I guess junkyard A-bodies are all gone now

-
There are some around here yet, but people have connections, and when they come in they get called first, the A body stuff isn't quite as hard to get, but the other stuff is like gold. I find mostly parts and not cars through people I meet at shows or fellow Mopar guys that are into B and E body stuff and know of A body parts. Steel prices definitely are what killed our hobby as far as parts go though, nothing was sacred when prices were up!!

last time i went to one (two months ago), there was only a 75 Scamp 4 door. You get lucky on craiglist, i bought a 74 4 door scamp for 400 bucks and it was complete. I only wanted grille and gas cap took them off then sold car for 400. Most recently there was a 72 scamp two door with no motor or trans for $400.

Amazing just how short sighted you guys are. I bought a 69 Cuda at the end of 69. But even today it is not worth the same dollars that a new challenger is bringing. You guys hear stories about how "someone" bought a car for salvage price then parted it out for big money and all of a sudden you demonize them as "flippers". There are more"collector" cars sitting on blocks that are owned by"hobbyists" that will someday build them when the parts prices drop! Good luck with that! I saw a 68 barracuda coupe that had chrome duct tape around the rear glass because the owner was too cheap to buy a good set of trim. You don't have the aftermarket because "you won't buy the parts"! And it don't take a brain surgeon to understand that GM and Ford guys have bought the parts structure and now they have reasonably priced parts. You can waaah,waaah,waah all you want about prices/flippers and blame everyone and everything else but "you" are to blame. You can wait for the "hoarders" to die and their stupid uninformed relatives to sell their stash but the reality is 90% of the time the parts are either crushed or sold to other "hoarders". If you really like these cars buy the parts build the cars and drive them. Or of course you still have the option of starting more threads about the "crazy high prices" of chryslers!!!!

my take. having ben and being a mopar guy basically the last 35 years, "we" tend to possess some interesting characteristics I have found.
flippers/ not always loved, but they serve a good purpose. they bring cars/parts to the public. now the guy that dislikes the flipper, let him find a bargain he wants to turn into a profit, then it is O K to flip. he finds a cheap bargain, decides to sell it at " market price"..... he makes a profit, that is OK..... ha
us car guys love bargains, but then again who does not????? swap meet? some people would not pay asking price no matter how much a bargain? two type buyers there, the bargain hunter and the guy that looks for that much needed part(s) ad willing to pay fair to even stupid price to have it in his hands.....
us mopar guys seem to collect more than the GM and Ford crowd.... seems we always have to own 5-6 cars, some even run???
parts? yep us Mopar guys love to whine about lack of, quality of, and price of.... some of which to me is totally justified..... main reason GM and Ford repop parts are cheaper and more available... more of those cars out there to get those parts......just as many of the brand x and y guys that are conservative, cheap, and slow to spend $ they don't have???? as us mopar guys.
time for lunch....

Amazing just how short sighted you guys are. I bought a 69 Cuda at the end of 69. But even today it is not worth the same dollars that a new challenger is bringing. You guys hear stories about how "someone" bought a car for salvage price then parted it out for big money and all of a sudden you demonize them as "flippers". There are more"collector" cars sitting on blocks that are owned by"hobbyists" that will someday build them when the parts prices drop! Good luck with that! I saw a 68 barracuda coupe that had chrome duct tape around the rear glass because the owner was too cheap to buy a good set of trim. You don't have the aftermarket because "you won't buy the parts"! And it don't take a brain surgeon to understand that GM and Ford guys have bought the parts structure and now they have reasonably priced parts. You can waaah,waaah,waah all you want about prices/flippers and blame everyone and everything else but "you" are to blame. You can wait for the "hoarders" to die and their stupid uninformed relatives to sell their stash but the reality is 90% of the time the parts are either crushed or sold to other "hoarders". If you really like these cars buy the parts build the cars and drive them. Or of course you still have the option of starting more threads about the "crazy high prices" of chryslers!!!!

You're misinformed. There's no aftermarket like Chevy and Ford because there isn't even half as many Mopars out there. Do yourself a favor and look at Mustang and Camaro production numbers. Even if Mopar owners "bought all the parts" the market share would be a fraction of the Ford and Chevy market.

