I hate beavers.

-

avarageerod

Reaction score
Get your mind out of the gutter. I hate beavers. They have almost ruined three of our ponds and I just couldn't see them too shoot. Well, I made a extension for the bobcat too bust the dam, waited until almost dark and shoot two of em, I think. I just thought I should share. Does anybody know of anyway too get rid of them? Other than shooting of coarse.

LOL, hit them with a pellet gun, doesnt kill them. it just hurts them, they will leave after, thats what we did

Get your mind out of the gutter. I hate beavers. They have almost ruined three of our ponds and I just couldn't see them too shoot. Well, I made a extension for the bobcat too bust the dam, waited until almost dark and shoot two of em, I think. I just thought I should share. Does anybody know of anyway too get rid of them? Other than shooting of coarse.

I've only ever used lead to get rid of them. You gotto plan your day around the dynamite. Blow the dam in the morning and when they come to repair it, and they will come, pick them off. It's best to have 2 or 3 shooters as you'll only get a few shots off. They'll keep coming back all day long to repair the hole. The other thing you can do, and yes it's mean cuss you gotto kill the whole family, If it's cold enough in the winter where you are to form ice you find their lodge and in the middle of the winter blow the dam closest to it so you lower the water level really fast. When they come out they'll freeze to death and if they wait to long to come out their lodge exit will be freeze in which case they'll parish from hunger. Mean but effective.

Terry

Just don't turn your back on them...

ScreenHunter_03 Sep. 23 21.20.jpg

Don't kill them...they are living animals and are nearing extintion.....that is a slow mind way to deal with them...just raise the rent or like the man said......BB gun them for fun with a spot light at night till they leave.

Beer and a BB gun are way too much fun.:-D

Mop

Call your local game and fisheries, they can trap and relocate them to a place where they can do what they do without bothering anybody.

Their is a trapper in our area too that'll come out and get rid of them for you for free. They can be ornery buggers damming up creeks and whatever but I feel it's best not to kill them as every creature plays it's part in nature. Just let the local trapper re-locate them. JMO

p.s. Look in your local ph book for the game and wildlife # and call them. Should be a listing but if there isn't you can probably google.

Think of them like this. We build dams with millions of tons of concrete, the biggest tools we have and technology at its best. They build dams with a little tail, tiny arms and two teeth.

I hate skunks, and I don't run over them, unless I have too

you could get rid of their food source...the small apsen/poplar/ etc trees

"you could get rid of their food source...the small apsen/poplar/ etc trees"

There's too much deforestation going on these days. Woods operations, fires, natural disasters. Hell, look at the rain forest, or whats left of it. So save the planet. Eat a beaver, save a tree. 8)

To prevent conflicts or remedy existing problems:

Choose and place plants carefully.
Plant areas with Sitka spruce, elderberry, cascara, osoberry (Indian plum), ninebark, and twinberry, because they are not the beavers’ preferred food plants. Densely plant aspen, cottonwood, willow, spirea (hardhack), and red-twig dogwood because, once their roots are well established the upper parts of the plants often resprout after being eaten. Planting preferred plants away from known beaver trails will limit losses.

Note: Beavers do use plants as construction materials that they might not eat.

Install barriers.
The trunks of individual large trees can be loosely wrapped with 3 foot high, galvanized welded wire fencing, hardware cloth, or multiple layers of chicken wire (Fig. 6). Barriers can be painted to make them less noticeable. Welded wire fencing coated with green vinyl that helps the fencing blend in is also available.

Lengths of corrugated plastic drainpipe can be attached around the trunks of narrow-diameter trees.

Note: Dark-colored pipe can burn trunks in full sun; wider diameter pipe or pipe with holes in it may prevent overheating problems.

Painting tree trunks with a sand and paint mix (2/3 cup masonry grade sand per quart of latex paint) has proven somewhat effective at protecting trees from beaver damage. The animals presumably don’t like the gritty texture.

