I Have a Confession to Make

-

dibbons

Reaction score
A relative got sentenced to a 40 year to life spell in State Prison. One day I decided to run the Harley he left behind and charge the battery a little. The throttle had some kind of screw where one could set a fast idle. I started the bike, set the idle somewhat faster with the set-screw thing, and then got side-tracked for a few minutes doing something else around the house/yard. When I returned to the garage, the bike was still running. However, the oil reservoir tank plug (rubber) had melted and was on the garage floor. The stinky, overheated oil (now the consistency of honey/molasses) was oozing out of the reservoir tank onto the floor. I shut the motor down, changed the oil/filter, kicked myself in the ***, and hoped for the best.

A friend of the family offered to sell the bike for the incarcerated owner and took it home with him one day. Sometime later, while riding the Harley somewhere, the motor went boom. He rebuilt the motor, could not find a buyer, and purchased the bike at a discount, being he had to spend whatever funds were necessary to rebuild the motor.

I failed to mention my part in this debacle to any of the involved parties (or anyone else for that matter). I guess an air-cooled engine can't withstand running at a fast idle without a certain air flow to limit operating temperatures. May God forgive me, it was an accident. True story.

harley.jpg

Don't worry about it it's just a Harley.

they have their own way of screwing things up. When you find one that doesn't have an oil leak let me know.

Harley was supposed to manufacture computers, they could not figure out how to make them leak oil.......:poke:

I accidentally ran over and killed a neighbor's cat, it ran under my rear wheel as I went around a corner. The cat made it to it's home before passing. I felt dreadful, and was going to go back when the owner was home to explain. A friend who was with me asked why? He logically pointed out that telling the owner's would only make me feel better, no one else would benefit, everyone's feelings would remain the same. Hope it helps.

-
Back