Let's look at the production numbers. Here's the reference for the Mustang's and Camaro's WARNING: Graphic Content! 50 Years of Camaro vs. Mustang Sales Numbers in Living Color. This is what I'm using for the Mopar's. Dodge Challenger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Talk:Plymouth Barracuda/Production totals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll see just by looking at 1966 how crazy this is. In 1966 alone, Ford made 607,568 Mustangs. Do you know how many Challengers and Barracuda's were made from 1970 to 1974? 278,816. That's all of them. Every Challenger, every Barracuda from 1970 to 1974. Every single E-body ever made. And really, that's not a fair comparison because every 1966 Mustang uses the same parts. Combining a 4 year run of E-bodies means that not all of those cars use the same parts, even from the aftermarket. For example, there's 4 different styles of quarter panels in that range. At least 5 different fenders. That means different tooling, and that means smaller sales numbers for each set of tooling. That's higher prices.

So ok, you say that's not fair because Ma Mopar made a whole bunch of A-bodies and E-bodies were never that big on production numbers. Ok, let's use the Duster. Production Figures
Highest production year was 1974 and they only made 277,409. Let's get crazy, lets add them all up. 1970 to 1976. 1,219,505. That's every Duster ever made over a 7 year run. Back to those pesky Mustangs. Just the 1st gen Mustangs, 1964 1/2 to 1966, 1,288,557. Right. Yes, I'm aware that 64 1/2 to 66 was the biggest production #'s for the Mustang, but it doesn't matter. That's a single body style and a single generation, and there are more of them than the highest production Mopar musclecar made over it's entire range (Duster). Which included a couple of body style changes, which means all the parts aren't the same again, so really it's still not an apples to apples comparison. Dart production numbers were lower, so was everything else. And of course Ford made more cars than just the Mustang.

Bottom line is, Mopar guys hoard parts because you can't buy them in the aftermarket. Yeah, there will always be those guys that hoard a phenomenal number of parts, but every make has them, there are mustang guys like that too. Just like there are plenty of Mustang guys that are going to "fix it up someday" or whatever. No matter what the argument is, the scale is totally different. Mopar parts will always cost more, because there are simply less cars to create the demand.

as I think back to the beginning of the so called muscle car craze, later part of the 80's IMO, there was so little mopar reproduction parts. sure project and parts cars where "everywhere" compared to today, but we mopar guys had developed a mindset back then. find parts ya need and keep them! or maybe trade a buddy for something. sure there was the guy that had one mopar he was redoing, but in reality most mopar guys always seemed to have a yard at least partially full! ha
we had do with used OEM parts. an engine rebuild kit was cutting a fat hog. had some bucks and a GOOD parts guy at the mopar dealership, yep there were NOS stuff even. used most of everything. then came OEM carpet ( the same co. in Al. still is the maker), Legendary seat covers, some patch panels. etc....
are mopar guys cheaper???? the guys rebuilding E and the right B bodies in general are quicker to spend a $ on parts than the guy doing a 65 dart, for obvious reasons. if I knew I could bu all the god repop parts for an early A body, and IF I wanted to sell, could get back my $$, I would, but it ain't the case.
I could buy a GOOD 69 383 roadrunner project at a fair price, I could restore it all using the best parts and workmanship, and yes I could get back my $$, but I don't want to invest those $$ in a car and sell it and I would have more $$ in it that I could justify for a toy, so... here I came, ha

oh there is some truth in this for sure...

the other part there is so little mopar repopped parts out there because chrysler scrapped the dies for a ton of **** in the 70's when it was almost no more. any part that someone wants to make has to be done from scratch now..

Last edited:
oh there is some truth in this for sure...

the other part there is so little mopar repopped parts out there because chrysler scrapped the dies for a on of **** in the 70's when it was almost no more. any part that someone wants to make has to be done from scratch now..

That is very TRUE statement.

Slantflat - cannot speak for A bodies, but there is a pick n pull in Griffin that had a bunch of 70's-80's Dodge trucks in it. I was looking for truck parts, so I did not hit the car section.
Also, a small yard in Pinehurst that had several A bodies - do not know what his inventory is now.
C

You're misinformed. There's no aftermarket like Chevy and Ford because there isn't even half as many Mopars out there. Do yourself a favor and look at Mustang and Camaro production numbers. Even if Mopar owners "bought all the parts" the market share would be a fraction of the Ford and Chevy market.

