I have a Carter, not a Holley?

-

Ruger64

Reaction score
I know my carb needs rebuilt on my 65 Belverdere, I just bought the car.
I went up the garage and removed the air cleaner, and its a Carter?
Is this a bad thing?? Are they junk carbs compared to the Holley?
I don't know what numbers to use, so I took some photos.
Am I better off finding a Holley, or is the Carter a good carb, and do they make kits and floats for them? Here's some photos!

Found this number here??

Theres numbers here too?

It's a fine carburetor. Nothing wrong with it.

What is wrong with it?

spray some carb cleaner on it & drive it.

I second RRR on the carter carb being a good carb.

Nice detailed photos of the part in question though-- I commend your efforts--- sure beats the usual my car won't run question with 0 details or photos.

post up specific problems with remedies you have tried & you will get a plethora of answers some good some not.

Lawrence

Just check the accelerator pump once in a while to make sure that you're getting a good shot. they tend to wear and the shot gets weaker after a while.

Its running extremely rich, and the tail pipe is black. It is sputtering and feels terrible. I figured a rebuild was in order.
The tag is missing on the carb for the number.
The only numbers I see are stamped on it are:
6-1695
And
0-1611
They are the only thing stamped on the carb. I don't know if those will help me get a kit, since someone never put the tag back on the carb.

Its running extremely rich, and the tail pipe is black. It is sputtering and feels terrible. I figured a rebuild was in order.
The tag is missing on the carb for the number.
The only numbers I see are stamped on it are:
6-1695
And
0-1611
They are the only thing stamped on the carb. I don't know if those will help me get a kit, since someone never put the tag back on the carb.

tell the parts store the year and model of your car for the rebuild kit.

tell the parts store the year and model of your car for the rebuild kit.

I just called my local guy, he's an older fashioned parts store.
He said he was hoping for the tag.
The numbers I gave him were no good that is stamped on the carb itself.
He did say that from 1960-1967, the carter one barrels took the same kit.
But if mine is not the original carb, I dunno. I have no way of knowing.
I don't know wether to or not? Its kind of chancy. Why do people remove those damn tags!

I don't know wether to or not? Its kind of chancy. Why do people remove those damn tags!

I think that when they put them back together, they forget to put it back on and just say "f*ck it" if it's already together when they find it later...

I think that when they put them back together, they forget to put it back on and just say "f*ck it" if it's already together when they find it later...

Your exactly right. I don't know what to do. I am sure its the original carb, and being 60-67 takes the same kit. I should probably chance it.

Your exactly right. I don't know what to do. I am sure its the original carb, and being 60-67 takes the same kit. I should probably chance it.

I would. The gaskets and guts should be similar enough to work on yours. Usually they throw the different variations of gaskets in the kit, so "one kit fits all" of that series/family...

Just use the gaskets and parts that you need and save the rest for a "rainy day"....

I would. The gaskets and guts should be similar enough to work on yours. Usually they throw the different variations of gaskets in the kit, so "one kit fits all" of that series/family...

Just use the gaskets and parts that you need and save the rest for a "rainy day"....

Your probably right. It is more than likely the original.
I am going to order a float too, he had a number for one.
I hope that comes with the accelerator pump etc..And it all fits.
This kinda sucks. Maybe I should just take the time now, and slam a 2 barrel on it....:)

A carb is a simple device. Holley, Carter, Rochester or Stromberg's. When there not clean or worn out, that's when the problems start and the B.S, flies on how bad they suck.

A carb is a simple device. Holley, Carter, Rochester or Stromberg's. When there not clean or worn out, that's when the problems start and the B.S, flies on how bad they suck.

I rebuilt a lot of solex carbs on Beetles for years. I never tried one of these before.

I never had one of those in my hands ether. Or a side draft Weber, or a ..... LMAO!

Generally speaking, I don't think there is such a thing as a bad carb. True! Some better than others. Newer is always nicer. I would not want to run a carb from the 1920's. Modified rides can tax early stock carbs never designed for double and triple the out put.

my idea is carters are very good. i have done tons of them. WCFBS, AFBs, and 2 bbl, and 1 bbls. most of the 2-1 bbls have two screws that go from the top casting into the bottom casting, do NOT over tighten them. . else the casting will warp. . the 2 bbl float level is 1/4 " the AFB run good at 5/16" and the AFB float level is set with the lid upside down so a higher number is a lower level. on AFBs do NOT change the jet AND rod at the same time. you cant know what the change is. change the jet first when that is close then change the rods. on jets change a .060 by .001 is lots less than a .090 changed by .001.

I just ordered the kit from the little independent store down the street. He actually takes the time to look in books.
He did relook, and said the BBS takes the same kit from 60-71.
After relooking, he can't get me a float. Its obsolete. Ugh!! Hope my float is okay.

what he told you is VERY right. dont let that parts man get away. just for reff here is my AFB jetting inst set. Title: AFB and edelbrock carb / the short verson.

setting an AFB carb takes time. make only small changes. and give it time, dont make changes in an hour or two. drive it in different ways over a day or two. on AFBs or AVSs change only the jet OR rod at one time. and start with the jets. a .003" change can be felt if you try. dont forget .003" on a .060" jet is less change than .003" on a.100" jet. Then start changing the rod. A little is a LOT. i do have a computer program to cal any combo of changes. but it is lost in some main frame of my sons. Sometimes you can set the float level to 5/16”. the stock setting is 7/32. if at 5/16” at idle the fuel runs out of the main discharge nozzle reset to the stock setting. NOTE: do NOT change jets AND rods at the same time. Do not put the jets in tight, just snug is fine

Is that a BBD?

I've had ZERO problems in 30+ years with any of those I've ever had.

Never even had to rebuild one.

what he told you is VERY right. dont let that parts man get away. just for reff here is my AFB jetting inst set. Title: AFB and edelbrock carb / the short verson.

setting an AFB carb takes time. make only small changes. and give it time, dont make changes in an hour or two. drive it in different ways over a day or two. on AFBs or AVSs change only the jet OR rod at one time. and start with the jets. a .003" change can be felt if you try. dont forget .003" on a .060" jet is less change than .003" on a.100" jet. Then start changing the rod. A little is a LOT. i do have a computer program to cal any combo of changes. but it is lost in some main frame of my sons. Sometimes you can set the float level to 5/16”. the stock setting is 7/32. if at 5/16” at idle the fuel runs out of the main discharge nozzle reset to the stock setting. NOTE: do NOT change jets AND rods at the same time. Do not put the jets in tight, just snug is fine

Thanks very much! He is an older fashioned parts store. He takes the time to look things up.
I had a guy rebuild my holley 1920 on my Valiant, and he told me to drop off the Carter, and he will do it. He is pretty good. I don't know if I should try it myself, or let him do it.

What the heck is this?
I was just looking at the bottom of the carb.
Looks like someone put a screw into a existing hole. I can tell the hole is stock. But is there supposed to be a screw there? The screw don't look stock.

Thank you! I don't have a carb number to give them. I will check it out.

It does not matter. They can probably tell you what every casting number on that thing means.

What the heck is this?
I was just looking at the bottom of the carb.
Looks like someone put a screw into a existing hole. I can tell the hole is stock. But is there supposed to be a screw there? The screw don't look stock.

Is that supposed to be where the idle mixture screw should go???

That's f'ed up....

No, the fuel/air mixture is on the other side up further. I was trying to find it online. The only thing I seen one guy say is a vent hole???

-
Back