I heard this pop and then....

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
Actually I heard a pop when I was accellerating away from a stop sign and then it felt like the rear end was slipping. I would give it gas and hear a low moaning sound from the rear and the car sits still even though in gear. It is a 4 speed with a 8 3/4 clutch type sure grip. Is there something in the clutch that would make 1 pop sound then not function. I wasn't "gettin on it" when this happened and if I only apply lite acceleration, the car will move a little until it starts to slip as my foot goes further down on the accelerator.
If it was a broken pinion, wouldn't it make a lot of racket and not move at all?
What sucks is that I just put this rear in the car 2 months ago and have been unable to really drive any until now. And now it's broken again..
I bought it used last year and just got it in.
I hope it is just the clutches inside the thing that are broken.
Does the ring gear need to be removed in order to fix the clutch pack in the rear?

Dan

I may be mistaken but if the clutches go out I believe it will just operate like an open diff.

Is the driveshaft turning?

A failed rear end makes a lot of noise.

Sounds more like a clutch issue. You say it will move, but slips with more power. If the rear end is the problem the driveshaft will spin with the car stopped.

B.

Maybe a broken axle? Did you jack up the rear and see if both the wheels turn the diff?

A broken axle or pinion gear will make almost no noise but stop the beast dead in its tracks.

With a sure grip the clutches will try to move the car with the one axle that is not broken.

a broken axle would suck....they are realitively new aftermarket axles...not sure of the manufacturer....I know that with the car in gear and turned off, it rolled off the back of the tow truck like it was in neutral, but I couldnt push it with just my body. It didnt fall off the truck, that's not what I meant, I was just saying as he rolled it off with his hoist, the car was still in first, but the wheels were turning like it was in neutral.
I am gonna pull it apart tonight when I get homne and see what I can find out.

i had this problem on a chebby z71. my pinion bearing failed causing it to drop into the ring gear. it locked me up to the point i couldnt drive foward but could go backwards. a temporary fix was to flip the axle around backwards and use the front wheel drive to move it around out of the way

With a sure grip the clutches will try to move the car with the one axle that is not broken.

Depends on which type sure grip it is and how good a condition it's in. A track lock flat out sucks and will slip like all hell with a broken axle. A Dana power lock on the other hand, will keep pulling like the axle never broke.

ok..so far, I've jacked up the rear, tried to turn the back wheels with car in 1st gear. I could not turn them by hand. Then, started car and put in 1st gear, released clutch and both wheels turn. Had wife sit in car and apply brake/no clutch and I looked underneath to see both tires stopped(by the brakes) and the driveshaft still turning the rear end. No weird sounds except when I give it some gas then I hear a tinny sound from rear.
So I removed the axles...not broken....took out the center section...I can find nothing visibly wrong with the carrier...everything spins smoothly.
So being a clutch type posi, and an older one at that, could the clutch disks slip to cause this problem. Could it be the "new" green axle bearings I recently installed not allowing the axle shaft to go into the 2 sets of splines in the carrier far enough. The "new" green bearings have a snap ring around the outside that hold them against the axle housing. I was told it was a new design to help keep the retainer plate centered properly. I hope if I took off the snap ring, the axle would go farther into the housing and maybe catch the 2 sets of splines deeper. Or maybe it is the clutches in the sure grip went bad. I should just take the chunk to a shop and have it rebuilt so I know it's good. I would like to change gears to a 3.55. The axles are aftermarket and have the letters M and E stamped on the end where the wheels bolt up.

I bet a dollar the pinion gear is snapped.

I saw no evidence that the pinion gear snapped..The splines at the end of the axle shafts looked ok..I did see a little bit of scratchiness at the end of one of them, but it just looks like it happened when they were installed. Nothing that would say it was grinding on anything.
Has anyone used the new green axle bearings with the snap ring on it or even hear about it

I saw no evidence that the pinion gear snapped..The splines at the end of the axle shafts looked ok..I did see a little bit of scratchiness at the end of one of them, but it just looks like it happened when they were installed. Nothing that would say it was grinding on anything.
Has anyone used the new green axle bearings with the snap ring on it or even hear about it

Yes, you did. You said yourself that the driveshaft was spinning and the wheels were not. That means power is not getting to the ring gear. End of story.

Is this a two peice driveline with the rubber dampener built into it?
And when it's in gear is the WHOLE driveline spinning, including the pinion yoke?

Yes, you did. You said yourself that the driveshaft was spinning and the wheels were not. That means power is not getting to the ringer gear. End of story.

Yup I caught that also and was wondering why this story keeps going on??
If what you said is true that your wife stepped on the brakes, the tires stopped and the driveshaft kept spinning. You found the monkey.

Can I ask this again?

And when it's in gear is the WHOLE driveline spinning, including the pinion yoke?

Can I ask this again?

It is a 2 piece driveshaft with a stub and slip joint in the shaft. I got rid of the ball and trunion joint. And yes the pinion yoke spins with the driveshaft.
With the center section removed from the axle housing I can turn the pinion and see it spinning and still turning the main drive gear. Should I try to lock up the differential and crank on the pinion to see if it will still turn? I guess if the pinion is broke and still wedged up against the broken other half it might not look broken and maybe still turn the drive gear.

Should I try to lock up the differential and crank on the pinion to see if it will still turn?

I would give that a try. It may force the broke piece out, if in fact it is a broken pinion, now that the driveshaft isn't holding it back.

Jamb the ring gear with a peice of wood and turn the pinion with a pipewrench and see what happens.
I was kinda hoping it was the dampener rubber that let go.

It is a 2 piece driveshaft with a stub and slip joint in the shaft. I got rid of the ball and trunion joint. And yes the pinion yoke spins with the driveshaft.
With the center section removed from the axle housing I can turn the pinion and see it spinning and still turning the main drive gear. Should I try to lock up the differential and crank on the pinion to see if it will still turn? I guess if the pinion is broke and still wedged up against the broken other half it might not look broken and maybe still turn the drive gear.

-
Back