grandfather rolled a thunderbird several dozen times down hill after losing traction on a turn (had 20/400+ vision) in his eighties. Never drove again after that, only had a bruise where the seat belt was.

For such a disciplined man, raising 6 boys with strict military boot camp like discipline during the depression & Dust Bowl, he loved to drive fast like me.

My grandfather didn’t appreciate it (speed or me driving fast later on ) but managed to earn enough money during the depression to fly in biplanes as a kid (1920’s/1930’s) -ended up late in WW2 (very young) in B-17’s, taught mom and his youngest son ((F-15 Eagle fighter pilot) how to fly. His hotrodding was going ANYWHERE in a Cessna (around Cuba, Alaska, & continental U.S.).

The closest family have to hotrodding though is only on FABO, as no one else shared their time and dad didn’t know anything. Thank GODfor you guys!

MY first rides fast.
It was 1955 and I was 7, dad retired out of the USMC and we move back to my mom's home town, Dawson, Ga. Dad got a job as a parts man in the small town Pontiac dealership. A while later, dad bought a new '55 4 door Pontiac, v8 3 speed auto, but we had to drive all the way to Fl. to pick it up. I was riding back with mom, and she says, lets see what this car can do!!! She pegged the speedo and left dad way far behind! Giggling.
OK so that car was not fast. My first ride fast ride was in a 62 409 4 speed Impala. I was 14 and my friend's cousin owned it and took us for a ride. He did the old 10 dollar bill on the dash trick, and pinned us in our seats! I saw the car for sale 2 years later on the local Chevy used car lot. Wow I wanted that car BAD!!!!!! But it was gone the next day, a local dude bought it and blew the engine a week later. Oh well! What can I say, it was a Chevy!!

-
Back