I have a Carter, not a Holley?

-
That's where a vacuum outlet port was. It probably fell off and got lost and someone put a screw in it. I am sure it leaks around the threads too. If it was mine, I would remove it and tap it for a set screw. Install the set screw with JB Weld on it and let it dry for a day or two.

UNLESS that's where the distributor vacuum advance went. Then you should replace the vacuum outlet and use it.

I went up and set the carb on it, to give an idea.
Here's where the vac advance is plugged into. It must work, it was screaming up the road, when I gave it throttle. I dunno?
I will plug that hole closed the right way.

Yup, that's the correct port for the vacuum advance.

Yup, that's the correct port for the vacuum advance.

Okay, so it was hooked up right. That place where the "wood screw" someone put in there, I am going to remove. My kit will be here tomorrow, if I am not brave enough, I may drop it off at the garage on Monday, and let them rebuild it. I watched a youtube clip, didn't look hard, but I dunno!
I did spray around the throttle shaft when it was running, seems okay there. Shaft is still tight.

Here ya go...Carter BBS. Kits and whole carbs are available. This carb has a good reputation.

The screw is hilarious.....there was a similar question a week or so ago about an extra hole in a Holley 1920....There is not any hole in the original carb where that screw is inserted in any FSM illustrations that I am looking at for this carb. The vacuum advance fitting is above there on the body of the carb where your last arrow points; it is ported vacuum. That added hole locatoin would give a modified 'sorta ported' vacuum; it is right above the throttle plate, at the level of idle transition slots. Yep, plug it.

They might have a rebuld vieo on this site; they sell your kits and the carbs.
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Carter-BBS-Carburetor-Parts_c_152.html

Here ya go...Carter BBS. Kits and whole carbs are available. This carb has a good reputation.

The screw is hilarious.....there was a similar question a week or so ago about an extra hole in a Holley 1920....There is not any hole in the original carb where that screw is inserted in any FSM illustrations that I am looking at for this carb. The vacuum advance fitting is above there on the body of the carb where your last arrow points; it is ported vacuum. That added hole locatoin would give a modified 'sorta ported' vacuum; it is right above the throttle plate, at the level of idle transition slots. Yep, plug it.

They might have a rebuld vieo on this site; they sell your kits and the carbs.
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Carter-BBS-Carburetor-Parts_c_152.html

Good Link!!! I will just remove the screw, and some jb weld. People amaze me! Otherwise, the car has been untouched. I guess they had to do something strange to it.

If that screw is that close to the throttle blades, then it shouldn't be ported vacuum port for the vacuum advance.

Plug it and make sure the threads are sealed with J B weld or Loctite etc....

If that screw is that close to the throttle blades, then it shouldn't be ported vacuum port for the vacuum advance.

Plug it and make sure the threads are sealed with J B weld or Loctite etc....

Its close, but not hitting the plate. I will plug it for sure! JB weld should do the trick!

that screw has been put in to a stock hole. the hole is a vapor vent. some times some vapor will pool above the plate. the hole lets it go out. so the next time the plates are opened it doesnt dump it into the engine and stall it out. way be fore EPA regs. many Carter carbs have them.

that screw has been put in to a stock hole. the hole is a vapor vent. some times some vapor will pool above the plate. the hole lets it go out. so the next time the plates are opened it doesnt dump it into the engine and stall it out. way be fore EPA regs. many Carter carbs have them.

Yes, Dan was just explaining that its supposed to be there. Of course, not with a wood screw....Ugh!
I will remove the screw. I am just concerned if they en largened the hole now. If that made sense? I don't know how big it is supposed to be.

Yes, Dan was just explaining that its supposed to be there. Of course, not with a wood screw....Ugh!
I will remove the screw. I am just concerned if they en largened the hole now. If that made sense? I don't know how big it is supposed to be.
Sounds like you got good info on the /6 forum.

I would try to chase the hole with the proper tap first to see if you can save any threads.

A vent hole??? Leading into the venturi? Hows that not cause a vacuum leak?

I've never had a Carter BBS but I've only heard good things about them. They appear to be a 1bbl version of the Carter BBD you see on many small-blocks.

A vent hole??? Leading into the venturi? Hows that not cause a vacuum leak?

I've never had a Carter BBS but I've only heard good things about them. They appear to be a 1bbl version of the Carter BBD you see on many small-blocks.

I agree with you. I have no idea. I was told by quite a few the hole belongs there.
Carb is done, tune up done.
And my car is still sputtering out the tailpipe, and running a bit rough. But has power.
I dunno. I give up!
My timing is even out of wack.
I couldn't get it to come up on the tab, "the mark on the pulley", so I cranked my timing light indicator on the gun, until the mark hit TDC, and it is at 32 degrees.
Should be at 2 1/2 BTDC. I am lost. The dizzy won't adjust no further. I give up!

-
Back