Let's look at the production numbers. Here's the reference for the Mustang's and Camaro's WARNING: Graphic Content! 50 Years of Camaro vs. Mustang Sales Numbers in Living Color. This is what I'm using for the Mopar's. Dodge Challenger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Talk:Plymouth Barracuda/Production totals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll see just by looking at 1966 how crazy this is. In 1966 alone, Ford made 607,568 Mustangs. Do you know how many Challengers and Barracuda's were made from 1970 to 1974? 278,816. That's all of them. Every Challenger, every Barracuda from 1970 to 1974. Every single E-body ever made. And really, that's not a fair comparison because every 1966 Mustang uses the same parts. Combining a 4 year run of E-bodies means that not all of those cars use the same parts, even from the aftermarket. For example, there's 4 different styles of quarter panels in that range. At least 5 different fenders. That means different tooling, and that means smaller sales numbers for each set of tooling. That's higher prices.

So ok, you say that's not fair because Ma Mopar made a whole bunch of A-bodies and E-bodies were never that big on production numbers. Ok, let's use the Duster. Production Figures
Highest production year was 1974 and they only made 277,409. Let's get crazy, lets add them all up. 1970 to 1976. 1,219,505. That's every Duster ever made over a 7 year run. Back to those pesky Mustangs. Just the 1st gen Mustangs, 1964 1/2 to 1966, 1,288,557. Right. Yes, I'm aware that 64 1/2 to 66 was the biggest production #'s for the Mustang, but it doesn't matter. That's a single body style and a single generation, and there are more of them than the highest production Mopar musclecar made over it's entire range (Duster). Which included a couple of body style changes, which means all the parts aren't the same again, so really it's still not an apples to apples comparison. Dart production numbers were lower, so was everything else. And of course Ford made more cars than just the Mustang.

Bottom line is, Mopar guys hoard parts because you can't buy them in the aftermarket. Yeah, there will always be those guys that hoard a phenomenal number of parts, but every make has them, there are mustang guys like that too. Just like there are plenty of Mustang guys that are going to "fix it up someday" or whatever. No matter what the argument is, the scale is totally different. Mopar parts will always cost more, because there are simply less cars to create the demand.
Sure,I'm "misinformed"!!!! I can buy a new 32 Ford cabriolet body-and the production numbers for these are??????? ITS ABOUT THE MONEY!!!! Aftermarket is all over these forums as research. And the answers they get is- these cheap bastards will not pay for parts! You and so many others have told them time and time again the money is NOT here! Don't believe me??? Look at all the posts that most on here rant and rave about these cars are not worth what it costs to rebuild one. The green 69 Cuda is a great example!!!!! There are more tire kickers at a Chrysler meet than Ford or GM. And the single common denominator is"cheep cheep cheep"! And by the way I own quite a few different makes and go to meets of all types. Sit on the"Chrysler hobbyist" moniker all you want but"money"buys the good whiskey.

Sure,I'm "misinformed"!!!! I can buy a new 32 Ford cabriolet body-and the production numbers for these are??????? ITS ABOUT THE MONEY!!!! Aftermarket is all over these forums as research. And the answers they get is- these cheap bastards will not pay for parts! You and so many others have told them time and time again the money is NOT here! Don't believe me??? Look at all the posts that most on here rant and rave about these cars are not worth what it costs to rebuild one. The green 69 Cuda is a great example!!!!! There are more tire kickers at a Chrysler meet than Ford or GM. And the single common denominator is"cheep cheep cheep"! And by the way I own quite a few different makes and go to meets of all types. Sit on the"Chrysler hobbyist" moniker all you want but"money"buys the good whiskey.

You're right, I like good whiskey and I can't afford it. If only I liked Chevrolets

You can also look at actions Barrett Jackson for one , except for a mopar run a few years back when they were selling big , its mostly Ford , Chevy . Why ? Because their cheap and plentiful and quite frankly the owners get tired of them . They can turn them around and rebuild another quick. Mopar owners know their hobby isn't cheap or easy
that's why we hold on to them but look at what you have when your finished. Ford and chevy guys know this also. Like the saying goes .... theres only two kinds of car people those that have Mopars and those that wish they had Mopars.

They are getting sold on sites like craigslist before they make it to the yard. Just today I talked to a guy that bought a 75 dart sport for 500. He bought it to part it out, disk brakes, good interior, etc. The problem is he can make more for parts than someone will offer him for it. It would have been a great project car. He woudn't take 1000 for it cause he could make more off the parts. I have seen alot of local cars to me meet this fate. Better get you a car to build now before your paying 20,000 for a slant 6 project in 10 years.

