I hate the direction racing is heading

-
There are two methods of thought to both brackets and .90 racing: true dial-in 'bracket racing' does involve a developed skill of judging when and where to 'back-pedal', shut off/get your foot off the loud-pedal, really knowing the particulars of your vehicle and the most important part...cutting the lgiht! On-the-other-hand, for the most part .90 has gotten to be more of a 'point and shoot' category with all the electronic paraphernalia to do just about all but steer the car...where's the real skill in that? And my friend, THAT is boring! NHRA stock/super stock racing has taken on a glorified bracket-style racing which has caused a real change in flavor over the years compared to what it had originally been in the '60 and '70s. Unfortunately, speed and power are measured by the bankroll or how big (or small) the racing budget is...and that's a fact! During the early years of .90 (super street/super gas/super comp), there were some pretty exciting races as a good portion of the racers were still wrenching their cars to 'hit the number' w/o any help from mr delay box or any ignition cut out system, there was actually a higher driver skill-factor involved. Unfortunately, like most things in our ever evolving society...let the machine do it as it does a better job...yawn...and I have so many more important things to do (other than develope skills)!
Index racing and our area is really booming. 4 .40. 4.70, 5.20 , 5 70 , 6.00, 6.50, 7 flat 8 flat no electronics and throttle stops. It's a lot of fun. The throttle stops and electronics that control the et of the car ruined it for spectators. But it's making a comeback in our area. No one enjoyed watching a car capable of running 2 seconds under its index using a electric or pneumatic throttle stop to slow the car down. The devices are not allowed in the index racing around here.

Index racing and our area is really booming. 4 .40. 4.70, 5.20 , 5 70 , 6.00, 6.50, 7 flat 8 flat no electronics and throttle stops. It's a lot of fun. The throttle stops and electronics that control the et of the car ruined it for spectators. But it's making a comeback in our area. No one enjoyed watching a car capable of running 2 seconds under its index using a electric or pneumatic throttle stop to slow the car down. The devices are not allowed in the index racing around here.
What have you been now with the BLoomer heads

What have you been now with the BLoomer heads
I just picked up the car yesterday from Laverne Ferrouillat in Mobile. He built a new big tube set of headers and moved the engine and transmission 1.375" forward and we installed a Pro Systems alcohol fuel system and carburetor. We think that it'll go 5.90's now, possibly 5.80's. I should be at the track by mid to late April. We did scale the car and it weighs 2630 without a driver. Keep your fingers crossed.

That track has come a long way but there is a ton of work to be done. Last time it flooded we were down there running a friends Mustang. The track still had dirt on it. At the 1/8 mile the car in the other lane hit the dirt and started to spin. Crossed the line in front of my buddy and smashed the wall. Luckily my friend saw him coming over and got on the breaks immediately. Still, their piss poor track care causes accidents.
Edgewater's new generation of ownership/ management seems to be pretty focused on the no prep events. I grew up in that area, and feel lucky to have been so close to a decent track. Racing there a couple times last season, I thought the track was in pretty rough shape - especially on the big end. Downright scary trying to slow down with gravel and sand on the track - and my junk was only running mid 11's!

Edgewater's new generation of ownership/ management seems to be pretty focused on the no prep events. I grew up in that area, and feel lucky to have been so close to a decent track. Racing there a couple times last season, I thought the track was in pretty rough shape - especially on the big end. Downright scary trying to slow down with gravel and sand on the track - and my junk was only running mid 11's!

They do prep the track on most of those heads up races. They just don’t do a real great job. I feel like they do a pretty decent job of keeping bracket racing on the schedule. Now as big as when Dick was running the show but his son or whoever is running it now sees the $$$ the heads up stuff brings in. Spectator wise it’s not even close. The 2 day street car take over event had that place completely packed. That weekend the guy that runs that event (Justin) brought in his own guy to prep the track. There was some REALLY fast cars going down the track with no issues. It can be done but edgewater needs to invest in someone that knows track prep.

They do prep the track on most of those heads up races. They just don’t do a real great job. I feel like they do a pretty decent job of keeping bracket racing on the schedule. Now as big as when Dick was running the show but his son or whoever is running it now sees the $$$ the heads up stuff brings in. Spectator wise it’s not even close. The 2 day street car take over event had that place completely packed. That weekend the guy that runs that event (Justin) brought in his own guy to prep the track. There was some REALLY fast cars going down the track with no issues. It can be done but edgewater needs to invest in someone that knows track prep.
Agree. I dont blame them for having events that put butts in seats. It is nice to have a decent 1/4 track within an hour drive, so i cant complain. I have been wanting to go up and check out the track in Muncie IN since i moved up here in Richmond, but i haven't been there yet. I think it is 1/8th mile.

Did you ever go to Tri-State in Hamilton when it was still there? That was a cool, mom and pop type of track. Great for testing stuff and goofing off.

