I hope I dont screw this up!!!!

-

mrnurse

Reaction score
well, it is that time. TIme for me to start posting a build thread!!!! YAY!!! anyways, I have myself a 1970 dart swinger two door. and for the last year I have been saving buying a few parts here and there and dismanteling my car. I am down to getting the engine and trans out then all that will be left is the suspension. I started my first actual "work" on the car yesterday and cut the rot out of the drivers side floor board. I have some patch panels from ebay and they really do not fit that great, I am kinda thinking about replacing the entire floor from AMD but that is just costly...... anyways I will post a few pictures when I get home. I do have a plan for my resto. its clean and its simple its not a power house that will destroy the road and and everything withing 500 yards of my car. I will get more into detail when i am home and can post pictures. until then.......YAY I got started!!!!!

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 414
Good deal, keep us posted with progress photos; always cool to see how things are progressing.
Good luck with your build.

sorry that was before the crazy trim/window/door/interior thrash of a removal happened........I think working in systems is going to be the most productive way to tackle this. first will be rust repair and and paint then suspension. the on to drivetrain electrical and finaly interior.

sounds like a good plan, only I would say do the paint last
that way you dont have to worry about scratching it while you are doing everything else

looks like its going to be fun make sure you continue to post new pics

yeah I am not too pleased with them so far, but I guess its the general shape. a guy that buys fixes and sells these mopars tells me that he has used steel from a washing machine to patch floor panels before........think i would have been so much more happy had i just bought the entire floor from AMD though.......

Yeah. I'm not making a show car but I think fitting a better stamped part would have been more simple

ok, i work 12 hour shifts, its dark when i leave in the morning and dark when I get home at night. I will be off Sunday and will take/post some pictures then. I am sending some money off for a hood when I get off today and Sunday will be dropping the fenders off to have then chemically striped. the doors have some primer on them and have zero rust!!!YAY!!!! not so lucky on the fenders. I need to finish pulling the dash, pull the door hinges and rebuild them. a guy on here does that and to be honest I would rather the hinges be rebuilt correctly than see if I can do that. I talked to a friend of my wifes that has a son that is a welder and he is gonna help out on the floor. I would like to have the car blasted but thats almost a grand!!!!! yikes!!! we will have to see about that until then I am ok with paint stripper and putty knives.......

Good luck with the build. How bad are the floors? I bought a pan off here from a member and did mine. I also used the front floor patches from Rock Auto. They are not an exact drop in fit but they worked pretty good. Also the $30 harbor freight sand blaster worked pretty good for me. It would take for ever to do a whole car and you wouldnt want to because of heat but it works good on small areas where the rust is heavier. I used it with stuff called Black Blast from hardware store its like $7 for 50lb bag

ok, only one picture right now. this is the floor cut out. I really really think I want to just replace the entire floor pan. I will be installing a bucket seat interior and will be needing to find the brackets for the center console........oh and as of rigth now it will be the stock 904 going back in.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 221
I'll take some pictures of the frame rail and post it. It is full of holes

so there is a company out there called rust busters or something like that. anyways, they make all the front and rear OE style frame pieces. I am not sure how bad mine are. if it comes to that, how bad of a job would it be to replace those? I am really begining to think that due to the lack of time and tools and know how, that i would be better off getting a loan and having the body/floor/rust fixed and painted then doing the mechanical part myself..........I want to do this, but i do not want to screw it up.

Have fun with it. I think I'll bookmark this. Here's my 70. Great year for Darts!
01.jpg

-
Back