Note: Preventing access to food sources may force beavers to eat other nearby plants, including roses and other ornamentals.

Figure 6. Various barriers can be used to protect plants from beaver damage. All plants should be protected to at least 3 feet above ground—or the snow line—and inspected regularly.
(Drawings by Jenifer Rees.)

Surround groups of trees and shrubs with 3-foot high barriers made of galvanized, welded wire fencing or other sturdy material (Fig. 7). (A beaver’s weight will pull down chicken wire and similar lightweight material.) Stake the barriers to prevent beavers from pushing them to the side or entering from underneath. An electric fence with two hot wires suspended 8 and 12 inches off the ground is also effective at protecting groups of plants.

Figure 7. Groups of plants can be protected from beaver damage by surrounding them with wire fencing.
Protect large areas that border beaver habitat by installing 4-foot high field fencing. Keep the bottom of the fence flush to the ground, or include an 18-inch wide skirt on the beaver side of the fence, to prevent beavers from entering underneath.

Groups of plants can be protected from beaver damage by surrounding them with wire fencing.

Apply repellents.
Commercial taste and odor repellents have provided mixed results, perhaps because they need to be reapplied often, particularly in moist weather. Taste and odor repellents are most effective when applied at the first sign of damage, when other food is available, and during the dry season. Two repellents that have had some success are Big Game Repellent® and Plant-skydd®. (See “Repellents” in Deer for additional information.)

Control the height of water behind a beaver dam to prevent flooding.
It may be possible to make a small change in the depth of a beaver pond by installing a flow device at the intended depth, extending upstream and downstream of the dam. This keeps the rise in the water level at a minimum by using one or more plastic pipes to continually drain the pond area (see “Flexible Leveler” below. Click to enlarge). For leveling systems to work properly, you will have to have at least 3 feet of water in the pond area for the beaver to stay.

The flow device can be constructed from plastic pipe measuring 4 to 12 inches in diameter, depending on the volume of water in the stream. The end extending upstream from the dam must be baffled to prevent beavers from damming or blocking the pipe.

Flexible Leveler
Click to enlarge

Prevent beavers from plugging culverts.
To a beaver, a culvert probably looks like a hole in an otherwise fine dam. When they plug the hole, a flooded road can result. However, V-shaped, semicircular, or trapezoidal fences of woven wire mesh can prevent culverts from being plugged (see “Beaver Deceiver” below. Click to enlarge.). Large flow-control devices that include a solid framework can be covered and used as a deck or wildlife viewing spot.

Note: Installation of flow control devices is complicated and generally requires a permit (see “Legal Status”).

Beaver Deceiver
Click to enlarge

Dam removal.
It is pointless to destroy a beaver dam because beavers (frequently many at one time) often begin rebuilding them immediately after they are removed. Furthermore, it may be illegal to remove a beaver dam without a permit (see “Legal Status”).

best i have ever heard and keeps the animal lovers happy

use a humane trap and that will keep all the animal lovers happy... then take it out to a new place ..and bring along your shovel..

as soon as you open the trap beat the beaver over the head with the shovel till its dead.

best i have ever heard and keeps the animal lovers happy

use a humane trap and that will keep all the animal lovers happy... then take it out to a new place ..and bring along your shovel..

as soon as you open the trap beat the beaver over the head with the shovel till its dead.

lol lol nice. i say animals were put here to work for us not us work for them. so dont abuse them but dont make them more important then people. i would say get rid of them the easiest and cheapest way weather it be dynimate or shooting them or relocating them or beating them in the head with a shovel lol

the best way I have found to prevent beavers from stopping up culverts is to use an elbow on the water side and down but not glue it. Confuses them because the water is entering the pipe below surface. Say it is in a duck pond that you want to flood then roll the elbow up to the desired level but during off season leave elbow turned down. I am in excavating business and used this method with success for years.

-
Back