Agree. I dont blame them for having events that put butts in seats. It is nice to have a decent 1/4 track within an hour drive, so i cant complain. I have been wanting to go up and check out the track in Muncie IN since i moved up here in Richmond, but i haven't been there yet. I think it is 1/8th mile.

Did you ever go to Tri-State in Hamilton when it was still there? That was a cool, mom and pop type of track. Great for testing stuff and goofing off.

I’ve been to just about all the ones in the tri state area. Tri State, Thornhill, Edgewater; Kil Kare. Didn’t know you were in Richmond. I have a few customers up there so I try to visit regularly.

I’ve been to just about all the ones in the tri state area. Tri State, Thornhill, Edgewater; Kil Kare. Didn’t know you were in Richmond. I have a few customers up there so I try to visit regularly.
Yeah, we moved up here to Richmond in 2014 (cheaper to buy land up here) . I'm from Harrison Ohio originally.

Yeah, we moved up here to Richmond in 2014 (cheaper to buy land up here) . I'm from Harrison Ohio originally.

Any good restaurants you go to? Been going up there for a few years so I’ve been to Shebas, the Italian place out of town, and Carvers. Lumpys out in Cambridge city was good too.

I just picked up the car yesterday from Laverne Ferrouillat in Mobile. He built a new big tube set of headers and moved the engine and transmission 1.375" forward and we installed a Pro Systems alcohol fuel system and carburetor. We think that it'll go 5.90's now, possibly 5.80's. I should be at the track by mid to late April. We did scale the car and it weighs 2630 without a driver. Keep your fingers crossed.
I saw Laverne race at Atmore a few times…. Fastest Duster I have ever seen….5.25 out of the trailer.
He knows how to build a car.

I saw Laverne race at Atmore a few times…. Fastest Duster I have ever seen….5.25 out of the trailer.
He knows how to build a car.
I think he's been 5.04 na with 422 cubes. He's very meticulous. The headers and fuel system that he made for the AMX is a work of art. If you ever around at a race with me. Come by and I'll show you his work

I think he's been 5.04 na with 422 cubes. He's very meticulous. The headers and fuel system that he made for the AMX is a work of art. If you ever around at a race with me. Come by and I'll show you his work

What size tubes did he use Vic

Here is a real *** kicker at my Friday night track.

Instead of running buy backs to come back for round two, They run the buy backs, then first round winners and they all come back for round three.

Now even the first round winners are forced to run an extra round and you get nothing extra.

Track claims the do that because its faster as we have a midnight curfew.

I claim BULLSHIT! so I never buyback unless people come to watch me race.

Any good restaurants you go to? Been going up there for a few years so I’ve been to Shebas, the Italian place out of town, and Carvers. Lumpys out in Cambridge city was good too.
My wife and I like to go to lunch at a place called Legend's Southside Bar. It is a small bar with good food. Legends Southside Bar

Since Camping World took over as the title sponsor for NHRA and the fact that NHRA owns Indianapolis Raceway Park they have killed bracket racing for the average guy.

No longer do you just race for points on Saturday, but now also Sunday as well. If you wish to race for championship points you have too race twice per weekend now.

The motorhomes start filing in on Friday night for Glamping and don't leave until late Sunday. Worse yet you only get one practice pass on Sunday.

I grew up racing Friday and Saturday at two different tracks. You got there at 5pm and went home around 2am. Those were the good days of racing.

Camping out on an asphalt parking for two nights in a $250,000 to $1,000,000 camper isn't in my budget, or idea of fun racing.

Tom
I got to do a victory lap at that track when I worked in the pits for a SCCA racer. Thought sure the driver was trying to rip the flag out of my hands with the wind! Just a super cool track, and a great memory!

Well just found out our (X) local track has cancelled the season and is throwing in the towel. Another great drag strip bites the dust. We really thought the addition of drifting would save it. Turns out all drift no drag. They are going to continue with drifting but no drag. Interstate (top end) raceway in Sabin Minnesota.

Wow that’s sad news. I hate when I hear about tracks going under. I guess I take for granted where I live and the amount of tracks within a reasonable distance for me.

Wow that’s sad news. I hate when I hear about tracks going under. I guess I take for granted where I live and the amount of tracks within a reasonable distance for me.

We were real close to losing two. Keystone and Quaker City were both on shaky ground until the Tedesco Family jumped in.

Well just found out our (X) local track has cancelled the season and is throwing in the towel. Another great drag strip bites the dust. We really thought the addition of drifting would save it. Turns out all drift no drag. They are going to continue with drifting but no drag. Interstate (top end) raceway in Sabin Minnesota.
That sucks! We may have lost Pine Valley Dragway in Diboll (Lufkin) Texas. It used to be an awesome venue!

-
Back