I heard this pop and then....

-
Interesting, yes.. The pinion turns but the wheels do not. Hmm. Yes, interesting. I'm no metallurgist, but I'd have to say somethings broke!

so I wedged the drive gear in the differential and took a pipe wrench to the pinion flange and could not get the pinion to move. I do not think it is broken. With the ring gear locked up, the pinion locked up too.
So back to the clutch pack in the differential, what happens when they go bad?
How do you check the clutches without taking it all apart.

It sounds as though you will need to take it apart to inspect it. I'm still wondering about the axles not being in all the way.

I'm assuming you have the chunk out? Can you post some pics of the axle shaft ends? Pics of the splines in the carrier? Pics of the axle bearings?

Just for grins, maybe someone can spot something. If you can do that before tearing into anything it might help.

what about the spider gears in the sure grip housing? They dont look broken, but they dont turn when I spin the pinion. The carrier spins, but the spider gears dont rotate within the housing.

I think it's inside the carrier and you have a spider/cross/clutch issue, that is the only way you can move somewhat until the pressure stops you.

If you have the p/l dana type those crosses break and do exactly what you are describing

LOL @ guys thinking the pinion is broken even after the guy mentions he pulled the center section and everything spins freely. Does one think a broken pinion will snap and just sit there and not get bound up in anything else thats spinning in the rearend?? Wouldnt one immediately notice a broken pinion after removing the center section? Come on...
Put the factory style bearings in it and reassemble....

I think it's inside the carrier and you have a spider/cross/clutch issue, that is the only way you can move somewhat until the pressure stops you.

If you have the p/l dana type those crosses break and do exactly what you are describing
Heres your answer.

The problem is inside the carrier, do you have 2pc power lock version, looking at it from the outside.

If thats what you have the issue is inside and its going to be broken cross or broken spiders from the cross

so I wedged the drive gear in the differential and took a pipe wrench to the pinion flange and could not get the pinion to move. I do not think it is broken. With the ring gear locked up, the pinion locked up too.
So back to the clutch pack in the differential, what happens when they go bad?
How do you check the clutches without taking it all apart.

Certainly sounds carrier related then. Unless the pinion gear is broken and wedged together tighter than you can turn it.

ok here are a couple of pics..
one is a pic of the green axle bearings with the ring around the base. The other 2 are of each of the axle shaft splines. Looks like 1 is messed up.
Those rings at the base of the bearings sit flush on the outside out the axle shaft housing. So if I took those rings off, the axle would sit further into the splines in the differential.

Attachments

• axle 005adj.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 185
  • axle 002adj.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 218
  • axle 001adj.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 183
It almost looks as though the one axle wasn't completely seated in the carrier. It made the first set of splines and just touched the second. Either that or it was hammered in when assembled. How do the splines look in the suregrip?

I couldn't get a good pic of the inside splines. From what I can see, the splines inside look ok. I think I will call the guy i got the bearings from and see what he thinks about it. He said that the bearings with the rings would fit properly. If one shaft didnt seat in to both sets of splines in the housing then what would that do?

The car would still be with one axle not fully seated. . .
The axle doesn't look like its got a problem, the splines aren't worn or twisted.
You aren't going to see the problem from the side, look at the carrier remove it and then take it apart.
The rule of thumb for axle engagement is this.... if the axle is say 1" in diameter you want 1" of engagement, if it's 1.75 you want 1.75 ect ect

I think I am just going to find a set of 3.55 gears and take the whole thing to a shop and have them go through it. I bought it used and for that reason, I really dont know what kind of shape this is in. As far as the pop sound I heard goes...Something for sure did pop, but I still cant find anything visibly broken. It must be internal in the sure grip unit.
Its no wonder I got such a "good" deal on this thing.

So I replaced my non working sure grip 3.23 center section with an open unit with a 2.76 gear until I can get my sure grip fixed..At least I will be able to drive the car. I plan on a complete rebuild on the sure grip unit with a 3.55 gear. Hopefully I can get it done in time for the NATS. I want to do some good burn outs this year in Heath. Maybe I will run across a good used unit between now and before I start the rebuild.

-
Back