I made my own manual brake pushrod - what do you guys think?

-

Weak440

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I converted to manual brakes a couple years ago and thought that I had bought the wrong push rod because I felt like my brake pedal sat too high.

This last year I tracked one down from a guy (can't remember his name) at a swap meet that just does Mopar brakes... He assured me that He had the correct pushrod for my application ('74 Duster).

I got home and pulled the pushrod that I had out of the car and compared the two. Yep... they were identical lengths. :mumum:

I went ahead and swapped the pushrods and made sure the new one was seated in the piston of the master cylinder correctly. Yep, the brake pedal was still just a little too high off the floor for me.

So, I finally had the time to make an adjustable pushrod of my own. I cut the head off of an ARP bolt (chromolly bolt?) and turned down a 1" thick bar of 4130 Chromolly. I drilled and tapped one end for the bolt and drilled an oversized (slightly) 9/16" hole on the other. I used a face mill to put a flat on either side. The final width is 9/16" wide.

I haven't had a chance to put it in the car yet. I wanted to run this idea past you guys before I do it. What do you guys think? Good or bad idea?

Attachments

• 0306131954.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 631
  • 0306131954a.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 598
I could make one of those, but it wouldn't be that pretty, LOL

Looks good! I agree with dragin, a back stop may be a good thought. Once you get it adjusted where you want it, I would locktite the threads.

Cut the same recess in the steel end for the rubber to secure it in the rear piston. An o-ring may work on the one you have. Very nice job. Another example of why tools and equipment are a good investment.

Purdy :)
I haven't looked at how the pivot end attaches and what clearence is provided.
Since the OEM is rounded you may need to knock off those corners ( closest to your thumb in the pics ). Make sure its right before you connect the battery cable.

Cut the same recess in the steel end for the rubber to secure it in the rear piston. An o-ring may work on the one you have. Very nice job. Another example of why tools and equipment are a good investment.

Well said Oldmanmopar, X2 :cheers:

Looks great! There are 2 spots for seals on the orig pushrod? Its hard to tell in the pics, but in the last pic, the orig one looks like there are 2 grooves right by your pinky finger....

Have you noticed any loss in braking with the shorter stroke?

nice work very nice work, i have a list i can send you of stuff I need done, just kidding! oh and the list was ment as a compliment.

nice work.
but why doesn't the mopar one work?
the pedal sits up high with the mopar one.i have the same deal. got mine out of /6 disc brake car and it sits up a little higher than stock....

The MP rod doesn't work because it's not supposed to, as far as I've been able to tell it's ONLY a retrofit piece for adapted plastic res MCs (bracket is about 5/8" thick and jogs the MC to the side for BB/Hemi VC clearance).

See hurrr

Nice piece. I wish I had the tools you have and the knowledge to run them. Luckily I have a machinist at work who will make just about anything for me.

-
Back