I think it is a to each his own on the parting out thing and making money.... Honestly, I can do other things with my life skills and easily exceed what you can make parting most cars out that are found these days.... There will always be exceptions to the rule but let's face it in that if you get a great deal in today's world of old iron there is a good chance that parts are just fair to average.... That is how I see it anyhow....

I have a parts car now that I am going to limit what I remove and hopefully give someone a good deal and let them have a good solid car to work with and not break the bank while doing it.... Of course while I type that someone will probably come by and put the sales hat on ol' JW and get one past me..... Nah, ain't happening Lol....

JW

d667 no doubt has a point to some degree.
as history of the mopar hobby, I remember when NO ONE wanted a mopar ( other than us Mopar diehards)..., it was GM and then Ford. then after some years went by, one day, MOPAR rare iron was the big ticket!! the big boy $$ guys wanted that rare one, the ones connected to ego and $$ and big profits. at that point. Mopars were claiming TOP spot, way ahead of GM and Ford. but cycles come and go. no doubt people doing 68-70 B bodies helped the aftermarket jump into repoping some parts for those.
my 62 Lancer. there will maybe NEVER be any parts repoped for that no doubt. is it because there are NONE out there, or I am a cheap bas**** for owning one!? Ha

one thing that does help the GM Ford guys, lets face it their parts cost them a good bit less than ours. cheap parts cause ya to spend $ faster and more. it helps the pocketbook and no doubt he mental part!? I get a bad case of chills other day having to buy 2 2/2 gal of Rotella to change oil in the Cummins!!~! ha
good thing I has enough oats to change my own.

Yea, I remember in the 80's when I used to go to the local yards and A bodies were everywhere. Parts were dirt cheap. 30 years ago, at 18, I walked in the local yard and pulled Duster doors, fenders, hood, and trunk lid before paint. Just to get the straightest pieces. Any interior part was available. Time passes so fast.

The same will be said for the following generations to come.... I can remember in the 90's all of the Buick Regals everywhere with top shelf used parts... What the GN guys will pay for parts is fairly hard to believe considering I use to walk by that G Body stuff every weekend. And look now lol.... And so it goes.....

JW

You're right, I like good whiskey and I can't afford it. If only I liked Chevrolets
I totally agree! I have always loved chryslers and I own a wad of them! I have been given Chrysler motors, one in particular a 392 fuel injected hemi but that was a few years back an I had one heck of a time finding a carb and intake for it. Yeah I'm a hoarder I still have it!

What 72BluNblu said. True. The numbers are simply against us. It is a fact that A-bodies are scarce. I usually only attend one local Mopar show each year and every year its the same - maybe 15-20 of the Mopars are A-bodies. Lots of B and E bodies.
The bean counters are winning. It costs real money to set up presses, dies, molds, do testing, etc. If the numbers don't add up, its not getting built. I too, ***** and moan about the price of parts and also have my own "stash", but that is the nature of the beast we live with. Whenever I catch myself in self pity mode I just remind myself of a couple of things. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it, and 2) I give thanks to the Mopar gods that allow places like AMD, PG Classics, Tony D, and all the others that actually hang it out there and re-pop the parts we can make use of. I think we are actually quite fortunate that there are as many vendors as there are. Thank you, from the bottom of my wallet (I mean heart). My A-bodies are the better for them.
To support the OP, there are no A-body parts cars in wrecking yards around here anymore either.They pop up occasionally for sale, but they always seem to be made of unobtainium, or the "easy fix" is about 500 hours of bodywork!

It is about the money, and you are misinformed. Tooling costs money. It costs the same money to make the tooling to stamp a hundred fenders or a thousand. So, if you only make a hundred the fenders cost a lot more if you're planning on making a profit. Which is fine if you're making fenders for a car that's worth a lot.

