I must ask a dumb question

-
No you can run them on the street just fine. But as mentioned, have a fat check book. Yes they require about 1K bucks in the valve train done right.

The w2 heads are not much more expensive then j heads with roller rockers

I went w2 and spent 1k on harland sharp rockers ... bought an intake for the w2 heads .. other then that not much different then stock heads and exhaust headers .. but stock headers would work on the right heads

Thank you guys for this info.. I was simply curious and after finding out the info provided I will probably be going with EQ heads, if I need them.

Thank you guys for this info.. I was simply curious and after finding out the info provided I will probably be going with EQ heads, if I need them.

I will never understand this. If you don't have heads, why not W-2's?? You will spend just as much correcting geometry, buying aftermarket rockers and all that and the W-2's make WAY more power. Rockers cost the same (unless you are using stock junk) manifolds cost the same, headers cost the same. I just spent a buttload to build Pcar heads so I know. I have W-2's sitting there now. I can tell you had I had the w-2's from the start I would not even have looked and a production head. Even with all my port work, all my testing of valve jobs etc, the W-2's will be 75-80 HP better if I never lay a grinder to them. You are much more lift limited on Pcar heads. They don't have enough cross section, especially if you are using a stroker deal. The exhaust port SUCKS, BLOWS, STINKS AND SMELLS TO THE END OF THE WORLD and no amout of welding and grinding will ever fix that.

So I would say to you to stop and reconsider.
Spend your money once.

BTW, it wasn't a dumb question. It's very valid. Just do ALL the math and cipherin' before you spend any money.

I will never understand this. If you don't have heads, why not W-2's?? You will spend just as much correcting geometry, buying aftermarket rockers and all that and the W-2's make WAY more power. Rockers cost the same (unless you are using stock junk) manifolds cost the same, headers cost the same. I just spent a buttload to build Pcar heads so I know. I have W-2's sitting there now. I can tell you had I had the w-2's from the start I would not even have looked and a production head. Even with all my port work, all my testing of valve jobs etc, the W-2's will be 75-80 HP better if I never lay a grinder to them. You are much more lift limited on Pcar heads. They don't have enough cross section, especially if you are using a stroker deal. The exhaust port SUCKS, BLOWS, STINKS AND SMELLS TO THE END OF THE WORLD and no amout of welding and grinding will ever fix that.

So I would say to you to stop and reconsider.
Spend your money once.

BTW, it wasn't a dumb question. It's very valid. Just do ALL the math and cipherin' before you spend any money.

Since Im already running stock magnum heads (which may be cracked), I already have all the valve train geometry, and hardware to run the EQ's so Im money ahead. Im not looking for high performance 400+HP. Just a simple 9.5 compression engine to cruise with.

Now if I was building more of a race car, sure I would go with the W2's and probably spend the money on them. I know someone that has a set of them they did not use, and said if I wanted to run them I could buy them from him. I just knew nothing about them, other than more performance.

Since Im already running stock magnum heads (which may be cracked), I already have all the valve train geometry, and hardware to run the EQ's so Im money ahead. Im not looking for high performance 400+HP. Just a simple 9.5 compression engine to cruise with.

Now if I was building more of a race car, sure I would go with the W2's and probably spend the money on them. I know someone that has a set of them they did not use, and said if I wanted to run them I could buy them from him. I just knew nothing about them, other than more performance.

Yep... X2

No sense in spending big money on W2's if your not pushing for big power. If you're going for a great daily street driven vehicle with mild performance then the EQ heads are well worth it. I'm going this route as well, I'm looking at getting EQ heads soon as well.
Yes W2's are nice, but not worth it to me as not even 5% of my driving is going to be at the track. The money I save from getting EQ heads will go into either a thermoquad rebuild or a new Street Demon carb.

-
Back