I guess I didn't repond fast enough?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
1..........It's not the end of the world

2..........There are no guarantees in life

3...........These are not some rare, hard to find part, you can get them at any local parts store

4...........Much as you'd like to have a "captive audience," even on EFray, people often list "stuff" locally or on multiple sites.
TADA! That simple...

Roy, I don't think your wrong. I am exactly the same way. Been burnt a few times on "shipping" costs.

All true, I guess I just expect courtesy and fairness. Silly me.

I agree Roy, truth is lotsa people here with different morals/values/opinions and this thread wont change their ways. Not saying you have to change yours, but if its a part you really need, next time floor it and hope for the best!

Unfortunately, there are many out there that buy without worrying about the other costs involved. It's a 50/50 split over whom to sell to and fairness isn't part of the equation, it's about moving the part(s). Good luck with your hunt, another will be out there.

i don't know. maybe in the two minutes it took you to respond someone else told him they would take it.

the other thing is that maybe he posted it then went away from the computer. when he came back and opened this site the first thing he would see is the pop up for a PM not your response in that thread. probably had it sold via pm before he ever saw your question. for $35 i'm sure it sold no questions asked. maybe to someone locally too. there are quite a few nj area guys on this site.

i know i have sold a few things here and got bombarded with pm's and replies to the thread. i try to sell first come first serve but man it gets confusing with multiple guys interested and trying to keep track of the time stamps. i'm sure i have screwed up at times.

Ok, ill try this again...I bought the starter!! I saw it at top of the page when I hit "new posts" and messaged right away with "if its still for sale, ill take it"! He messaged immediately with a message saying "you are the first"!

Could it be that the circumstances are just as your thread title states...."I guess I didnt respond fast enough" and that he played it strictly by your morals/rules and went with the "first" responder, and all this drama is unwarranted?

Quoting COSIG: I posted a horn button a couple weeks ago! I hit "post new thread", then "new posts" and got a PM window before the new posts even loaded, that quick! I messaged him back immedietly with a total including shipping, there were 3 more PM's saying "ill take it"! Went to the thread to put a "sale pending" alert to all who PM'd, another 3 "ill take it" PM's!! Elapsed time for everything...3 minutes!!! All told, 7 people in 3 minutes and not a single "PM Sent" post in the thread!

I got the starter, so you can hate me if you want, but I messaged immediately and simply said "if its still for sale, ill take it". With everybody following the rules and not posting in the threads, its hard to tell if anybody is ahead of you or not, that's why I now say "if its still for sale, ill take it"! I must've been first, as I have dealt with Scotty before and he is a very upstanding member! If someone was first I would have understood that and probably wouldn't have gotten a message from him, as I'm sure he had a least 1/2 dozen people message him! Should he respond to every single member and state where they are in line when he has a sale already?? Don't hold it against him, he is not to blame for anything but selling an item at a good price and generating a lot of interest!!

I was the SECOND person to PM on cosig's horn button two weeks ago. When I saw it listed for $25, I thought that I had recently sold one for $75 but I decided to check with my records before PMing him. Turns out that mine sold for $175 so I immediately PMed him. In that 30 seconds it was gone. A $175 part for $25 doesn't last long. It was my fault for waiting. You will not see me whining about it.

Here's another question to stir the pot: Why does the seller HAVE to sell to the first person to PM and ask? There are a few people on this site who I truly dislike. I try to get along with everybody, but there are a couple of characters where (as the old saying goes) "I wouldn't PEE in their mouth if their GUMS WERE ON FIRE!"

What if one of THESE people responded to my ad? Do I HAVE to sell to them? I suppose that I am a better person if I do, but human nature does kick in. Conversely, what if I list a part and three people respond then one of my BEST FRIENDS emails and say's "Hey! I just saw your ad! I NEED that part!" Do you tell your friend that you "HAVE" to sell it to someone else? AH, the questions of morality!

Finally, it continues to bother me when someone "expects" courtesy. I posted this analogy on another thread but I'll repost it again to make the point.

I was raised to open doors for ladies. Wherever I am, if there's a lady about to enter or leave the building, I will stop what I'm doing and hold the door for her. If it's a crowded building, I might hold the door for a few moments before another guy behind me takes the position for me. It's "common courtesy" and I do it instinctively. But this post got me to thinking:

What would I do if some woman was to stop before I had a chance to open the door and yell at me:

"HEY! Aren't you going to GET THE DOOR FOR ME??? I'm a LADY!!! What happened to COMMON COURTESY???"

I believe that I would probably ignore all the etiquette that I was taught and suggest that she go F#*k herself!

My point is that courtesy should be APPRECIATED, not DEMANDED. No one owes you any special consideration. If you get it, be happy that you did and remember to deal with that person again.

Don't know if Im on your good or bad list Greg but I certainly agree with you!

Don't know if Im on your good or bad list Greg but I certainly agree with you!
Ooops! It occurs to me after that post that, from now on, anyone who PMs me about a part and DOESN'T get a response is going to think that I don't like them! Actually, the list is very short. :)

You can throw a rock at at a junkyard and hit a mini-starter; the original ones I hear never really quit. So I'd take my pick, de-grease that bad boy and run it! :D

I'm getting beat up right now over a car I just sold here,Listen if you want what's for sale BUY IT very simple,I stated in my add the first $500 down get's the car held for them SO did anyone send me or pm me for my address ????? NO-so when I sold it now I've got numerous guy's bitching at me cause THEY didn't buy it !!!!!!!!! Seriously guy's get a grip,The new owner didn't require a title and he called me last wed. morning from Iowa asked if the car was still for sale and that he did'nt need the title right away and jumped in his truck with the cash and came and picked it up-Simple simple simple but now I've got guy's pming me that I sold the car out from underneath them and telling me my word if junk,I did NOT promise the car to anyone during the sale PERIOD,Anyone could have sent the $500 down and the car would have been there's--This goes BOTH way's with sellers and buyers.Don't CRY if you DON'T act on a sale--Steve

Greg, to answer your question on what if someone you don't like wants to buy a part you listed but you really don't want to sell it to them? That is an easy one. When I have a problem with a member for what ever reason, "They go on my blocked sender list" this way when time goes by and you don't remember that member. He will show up on threads as a "block sender". Done deal.
I'll state once again IT'S NOT ABOUT THE STARTER! As mentioned they are a dime a dozen.

Well good things come to those that wait! A member, JOE BOY, Has hooked me up. Bought a new starter for the same money! Thanks

Nice that it worked out well Roy. Most of the people on my ignore list are from bad parts selling/buying experiences.

At least you didn't have the deal struck and have the other party sell to someone else or not do their part. That is a big no no to me.

to me, its like bidding less then i would really want to bid on a part, be high bidder then have someone outbid me with 5 seconds to go. now i bid the max i would give for the item and if im outbid, i dont beat myself up about it. i was mad today that i couldnt get an email to send for a car when i was worried it might sell in the meantime. all you can do is what you feel right doing, and if you didnt get an item, there may be a reason, and something better may come along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back