Mustangs win this battle by numbers. They can sell a ton of parts because there's a ton of cars and they're popular. Shake a tree and Mustang parts fall out, those are the real "cheap bastards". Their cars are cheap, their parts are cheap, and they're everywhere. You can guarantee a return on your tooling or development costs because you can sell large quantities at a small margin, not because Mustang guys would spend a lot of money on them (they wouldn't! I know mustang guys, and they're plenty cheap!). Your '32 Cabriolet is another perfect example. They didn't make many at all, but everyone wants one because they're the quintessential hot rod, a historical icon. So, thousands and thousands of reproduction body's get made because only the really rich jerks can afford originals. But there's more than enough demand to still sell large quantities of re-pops, because everyone wants one. Which is why there are more aftermarket '32's now than there ever were originals, and why they're not horribly outlandish to buy a complete re-popped body for. Expensive yes, but not considering you're basically buying a whole car. And when you're done you can still get a really good value for the car even though it's not an original.

And that's where the value of the car is important too. Wanna know what mopars actually have all their body parts re-popped now, just like the Ford and Chevy's? E-bodies. You can buy any body panel you need, they make them all. There are even some full reproduction bodies out there now and more in the works. Why? Not production numbers that's for sure, they had the smallest production numbers of all the mopars, just look at my last post. But they're worth more now, so it's worth it to fix them, even if you have to pay a ton for the parts. And you do have to pay a TON for E-body parts, believe me. But those jerks at Barrett Jackson will pay millions for a Hemi-Cuda, so everyone else will pay the high costs for E-body parts thinking they'll get a decent return. And for the most part they will, because the cars are worth enough to justify big restorations.

Just look at what you can buy for A-body's, it tells the whole story and it's not cheap owners. You can buy re-popped fenders, quarters, floor pans, etc. But you can't buy frame rails, they aren't reproduced yet. Why? Because an A-body with rusty frame rails is a parts car still. It would cost more money to fix than it would be worth, even if the parts were cheap (which they wouldn't be, not mustang cheap anyway). You can still buy mostly complete A-bodies that need work for under a grand. You can't buy the metal to fix them for that. The value of the car just isn't there. I bought my '74 Duster for $2k. No rust, original paint, 91k original miles, I almost managed to drive it home even. You can't make money selling frame rails for that car, because if it has a bad frame you just part it and buy another one for $2k that has a good frame, which is far less than the repairs would cost. That's just the market, they aren't big dollar cars. And while most hobbyists know they won't get all their money back, they also don't want to completely lose their butt by spending two or three times what a car is worth to fix it.

A-bodies just have it all wrong for numbers and demand. They made a bunch of them, so they aren't worth a ton. But they didn't make so many that everyone has one. And they aren't so popular that everyone wants one. The fact that the yards are drying up a little is a good thing, it shows that they're finally getting to be worth enough that folks just don't flat out scrap them. They're still not getting big money though, so the parts availability isn't going to take off anytime soon. It'll get better, but not rapidly. Because the money isn't there, it still would cost too much money to develop the tooling for the numbers that would be sold at any price. And if original parts are still out there for less, the aftermarket won't be there. Only an idiot would spend big dollars on reproduction parts when you can still get originals for less money that are in good shape.

watch estate auctions us old guys are starting to orphan these cars going to one Friday with a 66 4 door coronet

It is about the money, and you are misinformed. Tooling costs money. It costs the same money to make the tooling to stamp a hundred fenders or a thousand. So, if you only make a hundred the fenders cost a lot more if you're planning on making a profit. Which is fine if you're making fenders for a car that's worth a lot.

Mustangs win this battle by numbers. They can sell a ton of parts because there's a ton of cars and they're popular. Shake a tree and Mustang parts fall out, those are the real "cheap bastards". Their cars are cheap, their parts are cheap, and they're everywhere. You can guarantee a return on your tooling or development costs because you can sell large quantities at a small margin, not because Mustang guys would spend a lot of money on them (they wouldn't! I know mustang guys, and they're plenty cheap!). Your '32 Cabriolet is another perfect example. They didn't make many at all, but everyone wants one because they're the quintessential hot rod, a historical icon. So, thousands and thousands of reproduction body's get made because only the really rich jerks can afford originals. But there's more than enough demand to still sell large quantities of re-pops, because everyone wants one. Which is why there are more aftermarket '32's now than there ever were originals, and why they're not horribly outlandish to buy a complete re-popped body for. Expensive yes, but not considering you're basically buying a whole car. And when you're done you can still get a really good value for the car even though it's not an original.

