I might have finally gone completely nuts

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
We all have "that moment," right?

I've been thinking about this..........

Buy a SB Chev or maybe an old Olds or B/ RB Mopar Hilborn style setup and convert to SBM

You can BUY SBM intake flanges or hell, BUILD them. Laborously cut them out. Build a valley cover. Build the flanges out of something "thick" like, maybe (guessing?) 3/8 steel.

Then cut apart an Olds / B/ RB or SBC Hilborn setup and bolt THAT to the SBM flanges with tapped holes in the flanges, after using countersunk bolts to fasten the flanges / valley assy to the SBM engine previously

(When I say "cut apart," I mean CUT THEM APART!!!!)

Of course we are !!!! NOT !!! talking about an effin mechanical system !!! anymore, are we !!! We are, of course, talking about converting the thing to EFI, now, ain't we.

Ideas? Alternative? injector bodies?

I was even thinking? of a Weiand tunnel ram base with 4bbl carb bases? for throttle bodies? modified? for throttle bodies?

Even went so far as to get into a Great Big Fight with the "parts counterman" down at O'Reallys? the other day trying to get a SBC intake gasket so's I can compare the two gasket sets.

I have no idea, yet, how the ports on olds, B/ RB, and SBM compare!!!!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 623
Yup no doubt about it Uh huh. Yep Yep Yep No sense closing that gate since the horse is already out of the barn.

I thought I had seen a small block Mopar setup for sale on eBay a while back. I know there's a few guys floating around on eBay that do custom fuel injection setups and efi conversions. As you can see in these pictures they've fabbed an adapter flange for this conversion.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/HILBORN-INJECTION-CONVERSION-KIT-FOR-331-354-392-HEMI-/220783976440?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3367c01ff8"]Hilborn Injection Conversion Kit for 331 354 392 Hemi | eBay[/ame]

View attachment 14.jpg

View attachment 15.JPG

View attachment 16.JPG

That's another idea I've toyed about doing except on my early Hemi.

I thought I had seen a small block Mopar setup for sale on eBay a while back. .

You have to be DAMN careful. Some of these stupid Chuvvy heads assume "that's the only engine on earth" and there's some stroker combo that is 360 CID er somethin. So you have to read between the lines. One tipoff, of course, is the distributor hole in the back.

HERE is a serious question. Any of you guys have a used or new set of SB and BB intake gaskets or heads, you can lay side by side and get a good shot of port comparison? No I realize the "end to end" spacing will not be the same, but you can take a B/RB setup and saw 'em in half, so each pair of two ports can then be adjusted.

That third pic is of another early Hemi. But I know what you mean about almost everything being for Chebbies.

surely someone out there doing some efi for the sb mopar!??? I can visualize those stacks poking thru the hood on some early A's !!!!
O'reilly???? key there is find one of their guys that have a real interest in old cars, taking the time to help us nuts! LOL
went to a city o 'reilly and couldn't even get another qt of valvaline plain ole 30 wt, half for mower,,,, had to go to "country" o reilly! LO
perhaps you need to find shop or individual building the high end "pro touring" stuff???? surely they don't all run hemi's?!??????

Need to get in touch with Ed.....805MoparKid....shop he works at has done a electronic Hilborn set up...don't remember the name of the company that they got the parts from...also Richard at FASTMANEFI, he has already done this several times....

Picture page at FASTMANEFI, hope you did not think you were the first person to completely lose it....

Dart done by SS/AFX....

View attachment bob027 [180x113].jpg

Lately I've been investigating "ITBs" off of various stuff like off some of the big bikes, some of them are 46mm, and found out the Chrysler LHS TBs are fairly cheap to be had

This guy made a setup for an LS1

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDCzR1mBG_E"]Movie LS1 LS2 ITB fabrication from photos_0002.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

I had more in mind something "more simple" like a cross flow steel tube fabricated / welded manifold "underhood" profile. Well, um, it IS fun to dream

350CHEVYfront.jpg

Is this "trying to get from here to there" project, or a "I wanna build something cool that no one else has" kind of project?

Might have a look at Weber Carb intake to EFI conversions & conversion parts. Something like this from Borla (TWM) Induction:

Still not cheap, but much more common parts.
Two options that I know of:
http://www.borlainduction.com/
http://www.inglese.com/

Unless that's not the look that you're after......

I want to say that some of the SBC mech. injection intakes are 5 pieces where the intake flanges and lifter valley plate are one piece, and then there are 4 intake runner pieces that bolt to the flange/plate. Not sure who made them or how common they might be. BBC's also have siamesed intake ports, but they'll be huge for an SBM.

It's more like "low budget backyard let's see how cheap we can do this"

I nearly bought a multipiece SBC Milodon? Hilborn style setup but finally decided the bores were way too big, I think they were 2 7/16? Probably 2" would be more like

I think I can build a valley and intake flanges. Not having them vertical would help hood clearance. I might even be all wet here as this might never get done LOL

Thanks, LOL, but I don't see me affording anything like that

I like it. Ive always thought those look so cool... like somebody mentioned fastman has done EFI this way on a few I believe...

JOE

There was actually a few seasons they ran injected small blocks mopar indy cars with stack injection on them

yep...nuts

luck and power to ya. though!

It never hurts to look. I spend more time window shopping than buying. But every now and then really good deals pop up. I think 75% of what I buy is used. I usually hit every swap meet I can so I can stretch my dollars. I try to keep up on eBay and Craigslist and RacingJunk.com for the same reason.

You cun always tell the Chivvy guys LOL I had one a few weeks ago "you'll never find one they don' make em"

Maybe we should count our blessings when these parts are so hard to find. The easiest thing to build is a Chebby. I like the idea of having a car that isn't a mirror image of everyone else's. They were selling new crate 350s for $650 at the swap meet yesterday. I could have bought almost a dozen of them for what I'm paying for my 408. But drinking the Kool Aid doesn't appeal to me. That having been said, it's still no wonder why the GM crowd outnumbers us at the car shows.

For the time and material needed to just build the valley and flanges I think it would be easier to buy a cheap air gap intake and cut the carb base and runners off. Then you can get ideas and parts here, including EFI.

http://ingleseinductionsystems.com/#

Yeah, maybe a little nuts. But, I remember a red '71(?) Road Runner a few years back that had a setup like that on a big block. People loved it. I got a lot of respect for people that aren't afraid to build something other than the same-old-same-old.

-
Back