I need help......bad

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
my son and I started this resto on my 76 Duster. He was a mechanic, I am not.Car is completely done except for some wiring in the engine bay. He is no longer with us and I am left to figure this out. There is a black wiring block in the center of the firewall that has 4 or 5 plug ins to it. I know the first one on the top left goes to the wiper motor. the rest I have no clue. can anyone tell me where the rest go. Is there any wiring diagrams out there that will show me this or how do I go about getting this figured out. I have all the wires that plug in there its just I dont know where they go. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Bill

I will try to get a picture of what mine looks like later on today, I am sorry about your son.

3 connectors, keyed so they fit only one way. wiper harness, engine harness, forward light harness. A factory service manual would be a great help.

You need to get a factory service manual, either on CD/ DVD, or printed. In the meantime, even though it's incorrect, the free (did I mention FREE) service manual download posted on this site could give you some insight:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

and "this other place" has diagrams that might be of some help:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php

On the left menu, select "tools and reference" and go to "wiring diagrams" which leads you to these:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1976/76ValiantA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1976/76ValiantB.jpg

If you look at the '72 download manual posted above, look up the diagrams for the bulkhead connector. THIS MAY BE DIFFERENT than yours but will illustrate the point. There are three sections to the bulkhead connector, and ALL THREE are unique, which means that you can NOT screw it up. Only the correct harness will plug into the correct section, and in the correct manner!!!

Below is a screenshot right out of that manual I posted. This is a photo of the inside and outside of the bulkhead for a '72. NOTICE that there are "keys" in different places, thus making each connector unique Also notice they are notated alphabetically.

6hmcr7.jpg

Now if you go back up the page and look at the "My Mopar" diagrams I posted for your year, you'll see they are not drawn quite as detailed, but still show the same alphabetic notation:

This is a screenshot of part of that diagram. The righthand side is the firewall mount, the left side is what connects to the firewall end of the harness

bfu5k.jpg

For example, you said you had the wiper harness hooked up. If you look at the "My Mopar" diagrams, you'll see the connector is "ABCD EFGH" I don't know how the connector is oriented in your vehicle, but in mine it's the top section of the connector.

thanks for the info. This may work. This shows 3 connectors for the box. I think I have 4. do you know where I can get a cd manual for the 76 Duster. thanks,Bill

thank you, I appreciate all the help I can get. I need to know where the wires go to from the connectors if you know.

thank you, I appreciate all the help I can get. I need to know where the wires go to from the connectors if you know.

You can find these routinely on ebay. Once you read a little and look at the diagrams, you'll figure out where they go, just look on the diagram and look at the wire colors.

For example, the harness section going to the alternator will have one of the larger wires in the harness, with a big 1/4" eyelet on the end for the alternator stud. It will have a blue and green wire with single "push on" connectors for the alternator field, and I believe another "L" shaped connector that pushes onto the temperature gauge sender. Once you start to find out "what goes where" they almost lay down naturally.

It might pay you to find a similar car locally, and take some pictures.

If you need help with how they "lay down" just make a post with a title something like, "76 Duster, engine bay wiring." and ask for photos of members rides showing harness routing.

THINK a little please, before you make a title on a post. Titles like this one, "I need help" might be great if the house is on fire, or if "you've fallen and can't get up" but "I need help" does not tell the members here very much about what you need.

got it. with what I have been through lately with my son, it is a wonder I can even function.he was 25. This will be my way of escaping. He was my life. Thanks to all of you for your help. I may need some more later. Bill

I take it you lost him? Very sorry. I lost a cousin to cancer when he was 26. Really nice guy, married to a marvelous woman, and two little girls at the time. That was back in the mid '70's and I still think about him

-
Back