And that's where the value of the car is important too. Wanna know what mopars actually have all their body parts re-popped now, just like the Ford and Chevy's? E-bodies. You can buy any body panel you need, they make them all. There are even some full reproduction bodies out there now and more in the works. Why? Not production numbers that's for sure, they had the smallest production numbers of all the mopars, just look at my last post. But they're worth more now, so it's worth it to fix them, even if you have to pay a ton for the parts. And you do have to pay a TON for E-body parts, believe me. But those jerks at Barrett Jackson will pay millions for a Hemi-Cuda, so everyone else will pay the high costs for E-body parts thinking they'll get a decent return. And for the most part they will, because the cars are worth enough to justify big restorations.

Just look at what you can buy for A-body's, it tells the whole story and it's not cheap owners. You can buy re-popped fenders, quarters, floor pans, etc. But you can't buy frame rails, they aren't reproduced yet. Why? Because an A-body with rusty frame rails is a parts car still. It would cost more money to fix than it would be worth, even if the parts were cheap (which they wouldn't be, not mustang cheap anyway). You can still buy mostly complete A-bodies that need work for under a grand. You can't buy the metal to fix them for that. The value of the car just isn't there. I bought my '74 Duster for $2k. No rust, original paint, 91k original miles, I almost managed to drive it home even. You can't make money selling frame rails for that car, because if it has a bad frame you just part it and buy another one for $2k that has a good frame, which is far less than the repairs would cost. That's just the market, they aren't big dollar cars. And while most hobbyists know they won't get all their money back, they also don't want to completely lose their butt by spending two or three times what a car is worth to fix it.

A-bodies just have it all wrong for numbers and demand. They made a bunch of them, so they aren't worth a ton. But they didn't make so many that everyone has one. And they aren't so popular that everyone wants one. The fact that the yards are drying up a little is a good thing, it shows that they're finally getting to be worth enough that folks just don't flat out scrap them. They're still not getting big money though, so the parts availability isn't going to take off anytime soon. It'll get better, but not rapidly. Because the money isn't there, it still would cost too much money to develop the tooling for the numbers that would be sold at any price. And if original parts are still out there for less, the aftermarket won't be there. Only an idiot would spend big dollars on reproduction parts when you can still get originals for less money that are in good shape.
You sure spend a lot of time and effort to explain how I am correct. Guess it must be worth something to you to try to get the "misinformed"idea out there. At the end of the day A body Joe is correct, the tooling is gone and to retool costs money,and if you won't pay for good new parts then you won't get them. My point is- if you won't pay for good new or good used then pay your body man to rebuild them!

Yep i agree with the mustang analogy. Take for instance just the taillight assemblies on the 1st gen mustang VS 67 barracuda. Same light lens, bezel, reflector, and gasket is used on both LH and RH of the mustang. 1 tooling cost per piece because it fits both sides. Then you have 1 million copies of the car produced by mid year 1966 all using the same lamp assembly from 1964 thru 1966

1967 barracuda. Ok maybe 70,000 cars as a generous estimate for that 1 year. Tooling X2 since there are specific LH and RH parts to make a pair of these lamps. Plus these lamps are correct for 1 year only.

Now you.can buy the mustangs plastic lenses repopped for about $20 a pair

The 67 barracuda lenses for about $180 a pair.

Now as far as being cheap, i'm not cheap. I would love for AMD to come out with even just outer door skins for the second gen barracudas so i can reskin my doors instead of having to filler them. Since the same skin fits all 3 years and body styles of this car they could recoup their money pretty easily.

If you notice one of the first things repopped for A bodys was defroster vents. This was probably because it was easier to make tooling for injection moulding plastic parts, using existing good originals for moulds, and it was a common enough part from 1967 to 1976 unchanged.

The aftermarket is catching up, though i have no idea why AMD made a dutchman panel for 67/68/69 barracuda notchback when it seems most people regard these as parts cars for convertibles and fastbacks. Fastbacks BTW were the highest production # of this bodystyle.

I have seen quite a bit of 67 up A body sheetmetal being made now for the structural end. Full floor pans, full trunk floors, trunk drop offs, inner fender wells outer fender wells, front inner fender wells, rear shock mount crossmember, torsion bar crossmember, lower radiator support crossmember, outer rocker panels, cowl side support panels, spare tire mounts, etc. Its a matter of time before the rest is done.

AMD took the time to repop damn near every body panel for the 67 - 69 dart, plus the structural pieces i just mentioned that we all know fit it.

I am hoping they will see the value in repopping 67- 69 cuda fenders as well since beat to **** originals are fetching at minimum $300. I would gladly pay $500-$600 each for new ones, instead of F@@King around with fiberglass repop **** that almost never fits right on the first try for $500 each.

Last edited:
Yep i agree with the mustang analogy. Take for instance just the taillight assemblies on the 1st gen mustang VS 67 barracuda. Same light lens, bezel, reflector, and gasket is used on both LH and RH of the mustang. 1 tooling cost per piece because it fits both sides. Then you have 1 million copies of the car produced by mid year 1966 all using the same lamp assembly from 1964 thru 1966

1967 barracuda. Ok maybe 70,000 cars as a generous estimate for that 1 year. Tooling X2 since there are specific LH and RH parts to make a pair of these lamps. Plus these lamps are correct for 1 year only.

Now you.can buy the mustangs plastic lenses repopped for about $20 a pair

The 67 barracuda lenses for about $180 a pair.

Now as far as being cheap, i'm not cheap. I would love for AMD to come out with even just outer door skins for the second gen barracudas so i can reskin my doors instead of having to filler them. Since the same skin fits all 3 years and body styles of this car they could recoup their money pretty easily.

If you notice one of the first things repopped for A bodys was defroster vents. This was probably because it was easier to make tooling for injection moulding plastic parts, using existing good originals for moulds, and it was a common enough part from 1967 to 1976 unchanged.

The aftermarket is catching up, though i have no idea why AMD made a dutchman panel for 67/68/69 barracuda notchback when it seems most people regard these as parts cars for convertibles and fastbacks. Fastbacks BTW were the highest production # of this bodystyle.

I have seen quite a bit of 67 up A body sheetmetal being made now for the structural end. Full floor pans, full trunk floors, trunk drop offs, inner fender wells outer fender wells, front inner fender wells, rear shock mount crossmember, torsion bar crossmember, lower radiator support crossmember, outer rocker panels, cowl side support panels, spare tire mounts, etc. Its a matter of time before the rest is done.

AMD took the time to repop damn near every body panel for the 67 - 69 dart, plus the structural pieces i just mentioned that we all know fit it.

I am hoping they will see the value in repopping 67- 69 cuda fenders as well since beat to **** originals are fetching at minimum $300. I would gladly pay $500-$600 each for new ones, instead of F@@King around with fiberglass repop **** that almost never fits right on the first try for $500 each.
There is a guy on here that has 69 NOS barracuda fenders maybe you can get a deal with him

As late as last month there was a 67 Dart 4 door at LKQ.

We have three LKQ yards in a reasonable driving circuit about an hour away.

About 2 years ago, that same yard had 2 71/72 2 door Darts.
One had a perfect quarter panel that got cut off sometime between my fist and second visits.
I did manage to scrounge the hard to find A/C controls that are also correct for 66/67 B body Dodge.

Last month there was a totally unmolested 85 5th Ave at the "best" LKQ.

I have a more local yard the still has a 68 loaded Valiant 200 4 door.
I got the radio, A/C controls, map light and a few more things off that car.
Still has nice fenders. Was PS, PB, A/C, 273, but had floor mat instead of carpet.

$500 parts cars also still exist on craigslist.

Was a $500 74 225 Duster last month, and before that a $1500 running 225, A/C duster that didn't look to bad body wise.
Also saw a $200 complete 73-76 Duster quarter panel, rust and dent free including rocker and wheel houses.

There is a guy on here that has 69 NOS barracuda fenders maybe you can get a deal with him

I saw those, i am looking for 67s additionally one of em is dented and has a crease in it. Guys are telling him he could get $1,000 each or more for them, and he probably could. Paying $1k on clean gennie sheetmetal, then cutting the reflector indention out and patching it up to use on a non numbers originally slanty 6 car is a bit of a sin. I have money to spend, but not that much. 2k would go nicely in my engine. I think the AMD 68/69 charger fenders are going for $500 each. Thats more doable pricewise. If i have to, i can patch mine, and run it in primer all jambed out for paint, and if or when AMD repops the fenders, i will buy a pair , put em on, and get the car painted. I have a good 67 passenger door i got with a parts car i planned on trying to save, however i now plan on using, and an "ok" drivers door shell with a little bondo in it i got from a local boneyard that had some sins in it i fixed. Bought an upper painted interior section of a drivers door from 4spdragtop since the one on this one is walloped in. Will have to cut out and graft in this section to make it useable.

Last edited:
-
Back